Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Unertl Spring Clamp Moving (Read 4678 times)
Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Unertl Spring Clamp Moving
Jun 15th, 2007 at 12:17am
Print Post  
I was out today with the Ruger in 8mm Winchester Special. The Unertl spring clamp kept moving forward. I had the same problem at Etna Green with the Lowall 22RF. How tight can I make the screw on the clamp, it seems awfully dainty?
What is a magnum clamp? Mine just seems to be a band of metal with a small diameter thumb screw.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Unertl Spring Clamp Moving
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 2:35am
Print Post  
Set the spring so it's about a half inch from the front scope mount.  Slide the scope back after each shot.

I've never heard of one moving forward. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Ira, On a Unertil.

The magnum clamp is on the front side of the front mount. It's designed to stop the scope on the bell end when the spring slams the scope back after recoil .  My BV has a Magnum clamp fixed with Allen screws while my Target has the normal clamp fixed with a hand turned screw. Both do the same thing the magnum is just more robust.

It has nothing to do with a scope returning to battery after a shot. Thats the job of the spring and I have never seen one 100 % reliable. You may get one to return properly hunderds of times then it will stick and cause you problems. The only way to eliminate that problem is back off the spring and return to battery by hand after each shot.

My STS has no spring and thats the best way to go.

Boats

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
What boats said. I only engage the springs on rifles with no recoil such as 22RFs.
FWIW, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

AndyZ

Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
     Ira:
     I have had exactly the same experience with the Unertl scope slowly sliding to the rear.  This is not caused by the rifle recoil, but by the spring returning the scope foreward.  So the trick (if there is one!) is to get just the tension that will return the scope positivly but not hammer the stop ring foreward.
     I do use the return spring.  I guess the other comments are correct, but i am forgetful and have enough to do tetween shots just trying to figure what the wind is doing!!!
     I never could get the spring tension right so i built a super magnum clamp that works every time.  No trouble now.              andyZ

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
I dont have a unertl owners manual, so I dont know how to set the spring correctly.

I would guess that if you set the spring against the front scope ring then fire a shot you will have a gap between the scope stop ring and the scope ring.  Would it be correct to assume that if you now move the stop ring back to the mount , it would return to that spot every time? Without driving the stop ring forward?

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Westerner you would assume so.

But if the Pope rib gets sticky from oil or dirt, If the screw backs off a little. If temp changes as the rifle heats up makes it hesitant to slide, If If If .  You are going to have a flyer when it does not return to battery properly.

If you can afford a flyer then go ahead and trust the spring. If not then don't engage it and manualy re-set each shot.

Boats

IP Logged

abcd
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Mr. Irascible,
  Back in the old days when Unertl type scopes were all you saw at the bench rest matches I was taught that you do NOT set the spring so you use it as a return. Mr. Boats ideas were presented along with the fact if the spring is set to tight you will get poked in the eye on recoil. Those 20 and 30x scopes have a very short eye relief. The only exception would be for a .22, but personally I don't even tighten that. In fact, sitting hear thinking I believe most of my Unertls. Lymans, etc don't even have the spring on them. What I do, and I'm sure most do, is to pull the scope back and give it a twist to the left. The "left", or right, whichever suits you, is imperative since there is slop in the return rail so you want to be sure the scope is set the same every time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint