Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Guns dissassembled and sold for parts (Read 3880 times)
red_stevens
Ex Member

Guns dissassembled and sold for parts
Sep 9th, 2007 at 9:46am
Print Post  
After reading the thread on restoring or not restoring guns this topic came to mind.  I am always pleased to find some part I need on ebay or gunbroker but often the seller has nearly all the original rifle for sale in pieces.  It makes me sick that a decent rifle is being parted out just for a few dollars in increased profit when it should have been kept together and sold instead.  I have even tried to buy all the parts to keep a rifle together in one of these cases and payed far to much for a rifle and still missed winning a few of the components.   
Is this just a pet peeve of mine or do others of you feel the same way.  I must admit that a service is being provided that gun people like us are willing to pay for as this business is going strong.   
Red

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Re: Guns dissassembled and sold for parts
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2007 at 11:02am
Print Post  
On one hand I feel the same way but on the other hand when I am looking for that last elusive part to restore a rifle, I certainly appreciate what has been offered to me on e-Bay. Sad Smiley

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2007 at 11:39am
Print Post  
The key is in the price differential that you've observed. As long as folks aren't willing to pay more for a complete rifle than the sum of its parts, well.....

Look at it this way. If you had a complete rifle that you wanted to sell, would you be willing to take 25% or 50% less for it than you could get for the parts? You, personally, may be this altruistic but many folks need to get as much for their stuff as possible. Especially dealers or us poor folks (VBG).
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2007 at 11:40am
Print Post  
It is a pet peeve of mine as well, I find it a shame. But, like mnay others, I need the parts I need and find it hard to let it slip by. The gun has already been destroyed with little chance of it ever seeing all of it's original parts again. I was given a converted Sharps barreled action as a gift a few years ago. I called the dealer who had it as he had other sharps parts for sale. I asked if they came from the gun, he said they did. I bought everything he had. Sadly, the gun was pretty well striped before he got it. 
I aslo have a weakness for guitars. I don't play much, but love the variety and craftsmanship much like I do guns. You see the same thing with guitars. People will strip 'em down and parts the heck out of them. Same with old motorcycles. My little Harley is a conglomeration of about 50 different bikes, and it still isn't complete. Guys will take a near intact bike that simply needs restored and parts the heck out of it for profit. But again, when you need the part.......
MerwinBray

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2007 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Virtually an identical thread appeared recently in a forum on machining and machine tools.  Somebody started it with a comment about the practice of parting out a good "old iron" American machine just because you could sell the parts on flea-Bay for a bigger profit.  While I was a little miffed about the guy who just took the motor off of a bench-type lathe so he could sell the two items separately, the point that parts from a single lathe spread around the country may well make 3, 5, or more old machines complete and thus save them from destruction.  Smiley

Back to our classic single shot rifles, I know I am happy to get ANY original parts to help with the several restorations I have going on various 'walls, Ballards, and now Maynards, so unless I see somebody take a nice rifle out of a collection to break it up for parts, I guess I have to come down on the side of the cannibals as well.  Roll Eyes

Anyway, that's my lie and I'm sticking to it!  Cool

Froggie

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2007 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
It's  a crime but often done by many in the trade.   I had a nice Trapdoor carbine. Very late production, one of the carbines made up  by Springfield arsenal to get rid of surplus parts after the Kraig Rifle was in production.

I had it listed with a good consignement dealer for over a year at a fair price. No takers. He asked me several times if I would break it for parts and get half again more than my asking price. I finaly sold it as a whole gun, And I don't think it was broken down but you never know

Boats

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2007 at 8:20am
Print Post  
Well, if you have any doubts about WHY it is done, look at the prices (starting and B-I-N) somebody is hoping to get for this set of sights (a mismatched set at that, probably) and the idea of breaking up a pedestrian piece with a few of desirable parts looks better all the time for the speculator.   Undecided

Froggie

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint