Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic WINCHESTER SET TRIGGERS (Read 4001 times)
whitey hanson
Ex Member

WINCHESTER SET TRIGGERS
Sep 5th, 2007 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
DOES ANYONE KNOW?. WILL THE DOUBLE SET TRIGGERS OUT OF A FLAT SPRING HIGH WALL ALSO FIT THE LOW WALL?? Thanks Whitey

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Re:  WINCHESTER SET TRIGGERS
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
MAybe.  Depends on the low wall.  Some have thin tangs some have thick.  Joe knows.   

Brent

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Flare-side low walls, whether early or late production & flat or coil spring, will accept any high wall tang and look right. Flat-side low walls (middle yrs of production & by far the majority) will accept the high wall tangs but the tangs are thicker in the vertical dimension and will hang out of the bottom of the flat-side frame, exposing the trigger pins and looking very unsightly.

The late Ben Rice made a limited number of Schuetzen wide-spaced trigger tangs for the flat-side low wall, but they are very rare.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Hey Joe, how are the "Frankentriggers" doing on that low-wall project you were working on?  Was there enough meat there to grind the tang down to the desired profile?  I'm still cussing at my SST that won't hold adjustment.  I guess I will have to give up on bubble gum and get some non-hardening Loc-tite, huh?

Also, to Whitey, don't forget that when you go to double set triggers, you must also use a hammer with a fly so the sear will clear the 1/2 cock notch, and you must use a special, long-tailed sear so the trigger will touch it right.  The single set needs the fly, but uses a normal length sear with a groove to clear the fly.  These parts are (IIRC) the same for both high- and low-walls.

Froggie

IP Logged

GCurtis

Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2007 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Hello All, newbie here. I found this an interesting thread as I have a DST from a low wall parts gun that does't match any of the photos I have seen in the books. Bert H. has told me that this is a winchester lower tang that a gunsmith has modified for shuetzen. Anybody else seen one like this or have any other comments or observations that may help identify this setup?

The fly and special long sear mentioned above can be seen in this photo.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2007 at 12:42am
Print Post  
Froggie, the Frankentriggers will soon grace my friend's low wall action he's building (having me build) for 22 Buffalo Silhouette shooting. He doesn't know it yet so don't tell him (G). AAMOF I think he musta fergot about the action since I haven't heard from him since my last email to him many moons ago. I'm still looking for a barrel though.

GCurtis, Bert is right about the tang and triggers, they look much like some of the ones I've done. The Frankentriggers Froggie mentioned were my first effort in this direction, have since done several more with reasonable success. You will note that an original short-tailed sear has been extended in order to work with the new DSTs.

As a further answer to the original question, an unmachined casting of a Win DST tang for a high wall can be machined for the low wall receiver, or at least the one I possess could have been done that way had I chosen that option. It's not a job for an amateur but it's not rocket science either, any careful and knowledgeable workman should be able to do it.
HTH, Joe

IP Logged

GCurtis

Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2007 at 11:27am
Print Post  
J.D., Thanks for the info. 

This project requires a few more parts and then maybe it will get off the drawing board.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint