Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 310 shop web address (Read 10860 times)
Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: 310 shop web address
Reply #15 - Nov 27th, 2008 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Thop, at the risk of using up too much bandwidth on this specific question, I think the answers from boats and tar baby pretty much sum up all I could tell you, except to say be careful buying the older tong tools... you must get adjustable dies to make this work.  I have the later, blued, dies that were sold separately from the handles and were virtually the same as those provided for the Tru-Line Jr press.  If you shop wisely on flea-bay or at gun shows, you can probably find an excellent press and set of dies for less than the going price of a good set of 7/8 X14 dies and have a dedicated press for that caliber.  Other dies, as mentioned by boats, can be used for a variety of calibers with just a small number of additional pieces.

If you would like to continue this in as many details as you wish, I'm available via PM or at my e-mail address, <gfrog53ATyahooDOTcom> (which can be edited to work properly.)  I may even have an extra T-L Jr press kicking around if you decide to go that way... I have set them up for several dedicated calibers/applications.

Froggie

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Using up more bandwith and like our Friend the Azure Amphibian said 310's and Tru Lines are very useful for dedicated jobs.   

310 tool is a great de-capper however it's best use is seating bullets on pre-sized and capped cases at the range while working up loads. Keep mine  with the  handle bushing for the 30/30 ctg which lets me load 32/40 & 38/55 as well as tweak my breech seating brass, and fits my shooting box nicely. Note my 38/55 loading is with a 38/56 die set  found at a gun show.   

Tru Line JR set up as a dedicated press for straight wall cases is also handy to have around. Mine is set for 38 spl and stays that way.  Have my eyes out for another to keep set up for .45 LC

Got that idea from Froggy.

Boats

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #17 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 9:13am
Print Post  
OK, I can't resist another quick shot or two about one of my long-time loading hobbies, using and collecting the "little dies" for the 310s and T-L Jrs.  Before I had the opportunity to get a Simmons re- and decapper, I found that if I took two random 310 handles and put a decapper on one and a primer seating die on the other, I was in business at the bench.  I don't do this as much now as I used to, but it's still a great "fall back" strategy when the occasion demands.  I've made a point of accumulating as many different priming dies as possible, "just in case."

Froggie

PS  The also-ran presses that took these same small dies were the Red Head presses made and marketed by CC Johnson until about the early 1960s.  I have one of these set up using .40-65 dies (currently available) to load .40-40 Maynards.  I had to make a special shell holder to fit that weird rim, so that is really a dedicated press now.

IP Logged

thop
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Froggie/Boats,

Thanks for all your insight on this question.  The Lyman tools are fairly new to me and I can see the old ones have become very collectable.  I think the best course of action for me at this point is to get an inexpensive, used, set of 7/8 25-20 WCF dies and use them to kneck size and seat bullets in my SS cases using  my RCBS Jr press.  I will continue to watch for a vintage Lyman tool or a 310 when  the 310 Shop offers their 25-20 SS version for sale.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this interesting subject.

Terry

thop

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
No problem but everything I know about them either got from Froggy or made up myself.  He is the clubs expert on anything Lyman.  That Red-Head press tidbit is new to me and worth exploring.  I need another True Line Jr too.

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #20 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Thop,
I think you're better off doing as you planned and using your RCBS press with either .25-20 die set. The 310 tool will seat bullets, but if one hangs up a little in the seating die I don't think the little hook will pull it out unless it's for the right sized rim.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint