Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Question on Unertl Mounts - standard versus Posa (Read 9411 times)
texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Question on Unertl Mounts - standard versus Posa
Nov 12th, 2008 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Hey guys,

Not knowing a whole lot about Unertl rear mounts, I have one or two fundamental questions.  See the photos below.  One is of a mount I have, which has a standard or regular base (not sure which is the correct term).  The other photo is of a mount currently listed on eBay, which is reported to have a Posa base.  It looks like a standard base mount that has had the base split or cut.  So my questions are:

1)Is the split in the base and the different base screw the only differences between the regular base and the Posa base?
2)What are the advantages or disadvantages of the Posa base, if any?  I assume it’s to allow for a firmer/more rigid attachment, but don’t know

Inquiring minds want to know.

Wayne

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) Click on image for larger photo

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) Click on image for larger photo

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Re: Question on Unertl Mounts - standard versus Po
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Quick reply as I am at the hospital with my son.
The posa mount is split and the screw is not cup shaped to fit the base but is round if I remember about a 1/4" and fits a different base.I have both kinds and find they work but the posa base does not have the tendency to mess up the base.
Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 7:11am
Print Post  
Most Unertil rings you see are standard. The end of the screw is cup shaped to fit a matching bump on the scope block.  Posa mounts generaly are on the larger heavy scopes,  example my BV is Posa while my 12x target is not.   Screw end on the posa is flat bottomed and fits a flat bottom cut out on the scope base.  suposed to be more stable for heavy recoil or larger scopes.

Boats

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Guys,

Thanks for your responses.  Looking at my standard base and at the photo of a Posa base, it would seem that one can convert a standard base to a Posa base by splitting the base and changing out the screw.  Is it that simple?

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

AndyZ

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
      T_Mac
    It's not quite that simple.  Woulden't ya know???
  To get the original clamp screw out the mount must be removed from the scope so that a very small allen set screw can be removed.  This set screw bears on the end of the clamp screw.  In doing so it usually makes a mess of the thread and that bad thread unscrews all the way out - not doing the female thread in the mount the least bit of good!!!
      IF it comes out without damage then it is easy to cut the mount and put in a Posi clamp screw ( if ya got one!!)  or the original might work.
   If the female thread in the mount is unusable it must be tapped one size larger and a new clamp screw fabricated.  That what i had to do!!
      So it is very possible but not quite easy.   If i can provide any more info just ask.                 andyZ

PS   I consider the Posi FAR superior to the standard mount.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Be easier to get bases that are posa one side regular the other, turn them around to suit your scope.

Like Andy said I like the posa better than standard but not enough to try to try to make Posas out of  Standards

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint