Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 32-40 barrel (Read 10437 times)
Mike Gish

32-40 barrel
Dec 4th, 2006 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Has anyone seen this type of rifleing,and is there any reason why it does not seem to like black powder loads. The barrel is 1.25" in dia.,27 "long, 6 groove, 1-16 twist. the lands are .024 wide, the grooves are .144 wide and 5 thou. deep.
The gun is an old single shot that had been rebarreled possibly someware on the east in the last twenty years.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Re: 32-40 barrel
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Caliber? Lube? Compression? Charge? Bullet behavior i.e. keyholes, inaccuracy, stringing etc? Details, we want details!
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
My bad, I see the caliber's in the title. What alloy? What dia's are bullet, barrel bore and barrel grooves?

IP Logged

Mike Gish

Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
It just doesn't group with what ever load I've run through it. The load I have been useing lately is a 190gr. slug with 41gr. swiss 1 1/2,no compression,SPG lube, 20-1 alloy. I was thinking that the lands were to narrow to grab much with the PB fouling. All of my other guns have the lands and grooves about equal size.
With smokeless, it groups as good as I can shoot, 1" to 1 1/2" at 100yrds.

IP Logged

Bruce P

Reply #4 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Mike,

Based on my own experience with this round and Black Powder. It is essential that I wipe the bore every shoot to get consistant accuracy. 

I just tried blow-tubing only, and I ended up more with a pattern than a group. A clean bore made all the difference. Wink

Bruce

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Have you tried a lighter bullet? I use a 170 gr. in my .32-40, and it has a faster 1-14" twist. With your 1-16" I would go a bit lighter, and see if it improves. 
I'm not fond of those narrow grooves myself, but I don't know if they could cause inaccuracy.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
I agree with Marlinguy, and I would add that you might try a spitzer bullet. I've had good luck with spitzer bullets in slow twist barrels like your 1-16 32 caliber.

Bob

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 8:25am
Print Post  
"My bad, I see the caliber's in the title. What alloy? What dia's are bullet, barrel bore and barrel grooves?

Mike;
    I'm with Joe here. Bullet fit is a critical factor - probably the most critical to my thinking. Not to ignore the other things which have been suggested but bullet fit comes first for me. As to bullet weight (and thus length), I shoot a 220 gr spitzer in my 14" twist .32-40 barrel, on the recommendation of B&D and the accuracy capability is fine. A friend bought a .32-40 with a 16" twist and the same weight bullet was recommended to him by B&D also. I would have bet money against it but the accuracy is super (better than my 14" twist). 
    I guess what I am saying is that I would slug that barrel and find out just you have. Then try the wiping between shots, etc. before looking for another bullet. Also, are you shooting fixed ammunition or breech-seating?

Don

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #8 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 8:30am
Print Post  
I'll throw in my two cents. First drop your bullet hardness down to 1:30 at least. As others have mentioned the bullet may be too long to shoot with a 1:16 twist and black powder. 
As to the size of the lands I have always felt that the proper width for lead is about 1/3 of groove with. these are about in that range.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #9 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 9:40am
Print Post  
If it were me, I'd go back to the old Ideal/Lyman 319247 bullet which runs somewhere in the 165 gr bullet when cast in a pure lead & tin alloy in the 30-1 to 25-1 range.  This is based on Winchester's original release for that barrel at that twist rate.

I would use one of the commercial lubes recommended for BP such as SPG.  Until I had a good baseline of data to work from, I would also wipe after every shot.   

Then I would probably get discouraged and go back to smokeless, but I hope YOU will have better luck and report back to us how well it works for you.   Wink

Froggie

IP Logged

Mike Gish

Reply #10 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Lets run through the list, Bruce, I normally use a blow tube but was getting the same results as you, so I tryed wipeing between shots, groups improved but not as much as I thought they should. This barrel has a Very slick bore when clean.

Marlin Guy, I do have a lighter bullet from a Lee mould, 8mm,176gr. gc, it does alright I guess. I have not seen any Spitzer moulds except custom ones, I am trying to get a better idea what the gun likes before I start ordering a custom mould.

Don, I am loading fixed ammo, I made up a breachseater and tryed it with out much luck. The bore is .319 and I am lubeing and sizeing to .321.

Thanks for all the help, Mike

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #11 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Mike,

I have an old Lyman spitzer mould that throws a bullet of about 175-180 grains, and is called the French pattern after the name of the shooter who designed it.  I usually keep a few of these cast up in my standard 25-1 pure lead to tin alloy if you would like to try some out.  Contact me by PM if this would be of any help to you.

Froggie

IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
I used to have a maynard #16 in 32-40(possibly rebored by stevens), it shot very well with black powder, but not with anything heavier than 165 grains, i tried 180 grains, but they tipped, even at 50 yards they were not stable. I also used duplex loads, out in California it's so dry here a blow-tube would be a joke, never work. I keep telling people California a desert, that's why we steal water from other states.My rifle was stolen back in 1979, or i'd still be shooting it.

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
I been looking at the photo and I can't see if there are any sign of the bullet  filling the groove dia.

Try seating a bullet, then fire a case with only a primer in it and  see if the case shoots out when you open the breech.

Just seems the bullet is to small of a dia to seal off the groove dia.

Never hurts to try.

IP Logged

Mike Gish

Reply #14 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 10:13am
Print Post  
I looked at it under a scope and the last four bands look like they were touching the groove, that was a breech seated bullet that I knocked back out. I don't know if what I saw was from seating or from sizeing. I will try what you suggested tonight, should I be looking for powder marks along side the bullet?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint