Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 50 shot (Read 9171 times)
Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

50 shot
May 18th, 2007 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
What is the ASSRA 50 shot 200 yard scope record?

On May 8, 2007 I managed to shoot a 1245/1250 (45x) during the International Benchrest Competition at the Stars and Stripes  Schuetzen Park, Nine Mile Falls, WA. The relay of 5 ASSRA 200 yard scope targets scored 247, 249, 249, 250 & 250.

For the two relay 100 shot scope event I scored a 2477/2500(79x).

The rifle was a Miller deHaas.
The caliber was .321X1.470 RKS.
The barrel was a Ron Smith 11.5 gain twist.
The primer was Remington 7 1/2.
The powder was 13.2 grains H108.
The lube was Alberta Schuetzen.
The wad was pipe insulation.
The bullet was a 232 grain Jones.
The scope was a 6-24x Burris.
The bullet seater was a Weber.
The alloy was 20:1.

The first perfect 10 shot group measured 1.280"
The second perfect 10 shot group measured 0.799"

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Re: 50 shot
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2007 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
I don't know what the record is, but........WOW!!!
Congratulations on some FINE shooting!
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2007 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
WOW! you shoot like Tommy Mason!

Bob

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2007 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Assra does not have a 50 shot or 100 shot bench match--they do have an 80 shot match [2 targets per day--4 days] however this is some fine shooting "congrats"        leadball

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2007 at 7:33am
Print Post  
well, you've been shooting for a hundred years, it's about time... is all i can say.. Grin

..ttfn..grampa..

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2007 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Yup Tommy Mason is a fantastic shooter and I certainly enjoyed his outstanding hospitality and the opportunity to shoot this great score on his suberb private range at Nine Mile Falls.

The best 50 shot plain base cast bullet 200 yard scope bench score I have been able to confirm so far was a 1241 (41x) shot by Earl Hines in 1996 at the ISSA National in 1996 at Raton, NM.

Has anyone else other than Colleen Molendyk (Ron Smith's grandaughter) shot two 250s in a competition at 200 yards?

What is the smallest 10 shot group size ever shot in an ASSRA competiton?

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2007 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Jim Borton shot a 10 shot group of about .719 a couple years ago in ASSRA competition, it was in the ASSRA Journal. He also shot a .721 in practice a few years ago. Is this the same range that Bev Pinney shot a 250 with Iron sights a few years ago. The Assra record for a five shot group at 200 yd is .383 [give or take a thou or two] shared by two shooters.  The Rowland group [never an official record] was .727.       leadball
  PS if these numbers are not exact they are very close

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Re: 50 shot record
Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Bev Pinney's 200 yard iron perfect target measured about 1.09" and it was shot at Tacoma, Washington. I believe it still stands as the smallest iron sight perfect target ever shot in competition.

It should be noted that Tommy Mason and Bob Brimley also shot a perfect target at the 2007 International Benchrest Competiton at the Stars & Stripes Schutzen Range at Nine Mile Falls, Washington. Does anyone know what the group size was on these?

So far I have confirmed only three people have ever shot two perfect targets at 200 hundred yards with plain base cast bullets in a competiton: Collleen Molendyk, Donn Hanks, and myself - Dave Patterson

Tommy Mason almost shot another perfect target at the Canadian International Schuetzenfest but unfortunately one shot was half over due to the tough wind conditions.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Dave,

Here's a few good ones;

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Bob

PS I was shooting on the bench next to Jack when he shot the 250, through my spotting scope it looked like a smudge in the center of the target.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Dave 

Fine performance and long run of 50 shots in side by side competiton makes it all the more impressive

For us non Bench Rest shooters. Your equipment specs look to me to be textbook for shooting well.  Could you add a bit more. 

What Scope did you use, How about the rest/bags,  what kind of hold, tight free recoil ?  What trigger pull do you have on the Miller. Anything else we may enjoy reading.

It would be intresteing to see what your wind strategy is too.

Boats

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #10 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
My variable Burris Signature  6-24x 40 mm scope was set on 24x. It has a fine plex cross hair with a 1/8 minute dot. The light was dull so I opened up the scope's aperature to the twighlight setting when everyone else had to accept the limited brightness.

The wind was light and steady blowing left to right with gradual changes in direction and intensity. However one flag was reacting differently and told me after the first target why some shots were creeping out of the center. After the first target I did not need to adjust my scope.

After that it was mostly a matter of placing more concentration on that one flag and my bag technique and learning how much hold off that was required to tighten the group size as I got smarter with each target fired. 

I only place light pressure on the stock with my cheek and light pressure to catch the stock on recoil. I pinch the stock with my left thumb and forefinger to hold the stock steady in the rear bag. I use the Bald Eagle 60 degree front rest with the deluxe windage top and also a leather tall eared rear Bald Eagle bag filled with washed river sand.

I use an assortment of daisy wheels, flagging, nylon wind socks and wind probes to give me the feedback I need to call various wind conditions. I haven't found one yet that works for all conditions. I find flagging works best for light winds, wind socks are essential for catching those wind direction changes and a wind probe is essential for properly assessing wind intensity when you are forced to shoot under heavier wind conditions. And yes you need to read more than just the flags in front of you.

I have my trigger set at nine ounces which is responsive enough for bench rest shooting but not too sensitive for offhand shooting.
In Canada at -40 it is difficult to feel the trigger and you get too many misfires if you set the trigger finer.

We have a monthly shoot throughout the winter in Alberta. Come on up and join us. It certainly tunes you up for the summer competitions. As long as your teeth don't chatter too much.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #11 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Oh by the way I used scrap lead from the recycle yard (mostly cable sheathing) and the 30/70 lead sodder drippings swept up from the floor from a radiator shop to cast my bullets. I find five parts cleaned scrap lead with one part cleaned radiator sodder gives me a 20:1 lead:tin bullet alloy. But I make sure I make up at least 60 lb. batches at a time.

No you don't need to buy the pure stuff to make good bullets.

IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Reply #12 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Mr. Schuetzen Dave Sir If I was u I would stop worrying about records and figure out how to do better  Tongue U didn leave 5 points on the table Shocked
I`m not being funny here I mean it Huh Your putting to much faith inthose targets Cool Stop running your mouth and let your shooting speak for you Wink

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jun 11th, 2007 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Thanks Dave

The way you hold the rifle is real intresting to me.  I suspect it's a key to shooting good bench groups.  I also agree with you on watching more than the wind in front of your rifle.  I don't shoot bench but offhand I find I need to watch whats happing to the wind in the direction it's comming from to warn me of the condion thats going to be present at the firing line.

Anyway great score 

Boats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #14 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Nice shootin Super Dave, I mean schuetzendave, HAR HAR!!  I can still kick your butt offhand,  HAR HAR HAR !!  You forgot about the bullet lube at Tommy's  I could wait till next year but I dont wanna.   Send me two pounds of the old original formula stuff and a bill.  If you see Colleen tell her the offer is still open and the weather is just right. She'll know what I'm talking about.   Roll Eyes

The address you have for me is good.  If you have any trouble get hold of me anytime.

Joe

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint