Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Headspacing  Dem. (Read 1702 times)
Tombstone
Ex Member

Headspacing  Dem.
Sep 9th, 2007 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Help me  please, Whats the difference in thousands on a std. no go gauge  for 30-06 to a field guage no go. Thanks

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Headspacing  Dem.
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2007 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
There is no "standard" No-Go gauge!  SAAMI only gives minimum and maximum chamber dimensions, which correspond to Go and Field.  No-Go is a voluntary size determined by the tool company, somewhere in between min. & max.  Go to the Brownells website at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) and page down to the category Gun Fitting & Gauging for a fairly complete explanation.

Give me a call at work and I'll check the specs for you on min. & max.

David Kaiser
800-741-0015

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Re: Headspacing  Dem.
Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2007 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
I believe the answer to your specific request about the 30-06 is that the No-Go is 0.005" longer than the Go and the Field is 0.005" longer than the No-Go. 1.940", 1.945" and 1.950" as I recall but you might check Hatcher's Notebook to be sure. I believe these are US Army dimensions and may bear little or no resemblance to SAAMI specs. I do recall that the Min-Max headspace difference does vary by cartridge, that is, some may use a 0.005" differential dimension while others may use 0.004" or similar. Also the headspace on belted magnums can be a nightrmare due to varying dimensions, you gotta match your gauges with each other and also with your brass.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint