Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) airgun practice (Read 6842 times)
Joe_S
Oldtimer

airgun practice
May 31st, 2008 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
I would like an air rifle for indoor practice, but would want one which would simulate the weigh and trigger of a Schuetzen rifle. Are there any out there that would fit the bill? thanks! Joe S

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: airgun practice
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Joe it's hard to duplicate exactly, most match airguns hang about like a Modern Silhouette rifle. Forearm heavy with not much butt plate.  I tried to set mine up more like Schuetzens but have never found the right hook buttplate.  When I shoot it with a palm rest the butt wants to drift around, ended up thumb and finger rest on the forearm with butt well into my shoulder. Not like my Schuetzens at all.

It's still very good practice.  I think you will find the single stroke 10 M match airguns are out of favor with shooters, most going to pre-charged rifles.  That makes the older hand cocked style priced lower used.  If you can find a nice one FWB 300's are very good shooters.

Another thing while it's a 10 M gun it shoots fine at 50 feet on the ASSRA target.

Boats

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Joe,
It is verboten to discharge firearms in the city where I live, but I have a back yard suitable for offhand practice, complete with wind.  I bought an East German-made Haenel Model 312 for very little.  I forget how much, but $50 comes to mind.  It came with an adj trigger, globe front sight with inserts, and a W&E adj peep rear sight, along with an adj buttplate.  Also came with a box of tools.   It is one of those side-lever-cocking affairs.  I find I like those better than the ones that use the barrel as a cocking lever.  It shoots better than I can offhand, and that's all you really need.   

Seems to me that adding a Schuetzen-type buttplate and a bit of weight on the barrel and even a palm rest would not be difficult.  A friend modified one by adding weight to the barrel in the form of a coil of solder.  When He got the balance right, he secured the thing with duct tape.  Not pretty, but it worked.

You can shoot into a cardboard box filled with sand or rags.  You don't need the high-powered type.  We have family air-rifle matches along with the hot dogs & beer.

waterman

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 9:20am
Print Post  
What is the weight of the Haenel 312 and the FWB 300? Thanks! JoeS

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
My Airgun is a Walther and with Scope it's just under 10 lbs. Barrel weights allow it to be anything you want it to be but muzzle heavy compared to my 14 pound plus Schuetzens. The Schuetzen is perfectly balanced on the palm rest. 

The FWB 300's I shot a lot were  club rifles while living out of the country. They set the bar up with folding backstops and drank while they shot.  Something I never got used too. Ligher than the Walther. Guessing 9 lbs and well balanced.  FWB's should be 300 bucks or so used.  Try the airgun web sites

Boats

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
If  I could find one at that price I would be interested, have spent some time online but not found much. If you have any leads, let me know. If I buy used, are parts still available?  Thanks!

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
I have been looking for a FWB 300 with no luck. What would some comparable alternatives be? If anyone knows of a FWB300 for sale, I would be interested. Thanks! Joe S

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 9:01am
Print Post  
boats;
         I'm also interested in a Feinwerkbau 300, I would sure like to se one [in hand] before I buy--there is also a 110 model that sells for much less but I haven't seen one of those either.  Maybe an air rifle wil not fit me like the schuetzen but any kind of winter shooting will be better than none.    leadball

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Joe, the Anshutz buttplates will fit your needs. Chapion's choice or Neil 
Johnson's sell a variety of new and used plates with LOP adjustment, hooks, etc. The RWS type pellet traps ane effective, cheap, mount on a tripod, can be used anywhere from yard to cellar, I think I paid about 25 bucks for one.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

Hammer47

Reply #9 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
A nice FWB 300 is going to run from $500 to $900 depending on condition.  If you are looking to spend less I have a RWS Diana model 45ST Stutzen in .177 cal available for $300.  Regards... Gary

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
HI Gary, 

I may be interested, tell me more about it, weight, trigger adjustment, etc. Thanks,Joe

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
I just found a FWB 300 on the internet and bought it. Thanks to all who helped out! Joe S

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #12 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
What about one of the large-bore Quackenbush air rifles?  You MIGHT get him to build one in Scheutzen style!

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

pcctex
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 9:10am
Print Post  
I'd like to add a note concerning the target backstop for indoor airgun practice.  Some sort of small box approx 8 inches deep with a clip in front to hold the target and ductseal on the rear wall works great.  The secret is the ductseal.  It's used to seal the gap around a mechanical duct that penetrates a wall.  It is really non-hardening putty.  I bought a 10 lb brick for about 15 bucks.  Flatten it out on the rear wall of your box to about an inch + thick.  It will hold hundreds of pellets...when it gets too full; simply pull them all out with needlenose pliers, re-shape the putty, and you are good to go again.  With this putty; I have never lost a spent pellet out into the room.

I use an FWB 602.  Great fun and great practice.

pcctex

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint