Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 38-55 Original length brass available - Starline (Read 4519 times)
Irascible
Senior Forum Member

38-55 Original length brass available - Starline
May 1st, 2007 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
After a couple of years of "Coming Soon", I just received an Email from Starline (been bugging them for at least 2 years) announcing the production of both original length and the Shorter (current Winchester length) of 38-55 brass. For those with factory guns chambered for the original length this is a god send. I've been buying all the old factory loaded cartridges I could find (at $25 or less per box) and pulling the bullets for the brass. With 4, 38-55's, I'm smiling!

IP Logged

Lee_Stone
Ex Member

Re: 38-55 Original length brass available - Starli
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2007 at 8:56am
Print Post  
That's great. Now if Starline will just start making .45/110 so I dont have to keep buying the stretched .45/100.    Huh

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2007 at 9:24am
Print Post  
I presume this .38 brass has large primer pocket?  They would make a killing if they made the stuff for small primers.

Brent

IP Logged

feather
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2007 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Irascible,

From your post it appears that you believe currently manufactured rifles chambered for the 38-55 cartridge have a shorter chamber than rifles chambered in that same cartridge many years ago.  I can state that as recently as 1996, all commercial rifles chambered for the 38-55 cartridge have chambers that will accept the original length cartridge cases.

At that time I was considering having a rifle built for that cartridge.  I discovered the discrepency between the case length and the chamber length.  Since I was going to use soft lead bullets, I purchased a drawing from SAAMI showing their standards for the case and the chamber.  They contended that they didn't know how or why the case length got shortened but in going back through the revisions to the drawing, they discovered that it had been changed.  However, at that time the chamber drawing wasn't changed to match the case and as far as I know, the two dimensions are still not the same.  Since I couldn't get SAAMI or the NRA to see the problem and correct it, I had a 38-50 Remington built instead.

To the best of my knowledge, all commercially produced 38-55's currently have the longer chamber but use the shorter case.

feather

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2007 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
I guess you could read it that way. I do know that all factory rifles are chambered for the original length. I have a Ruger #1 and a new Browning 1885, and a new Marlin 1895 Cowboy all in 38-55 and I only shoot original cases in them. Yup, I still have some. They were factory loads that I pulled the bullets, but that is getting way too expensive.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2007 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Winchester changed the case length on their brass to start this whole thing off. Once they brought out the .375 Win. cartridge, with it's shorter length, they decided it would just be easier for them if they made all the brass the same length, and just loaded the .375 and .38-55 to different pressures and bullets. They even started loading .375" jacketed bullets in their .38-55 loads.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2007 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
I beleive if you look it up that you will find the following;

375 Win = 2.020"

38-55 current WW and short Starline 2.070"

38-55 Original and Starline traditional length 2.129"

I beleive that the 2.070 length was introduced when WW came out with their collectors M94 rifles in 38-55 and 32-40

IP Logged

Hobie
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
I use the long brass in my Bullberry barrel for my Contender (22") no problem.  I've got some of the new Starline brass and it seems quite good.   

Now, if I can only convince them to make .45-75 Winchester brass (I guess that was only chambered in the Model 1885s for SS rifles).

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #8 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
I think the 45/75 was an original Winchester chambering for their 1876 repeater.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint