Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic sub base for rear bag (Read 2673 times)
Joe_S
Oldtimer

sub base for rear bag
Nov 9th, 2008 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
I need a sub-base to elevate the butt of the rifle with my Caldwell front rest. I want to make one of wood with levelling screws, and am contemplating making it about 6" wide by about 8" or 10" long. Does that sound about right? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks ! Joe S

IP Logged

dave_j

Re: sub base for rear bag
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
hi joe   i made a bunch for our club members   used walnut 5/8" thick 6x6" with 4 holes drilled in the middle 2 of fourm top and bottom drilled 1/2 way through    put dowels in all four and use only as many boards as needed   Smiley Smiley Cheesy Cheesy    works great and cheap

ah heck  AA#9,4227,300MP, as long as it goes bang

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
I made one sort of like a box, only with a shelf in the center rather than a bottom to it.  The rear bag fits into it and is restrained by the ends/sides.  The rear is cut away for the buttstock to extend past the bag and riser.  Flip it one way gives me about 1" elevation on the rear bag, the other is about 2".  The individual rifle and the elevation of the targets above the bench level determine which side is up on my riser.  (Yeah, I can hear it now, Kaiser don't know which way is up... Roll Eyes)

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks everyone, what dimensions do you recommend for length and width? Joe S

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
I made mine to just fit my bag on the inside dimensions.  It's plenty stable.  I do use a rubber bench mat to keep splinters out of my arms at some ranges and to keep the bag or bag & riser from sliding on concrete top benches.

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 7:16am
Print Post  
38_Cal wrote on Nov 9th, 2008 at 5:58pm:
I made one sort of like a box, only with a shelf in the center rather than a bottom to it.  The rear bag fits into it and is restrained by the ends/sides.  The rear is cut away for the buttstock to extend past the bag and riser.  Flip it one way gives me about 1" elevation on the rear bag, the other is about 2".  The individual rifle and the elevation of the targets above the bench level determine which side is up on my riser.  (Yeah, I can hear it now, Kaiser don't know which way is up... Roll Eyes)

David
Montezuma, IA

Could you take a/some pix and put them up, and May I use the pix in the book?
Thanks;
joe b.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint