Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic MARTINI FIRING PIN (Read 6414 times)
screwloose
Ex Member

MARTINI FIRING PIN
Jul 26th, 2006 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Any one have a guess as to how much pressure it takes to flow the primer into the firing pin on the martini cadets? Will reducing the pin dia. get me closer to pressure problems with my 310 in 222R? Im  not sure wether the problem is the large hole or hot load. makes action hard to get open with primer in the hole. Im open to any suggestions.
Tom

IP Logged

Drifter_Mike
Ex Member

Re: MARTINI FIRING PIN
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Two things, first check the firing pin spring to make sure it is not broken and second, brush the block to a smaller dia. pin. Sometimes a heaver spring will solve the problem but with high pressure rounds you should brush the firing pin to a smaller dia.
Mike

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
I too have had problems with primer flow in the Cadets. A stronger mainspring is a possibility but I've tried it several times with mixed success, also a stronger spring will make it more likely that dry-firing will damage the striker. Martinis should never be dry-fired without using a snap-cap or similar since the striker may already have one leg cracked, and if the other one cracks while loaded and cocked, the shooter could very well have a catastrophe. Dry-firing without a snap-cap allows the striker to bottom out on steel which is more likely to cause cracking. Don't do it!

It's been my experience that bushing to a smaller diameter pin is the only sure solution when using the small primers. I just finished doing it to two of mine.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

COLONEL
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
what ya'll said and back off a grain as the 222r is thicker. some times you can use a magnum primer,they are stronger and back off another grain. get a dogwood mallet to open the thing.i have a  w w geener take dowd in 222r shoots great but ammo$$$$$$ cases.  regards ben

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Bushing the breechblock and soft soldering a music wire pin into the firing pin body is the way to go.  I set the pin for about .040"-050" protrusion to a slightly flattened hemispherical shape, with the radius forward of the breech face at full protrusion.  On my 12/15 converted to centerfire for the .357 Max. case, I found that after about 4,500 rounds, the bushing set back into the breechblock from primer pressure, so I re-cut the block for a dovetail bushing made from 1095 steel, heat treated like a soft spring.  No more problems!

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

screwloose
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
Part of my concern is if the Martini is srrong enough for factory loads with the 222. 
Thanks
Tom

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 2:29am
Print Post  
Strength would not really be an issue - just cartridge size be cecause of the small barrel shank - you still need chamber walls thick enough, which can be a problem with some rounds.  FWIW, it has been made up into 5,6 x 50R, which is like a .222 mag on steroids, without any ill effect...
Anything .222 won't be able to overstress the action.  And the primer flow you are experiencing would rather be the issue of sloppy firing pin fit and oversize firing pin, not of too much pressure from the round - which is why you had better bush the firing pin.

IP Logged

screwloose
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 7:17am
Print Post  
Thanks
Sounds like i have two of them to do. I just thought it was excessive pressure on the 30/30 wesson also. I will get them welded and redrilled.

Thanks
Tom

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 7:44am
Print Post  
I don't recommend welding the breechbolts unless you'll be re-heat treating them afterwards.  You can end up with a too soft primer support area, or even too hard in that area.  You will be much better off with a mechanically fitted bushing, either the screw type or a dovetail type like the original Martini Enfield .303 conversions.   

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 11:46am
Print Post  
A small decapping pin makes a good replacement firing pin for a Martini.  Hard and round nose.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint