Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic FLY OVER OF THE RANGE (Read 1700 times)
Tar_Baby
Ex Member

FLY OVER OF THE RANGE
Sep 9th, 2007 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
GOOGLE MAP OF RANGE

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: FLY OVER OF THE RANGE
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2007 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Yep, that's it alright!  I recognize it from one of my VERRRRY high hops!    Grin   

The little details you can see even include the little backstop for rimfire used during the mostly centerfire matches (near the uper part of the picture.) and the wooden frames to hold the targets, visible as a dark line just to the right of the berm.   

It looks like the local member who was hoping to donate some fill dirt to extend the berm to the right (top of the picture) for additional firing points has been able to get some (lighter area(?)) and this was obviously a summer picture 'cause of the shade the trees are casting.  Both fields (the one we own at top of pic and the neighbor to the bottom) look as though they have been harvested.  I guess the cross winds can whip through really well now!   Shocked

Not shown in this picture is the house directly across the street from the range (the street is not very far from the edge of the picture) which we own and are currently having out to rent, and the field around that house which is rented to a local farmer to help pay taxes, upkeep on the range, etc.  As we get this surrounding land, we both insure against encroachment by anti-gun neighbors and provide room for eventual additional camping and other uses.  Cool

If you have been to NMLRA's property at Friendship, IN, or to N-SSA's ranges at Winchester, VA (which is written up and described in the coming SSRJ) this is really a pretty small range complex by comparison, but it's ours and we sure can have a good time there.  I encourage all members to make the effort to get to a match there if possible, and if passing through contact the director in charge of the range (currently Charles Persons) and take advantage of OUR range.  Smiley

Green Frog

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: FLY OVER OF THE RANGE
Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2007 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Hey rimfire, when I looked at this in more detail, it appears that there has been plowing back behind the berm.  Is the beanfield (or whatever crop will be current) going to extend back there in the coming growing season?  Also, it looks on further magnification, as though there is something being added to the upper (in the picture, right from the firing line) end of the berm.  Did our friend in excavating get some clay or something that he is putting in for us, or is that an optical delusion?  Huh  Hope you have a great Fall and Winter and I look forward to getting up there with you guys come Spring.  Wink

Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint