Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sharps-borchardt (Read 10434 times)
DaveG
Ex Member

Sharps-borchardt
Dec 1st, 2006 at 1:02am
Print Post  
Hi I'm new here, first time poster.

I have a few questions regarding this rifle and a Springfield trapdoor. Both rifles are my Grandpa's. I've started getting interested in tinkering with them over the past few weeks.

Some background on the sharps, my grandpa loves going to auctions and picked it up for about $200. Nearest i can tell the action is in good shape, but the barrel has alot of pitting inside, but the rifling itself doesn't look too terribly bad,  the front sight looks like it was welded back on, and the rifle seems to be covered in some sort of laquer. We did take it to the range and fired it and it seems to work perfectly. Out of curiousity how much would it be worth? I know its hard to judge without even a picture. And we don't have any intention on selling it.

Also the rounds we were firing were old and the powder was deteriorated, it didn't even all burn. Needless to say we got a 6 inch group at 50 yards. I'm thinking that with the barrel not being in the best of shape, some heavy cast lead bullets with a BP charge would give about as good as a group as i'm going to get. So my question is, what are some common BP loads for the 45-70 that work well?  I don't believe i'll ever have a tack driver without a new barrel put on but, i'm hoping for atleast semi reasonable groups. Also what kind of pressures can it handle in terms of the kinds of loads the action can take. Like if i would ever have a new barrel installed, Do i have to stick with Trapdoor loads, or can i run Ruger #1 loads?

That 45-70 Springfield trapdoor, Years ago someone pried the rear sight off of it. We still have the sight but its mangled pretty good. I'm wondering where we could get a replacement sight for it? Other then that this rifle is in good shape. I'd also like to load for this, and i know i have to keep the pressures down.

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Re: Sharps-borchardt
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 1:36am
Print Post  
Dave:

Welcome to the forum.

It is hard, as you mention, to accurately estimate the value of a rifle just by a description. Howsomever, if it is any help to you, based on what information you have provided I would give you three times what you paid for it. The action is worth at least that much. 

The rest of the rifle sounds pretty rough, so it really won't have much collector's value unless it has some sort of special provenance, such as being George Washington's personal rifle or carried by Napoleon at Waterloo.

If the action is in good shape it is indeed considerably stronger than a Trapdoor, in fact one of the strongest actions of its time. But as it is made with 1870's state of the art metalurgical technology, I would not presume that it would hold Ruger #1 loads.  There is little sense in stressing the old girl. 

As for BP loads, 62 grains of Swiss 1.5fg with a 525ish grain bullet is as good a place to start as I know if.  If you are looking for a light bullet load, then experiment with an uncompressed load of powder. The rough bore is likely going to limit your accuracy potential, but sometimes a rough bore will shoot right well. It sure enough is worth some experimentation to see what it will do.

Someone else will be better able to help with the trapdoor sight. I am sure that one can be found.

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

Glenn Fewless

IP Logged

Subsailor

"Sharks of Steel" U.S.
Submarine Force

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Dave,
You can find spare parts for your Trapdoor at this site.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links). I have used parts from them for both of mine.

Craig

ASSRA #9843
N-SSA 6785-V
NRA
LT. USN (Retired)
U.S.Submarine Veterans Inc.
Silent Service MC
GTalkYIM  
IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 10:02am
Print Post  
An action in good shape (functionally) I would estimate at about 4.5 times what your grandpa paid.  I say this because I think that's what I paid.  And if it is a sporting rifle profile - a bit more.  And additional for sporting rifle wood.   

You might shop around for a better barrel - I have a take off from a mine (military .45-70) that is probably not much better than your's except for the front sight being in good, unwelded, condition.   

A good load to start with is as much bp as fits in the case below your bullet's base.  Depending on your bullet, that might only be 65 gr or less.  But you can work with this by increasing the amount of powder and compressing it (with a compression die - NOT the bullet).   

Have fun with it.  It is one of those "buys of a life time".   

Brent

PS.  Were it mine, I would rebarrel or reline it in a heart beat.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
The people who have responded are telling you the truth!  I paid $900 six years ago for a varmit rifle built from a military Borchardt action, just to get the action.  Good ones are hard to find 125+ years later.  Brent is also correct in telling you that the correct black powder load is a full case.  It seems strange to people used to reloading with smokeless, but it is so.  Clean the barrel as best you can with a brass brush and solvent.  Try and bell the case mouth just enough not to shave the soft lead bullets when you seat them.  Have fun!

IP Logged

DaveG
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info. I'll try to get pictures then. I've seen a few compressed loads with smokeless powder in certain instances. But i think it'd be fun to mess around with some BP loads for the older rifles. Something diffrent.

IP Logged

DaveG
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Here are a few pics of it. Tell me what you think (yes i noticed there is some rust on the rifles) If it means anything "old reliable" Is stamped on the top of the barrel.

This is a pic of the front sight.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The screws aparently have been messed with in the past, but there all there, nearest i can tell.

The rifle overall

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Dave:

That is some real fine custom work on the front sight!

All in all it is pretty safe to say that you didn't get hurt in the transaction.  Brent's estimate is closer than mine.  Whilst it is battered to the point of having little collector's value, that same condition increases its value in the sense that it is a guilt free restoration piece.  Many folk are looking for just such an action for building into a custom rifle. 

If it shoots well enough to be fun, shoot it and have fun. If you have more money than sense take it apart and build it into a custom rifle.  Or if you need to buy shoes for the kids put in on the board for $1K and it will be gone in 10 minutes. Or write me direct and it will take less.

Enjoy your rifle, and keep granddad out at the auctions! And ask him if he is interested in adopting another grandson.

Glenn

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Dave, a lovely old Borchardt carbine. The "Old Reliable" stamped on the barrel was Sharps logo. I would if I were you continue to work on the bore, scrubb it out with bronze brushes. Do not use the stainless brushes around now they are very stiff and sharp on the bristle end and can damage these old soft, mild barrels. The barrel may well shoot well with more cleaning and hand loading with new bullets and powder. I would use bullets from 350 grs on up to as much as 535 grs
the Postell Bullet. But you must rember for each and every reaction there is an opposite reaction. Big heavy bullets = RECOIL!! This is a light carbine it will kick if loaded to its potential with black powder and heavy bullets. I have shot 350 and 385 gr bullets quite well in .45-70 Sharps rifles and others. The front sight welding was probably done in an effort to get the elavation correct with smokeless ammo. The original front sight on Borchardts is very low and they will shoot terribly high with smokeless loading. Now with Black Powder loads you may find it shooting very low at almost any distance you try it at. With a little luck and time you may well be able to find some original wood to replace what is there. It does show up frequently when someone takes one of these military rifles and upgrades it for their own satisfaction. Well have fun and enjoy. Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

DaveG
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Well as far as customization is concerned, I'd actually have to wait for my grandpa to pass away before i could do that, he thinks that if i even remove that old black whatever it its on there, or clean it up it'll hurt its value. And i'm in no kind of hurry for him to do that so its gonna stay the way it is atleast for now. I'd be happy if i could atleast get it to print a group the size of my hand at 100yards. Someday i would like to return it to original, and make it look all purty  Smiley

As far as keeping him out of auctions, when he brings home things like that......i havn't any complaints.

IP Logged

DaveG
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info on the front sight, I guess if worse comes to it, a die grinder could be used to reshape the front sight to the correct height.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
I know this is a military Borchardt, but is it a carbine, or a rifle that's been cut down to a carbine? If it's cut down from a rifle, that may explain the welded on front sight, as they needed to reloacate it after bobbing the barrel. Just thinking out loud here. Wink

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 6:38am
Print Post  
Hello DaveG,

Your Grandpaw's Borchardt started life as a full length Military Rifle which someone altered at a later date. The 'give away' is the presence of a rifle sling mounting bracket at the front end of the underside of the action.

If it had been factory made as a carbine it would have had no rifle sling mount, but a saddle ring on the rear left hand side of the receiver. 

If the forearm is modified from the original, there should be a hole (possibly plugged) into which the original rifle cleaning rod fitted. Cleaning rods weren't fitted on the factory built Borchardt Carbine.

The front sight is a replacement, both rifle and carbine had identical simple blade sights, cut into the barrel. Factory military rifles and carbines didn't have ramp bases fitted.

The woodscrew visible on the righthand side of the butt, just to the rear of the receiver is definately 'none standard' possibly put there to hold a crack in the woodwork together.

Any gunsmith should be able to replace the damaged screws, it's a simple task to make them. It might pay you to have a qualified gunsmith look at it anyway. If, as it appears, some amateur gunsmith has been 'at it' there may be other alterations (not visible) that may make it unsafe. 

A common fault often found on both rifle and carbine, is a breakage or cracking of the right hand cocking plate, not visible until the breech block is removed. This can make it difficult to cock the weapon and it also could cause problems with the extraction of a fired round.

Instructions for stripping the receiver down to individual parts is given in Frank DeHass's book, Single Shot Rifles and Actions.

If a gunsmith o/k's the action you could build a really good rifle out of it, and it will be worth it.

I wish I could find an action like that for 200 English Pounds never mind 200 US Dollars. I'm jealous.

Harry
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2006 at 6:52am by »  

IP Logged

DaveG
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the info. Yes it does have what appears to be a cleaning rod hole. Especially thanks for the info that the gun is nowhere near original. For me to get something built off the action, i'd have to convince grandpap that we wouldn't be hurting its value. Much easier said then done. Either way it'll still be fun to tinker with. I know we've shot probably 10 rounds through it since he got it some years ago.

The more i find out about this action the more i want to build something off of it. Probably stick with the 45-70 or some other old straight walled cartridge. Either that or try and make it look like the original military rifle.....

IP Logged

MP
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
At one time this rifle looked just like yours.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint