Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Palm Rest (Read 5663 times)
Van
Senior Forum Member

Palm Rest
Nov 23rd, 2008 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Who sells palm rests besides Montana Arm and CPA? 

thanks van

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Re: Palm Rest
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2008 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2008 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
I've purchased both of the Jeff's Oufitters palm rests, and both are well made, but the tuning fork Win. style is not a good choice as is. It is extremely long, and has no adjustment to shorten it. The other door knob style he has is a great one though!

IP Logged

Van
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2008 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
right now Jeff only shows the tuning fork rest.
still looking
thanks van

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2008 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Van
Neal Rice makes one of the best palm rests available. I've been using one for some years. You can see how it looks on page 99 of Loading and Shooting Traditional Schuetzen Rifles, A Beginner's Guide (available form the ASSRA at the top of the For Sale/Trade page). Shoot me an email and I'll send you Neal's phone number. He may not have his shop completely up and running but I believe he is doing gunsmithing work.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2008 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Some also adapt the Anschutz palm rest to their rifle, which is very adjustable.

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 2:01am
Print Post  
I have not been around a rifle with a palm rest! Do the palm rests really 
do the job for support? 

thanks Randy

Do The Best With What You Got !!!

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Depends on the Rifle. 

Normal sporter style light rifle they are not much advantage, changes the entire position.  Muzzle heavy Schuetzen with Hook buttplate they are essential and part of the whole rig.   

Using the palm rest you can carry the majority of the rifles weight on your hip-bone. and adjust the length to suit were ever your hip bone happens to be.  With the weight forward your buttplate wants to come adrift, so Hook plates are necessary to keep things in place and lined up nice.

Now that the weight is on your hip and buttplate is keeping things lined up there is minimum support required from your cheek which can really steer the rifle off if pressure is inconsistent.  Once all is hanging nice trigger hand does not have to do anything but release the trigger, the most important job of all.

Boats

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 10:14am
Print Post  
 What Boats says is spot on. I have used several different palm rest over the years, but there is one thing about palm rests that bothers me.

Personally I don't use a palm rest anymore as my elbow doesn't come anywhere near resting on my hip bone unless I bend over farther than the old body will tolerate.  Smiley

Do an experiment....... Take a short, say 2", stick and hold it between your thumb and fore finger. Notice the movement of the end of the stick. Now take a stick 6" long and notice the movement. If you're like me there is a lot more movement with the longer stick.

Seems to me if you add an extra 6" or so of a palm rest to the distance from your hip to the bottom of the fore arm you will get more movement than without it. I don't know about you guys but there's more than enuf movement without the palm rest than I like.

Also, all the pictures I see of modern offhand shooters show them using the heel of their hand, the "V" between thumb and forefinger, or at the very most their finger tips. To me this would make a lot more sense as you cut the distance down as far as possible.

PETE

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 10:29am
Print Post  
I've grown to love a palm rest for offhnad shooting, and find that if the length, angle, and position are correct, the gun will actually balance from the palm rest. 
The problem with a gun that wont allow your elbow to rest on your hip is more a case of the wrong length palm rest, or too far forward. The palm rest wont allow the barrel to wave about if the knob or grip is held with some tension. That's one of the advantages of the large knob or tuning fork, to get a decent grasp on the rest.

I see Jeff's Outfitters doesn't carry the doorknob style rest any longer. Too bad, as it had more adjustment than the Win. tuning fork has. I had to cut and shorten the shaft on my tuning fork rest to get it to the proper length.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 6:54am
Print Post  
Pete,

I use thumb and forefinger as well as the glove reverse hand 'V" rest.  But on rifles in matches were the rules dictate what you can use.   

Thumb and forefinger on Silhouette rifles that don't allow hook buttplates or gloves, Balance on those guns is about or just forward of the trigger guard. And have my thumb on the guard. That position relies heavily on cheek pressure and having the guns butt in a shoulder "pocket"  It's the best way to shoot a silhouette rifle, look down the line at a match and it's the one you see most often.

I don't have a modern over the course rifle however my old match 03 and the M1's I used to shoot hold the rifle with a shooting glove and reverse "V" hand position. Elbow is close to my body and with a sticky elbow pad on the shooting coat it sort of sticks to the front of the coat. It's not on my hip.  Again it's a function of the rules.  That position is pretty universal for high power shooters even today. 10 M airguners use this one too. Again with a coat and glove.

What works for an individual is what is best for them. Many guys that came up in one discipline or another will favor the position they know and trust. Schuetzens under our rules are essentially "free" rifles, you can shoot about anything you want and see wide variety on the line.  I don't know that one positon is any better than another.

Boats

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Boats,

I'm with you. A lot depends on the fore end shape. For Schuetzen style stocks with there major butt stock drops and skinny fore ends I go with the thumb fore and middle finger, altho if possible I'll rest the fore arm on the knuckles. Anything to keep the distance from the elbow to the center line of the barrel as short as possible. More modern rifles with deeper fore arms I'll use the reverse "V". I don't own a glove but I'm sure they would be handy.

I'll also agree that what works for you is the way to go. As has been said many times.... That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint