Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens Model 44 (Read 10072 times)
L_Ross
Ex Member

Stevens Model 44
Jun 18th, 2006 at 7:54am
Print Post  
I recently acquired a standard grade Stevens Model 44. It is marked 25-20 in the appropriate location on a barrel flat ahead of the receiver. The caliber marking appears original. Before I ordered expensive 25-20 single shot brass I did a chamber cast and upon removing said casting observed a perfect 25-20 wcf chamber complete with an appropriate length throat and .258" groove dia. A subsequent test firing with mild 25-20 wcf handloads shows no unusual markings on the fired cases and perfect headspace.
My question to the members of this forum is this. Did Stevens chamber the Model 44 in 25-20 wcf or only 25-20 ss? Removing the forearm prior to pouring the cerro-safe revealed the word (name?) Pitz and 25-20 in some type of felt pen ink on the bottom of the barrel.
I do not have a 25-20 ss cartridge in my collection for comparison but I was under the impression that the case is longer than the 25-20 wcf. Therefore in order to re-chamber to 25-20 wcf would not the barrel have to been shortened from the breech?
If the rifle has already been modified am I justified in having the barrel drilled and tapped for scope blocks? I have a little Lyman 438 scope that is begging to be used in the pursuit of squirrels.

L Ross

IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Re: Stevens Model 44
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
propably the barrel was shortened, everything else is the same, groove dia and twist-except the 25-20SS is about 3/8 longer(from memory).Should shoot fine, i'd drill and tap it for the scope as it's already been ruined(for a collector, i mean).I never could get my Stevens 25-20 single-shot to shoot, i'm thinking you're luck someone re-chambered it for 25WCF, as the bottleneck shape makes it much better for smokeless charges than black powder-i've had exec. results with BP in a 28-30 stevens, but never anything smaller than that size.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Stevens chambered the 44 for both calibers, .25-20WCF and .25-20SS. You didn't mention your barrel length, but it does sound like it's been rechambered, and set back. 
Is the caliber marking on the left side 45 degree barrel flat, and is it in script as Stevens used?  If it's not in the Stevens script, it's probably been remarked. Every Stenens I've seen in .25-20SS was marked that way.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Just to confuse the issue, I have a Winchester high-wall (flat spring) with about a #3 round barrel marked 25 WCF which is chambered for .25-20 SS!  Shocked

As to your question about rechambering the SS to WCF, it seems to me I have seen this done with just a chambering reamer...of course that leaves a LOT of freebore.  I would do another very careful chamber cast and make sure the rifling goes all the way back to the throat if it were mine.  If all is as you say, then my gues is that either it was a reset and rechambered barrel, or some assembly guy @ Stevens picked up the wrong stamp last thing before the whistle Friday afternoon and hoped nobody would notice!   Roll Eyes

Whatever, the.25-20s of both iterations are lots of fun to shoot and I am looking forward to finishing my low-wall in SS for some serious woods loafing.   Cool

Froggie

IP Logged

L_Ross
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2006 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Thank you all for the responses. After I posted I thought I had better measure the overall barrel length. It is 26" from the muzzle to the breech face. Also the octagon portion of the barrel looks correct in relation to the forearm.
The caliber stamp is on the correct barrel flat and looks like the Stevens script on my M44 32-20. It is simply stamped 25-20. 
The chamber cast turned out well and is very detailed. The throat is very short and slightly tapered. It allows the first driving band to be exposed beyond the case mouth and that's all.
For the time being I think I'll refrain from having any additional holes augered into the barrel. 

L Ross

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2006 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
At the turn of the last century, most gun companies tried to be accommodating; J. Stevens was probably the most accommodating with Winchester a close 2nd and Remington the least. The reason I say this is because among collectors there are many examples of original Stevens and Winchester rifles with unusual special features, I remember seeing an original 44½ Stevens – Pope rifle with a Winchester Helm pattern stock and butt plate, and this is just one example. What may have happened with your model 44 is that someone wrote to Stevens asking them if he could buy a Model 44 chambered for 25-20 Repeater, because the ammunition was readily available at the local hardware store. Stevens would have written back stating that for an additional 50 cents, they would make him a Model 44 in 25-20 WCF, and the deal was made. Winchester also supplied rifles in most Stevens calibers.

Bob 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2006 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Stevens was inded the most accomodating of all the makers back at the turn of the last century! They not only did whatever a customer wanted in a new gun, but also made a habit of working on other maker's guns too! 
I've seen several Winchester 1885's, and Ballards with Stevens barrrels, stocks, and even rebored barrels with the "Rebored by J Stevens" rollstamp on them. Complete restorations, with Stevens casehardening patterns have also been observed.
They knew how to please a customer back then!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2006 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
L_Ross;
In my view, you rather lucked out. I have a great fondness for the .25/20 WCF. Brass is readily available and the cartridge is a GOOD one.

I have a Marlin Lever Action (late issue) that shoots EXTREMELY well (will shoot tens all day long on the 50 yard NRA smallbore target at fifty yards). I have seriously worked on the squirrel population with this fine cartridge. 70 gr FP bullet ahead of 4.0 grs of Unique does wonders on small game.

Dale53

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2006 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
LRoss, Re: scoping without drilling and tapping a classic barrel.  contact Steve Earle (advertises in the Journal)  see if he can provide you with a onepiece base for your scope. It is possible to carefully mount it on the barrel with one of the speciality toughened cyanoacrylate glues(either Goat-tuff from an archery store or one of the high number loc-tites).  That will handle most low recoiling rifles and I'm sure the 25-20s would qualify.  It is also easy to remove with a little direct heat and then a solvent cleanup, all without marring the barrel.  I suggest a one piece rather than a two piece base since it will give you more glueable surface.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 24th, 2006 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
L_Ross,

You have a very unusual chambering in your Stevens #44 if it was a factory job.  Mine was set back and rechambered from the original .25-20SS.  The octagon comes just short of the end of the forend and on the barrel you can see where the shoulder was moved forward and the thread picked up for a few more turns.  Mine shoots very well with the standard Ideal 25720 87-grain bullet and 10 grains of IMR-4198.

IP Logged

L_Ross
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2006 at 7:26am
Print Post  
Thanks for the responses, this is a helpful bunch. I got a chance to shoot the rifle last weekend just a bit again and it is going to be fun. Of course it is too light for serious competition but heavy on "cool" factor.

Yesterday a slightly mutilated Winder musket followed me home. So many rifles, so little time.

L Ross

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint