Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 50 shot (Read 9172 times)
Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Re: 50 shot
Reply #15 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Joe:

Yes you and Colleen keep me humble on a regular basis. As I recall you even beat me on the bench (iron sights) with my own rifle when I lent you my Highwall when your sear broke. I will get the Alberta Schutzen lube in the mail to you. By the original lube I assume you mean you want it with moly added.

But then I understand if I get a medical note I would be allowed to use cross sticks and a wheel chair.

IP Logged

Wapiti

Reply #16 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Dave, That is nice shooting, congratulations.

For the record, Earl Hines, now at Ballard, only shot two 250s in that 1241 score. Stands to reason as I understand that the Raton range is a little tougher than most.

Earl also holds the ISSA scope agg. record at 2389-48. Let us know when you beat that one.

Good shooting. 

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #17 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Yup Earl Hines is a consistent all round shooter and most certainly an outstanding offhand shot that most of us can only aspire to.

After identifying all the people who have been successful at achieving a perfect score whether it be on a good day or a more challenging day, I believe it would be interesting to compare the different equipment they used to obtain those successes.  Is there someone out there up to the task?

I know I would be happy to contribute if someone was to write an article on the equipment used by successful plain base cast bullet benchrest shooters. Since we were all helped along to achieve our successes I believe we should pass on some of our knowledge to those who struggle for solutions to their equipment challenges.   

By doing so we would help others enjoy single shot rifle shooting even more. And that is what it is all about for most of us. The enjoyment of the sport and an appreciation of the accuracy that can be achieved with cast bullets when we are challenged by the variable conditions Mother Nature throws at us when we shoot.

IP Logged

Wapiti

Reply #18 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Special recognition for two 250s is due Lowell Hamilton- one with the pistol and one with the rifle- both guns built by the late Dean Miller!

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #19 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Yup Lowell impressed us all when he also shot a perfect score with his 32 Miller Short pistol at Raton in 1996. And without the benefit of a RKS barrel. I understand he had a Douglas barrel on the pistol although he did use a RKS gain twist barrel for his 200 yard scope bench perfect target.

There is certainly a consistent theme when you investigate the equipment used by the shooters who have achieved perfect target scores. The partnering of the fast lock time Miller deHaas action with a cut rifle RKS gain twist barrel is the recurring theme.

The precision machining of both the Miller actions and the RKS barrels must be an important variable for success in the pursuit for cast bullet accuracy.

IP Logged

Wapiti

Reply #20 - Jun 16th, 2007 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Grin And that same combo OWNS all the Raton Rimfire records!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint