Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Which Rifle/caliber for first-timer? (Read 19962 times)
Joe_S
Oldtimer

Re: Which Rifle/caliber for first-timer?
Reply #30 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Hello Rusty,

My Uberti has a groove diameter of .383, which makes it difficult to find a mold that will fit. Saeco makes a tapered mold with a base band that is supposed to cast at .384, weight is about 250 gr. that is the one that I have been using.  If you are lucky, your rifle will have a bore diameter more in line with current bullet diameters, so wait till you slug the bore before yo buy a mold. Let me know what you come up with. Joe S

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #31 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 8:28am
Print Post  
Joe-S

How is the Saeco tapered bullet shooting in your Uberti High Wall? The bore of mine is the same size. I've been shooting swaged paper patched without much sucess.  I'm getting 3"-4" groups (patterns ?) at 100 yards.

Bill

IP Logged

zipdog
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Green_Frog wrote on Jan 31st, 2008 at 9:12pm:
My friend Gene was helping me test some of the new Starline brass (which, BTW, is most excellent!  Wink)l.  GF

Which length brass were y'all using...new (short) or old style?

Rusty

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #33 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Long brass, and his Uberti's bore seems to like large diameter bullets, which this particular example of the 375248 that I loaned him casts.  AFAIK, Gene's only brass prep was to deburr the mouths and true them up, then load and shoot.  FWIW, he was using a liquid Alox lube, but plans to go to a more conventional pan lube ASAP.

Froggie

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #34 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Bill, I am getting three inch groups at 200 yds, will try to post a photo if I can fiqure out how. Joe S

IP Logged

zipdog
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Joe. this is a little late (only 7 months!), but I finally slugged my Uberti and came up with a groove diameter of 0.378" and a bore of 0.372".  I shot it for the first time today with the Old West Moulds .378-270 gr boolit over 29 gr IMR 3031....nothing conclusive yet.

Joe_S wrote on Jan 31st, 2008 at 9:19pm:
Hello Rusty,

My Uberti has a groove diameter of .383, which makes it difficult to find a mold that will fit. Saeco makes a tapered mold with a base band that is supposed to cast at .384, weight is about 250 gr. that is the one that I have been using.  If you are lucky, your rifle will have a bore diameter more in line with current bullet diameters, so wait till you slug the bore before yo buy a mold. Let me know what you come up with. Joe S

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
THIS COULD BE A REAL DEAL 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) IT'S ALL IN THE BOX ANYONE EVER SHOT ONE?
tom

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #37 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
If you are looking to shoot in ASSRA type matches, the best idea may be to keep an eye on the "for Sale" section of this forum.

IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #38 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
I would also go to Peabody rifle co In plymouth, wi
Choice of calibers, badger barrel, double set triggers, bone and chargoal case colors.  all american made  for 1450.00   we got a chance to shoot the rifle at our schuetzen match this past june and several people are ordering one.  all american made for less than an import.  check them out before you buy anything imported

IP Logged

Hammer47

Reply #39 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 10:01am
Print Post  
Quote:
OK... so this is what happens when I reply from the "Recent Posts" page, rather than read the whole thread...

I've just repeated a lot of what others have already said, LOL!

Paul F.

That's OK Paul, you are a GREAT read.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint