Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic # 2 rolling block (Read 2083 times)
digitall423
Oldtimer

# 2 rolling block
Jun 26th, 2006 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
I recently acquired a rather unique #2 rolling block that I have a question about. First let me say that one of the great joys in my life is finding junk single shot rifles and restoring them - bringing them back from the brink so to speak. The only part of this particular rifle that is saveable is the action, the butt plate, and the iron forearm tip. the barrel has been cut off and the wood is cracked and worm eaten. The action, however, is in pretty good shape.  It has a center fire block with a rotary extractor. Also it extends above the action and has a V notch milled into it as a rear sight. Frank de Haas states that early model #2's had rotary extractors. James Grant describes a #2 action with a rotary piece that pulls a linear extractor back to remove the shell. He also describes the rotary piece as actuating a fireing pin retractor. This particular rifle has a linear extractor but the rear is broken off so I can't tell exactly how it is supposed to function. I understand that early actions had the patent dates etc. stamped on the top tang. This one has the dates on the left side  as do later models. Any help that any of you could give will be appreciated. Part of the fun of fooling with these old guns is research but I need help with this one.

Bill

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: # 2 rolling block
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2006 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Digitall 423,

Congratulations on your find.  I enjoy getting old clunker single shots shooting again myself.  Both my #2 Rolling Blocks have the following on the side, in very light stamping:

Patent
May 3 1864
May 7 June 1
Nov 2 Dec 24
Dec 3(1?) 1872
Sept (7?) 1873

There is nothing on the upper tangs of either.  On the lower tangs next to the buttstock screw hole, are the serial numbers, stamped much deeper than the stuff on the side.

Both have a small screw in the left side of the receiver that retains the extractor, which is a vaguely L-shaped piece with a cutout allowing the extractor to ride along the set screw without falling out and an extension on the bottom of the part that engages the shell.  This in turn is engaged by the end of a cut in the breech block, when the latter is nearly wide open, to pull the extractor rearward from the barrel.  I've never seen one with the circular extractor, and neither of mine have firing pin retractors; the pin is just loose in the block and comes back by gravity.

I would surmise that you could reclaim your broken extractor by welding a lump of metal on the rearmost end and filing until it fits in the slot and engages the block as it should.  If not, there is an outside chance that you could get an extractor from a Pedersoli Baby Rolling Block and adapt it to fit.  No guarantees; check with VTI Gun Parts and see by the drawing if it is likely to fit.  I was able to use their version of the sear/breech block spring as a replacement in one of my #2's.  It isn't a really good fit, but it works.

I've also never seen any Remington Rolling Block which has a sight built up from the breechblock itself.  Yours may have been improved by some "talented" amateur.  A common hazard on the clunker trail, and generally more troublesome to get right than almost any amount of wear, breakage or corrosion.

I think the #2 is the classiest-looking of all the Rolling Blocks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint