Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Brass Scopes (Read 6504 times)
Roundsworth
Ex Member

Brass Scopes
Jun 6th, 2006 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Hi Everybody!
I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with the brass scopes offered by Pedersoli. Judging from photos, the mounts leave something to be desired. Any thoughts? Thanks!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Brass Scopes
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 1:02am
Print Post  
You hit the nail on the head Roundsworth! Plan on either making new mounts, or ordering mounts from one of the other makers. You might consider the Leatherwood scope and mounting system for $400 at Buffalo Arms. More money for all, but it will be right to start with.
I robbed the mounts off an old Winchester scope to put on my brass scope which had the crappy octagon brass mounts. I tried reworking the originals with a finer screw adjustment at the rear, but the hokey windage on front never worked. 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
These mounts work way better, but don't have enough adj. to get much past 100 yds with my .45-70 Hepburn. The scopes are actually pretty good optics!

IP Logged

sakoman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 8:10am
Print Post  
What is the power of the scopes and where did you get yours?

Thanks,

Allen

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Roundsworth
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
There's that beautiful Hepburn again! Didn't you start out with a bare receiver on that project? I will check with Buffalo Arms. I know MVA has a nice set-up, but it is out of my reach right now. The cost is somewhere around $1000.00! Thanks.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Allen,
I picked this scope up used at the Reno Hilton show for $80. It is supposed to be 6x, and I'd guess that's correct. 
Roundsworth,
Yes this Hepburn project started out as a "kit"! Wink A receiver with all the parts in a bag, a barrel, and two nice blanks of wood. Dave Crossno did the 90% shaping on the wood.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2006 at 7:44am
Print Post  
I just got a press release late last week that the Leatherwood folks have recently come out with a new shorter c.1900-style scope to go along with the full length one.  Unfortunately it is from their marketing outfit and does not have a link to leatherwood's site.  I really like the look of it and am going to try to obtain one so we can give it a test.
Wayne

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

red_stevens
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2006 at 11:20am
Print Post  
There is a used 32inch long brass 4x Tasco made in Japan for sale at Track of the Wolf.  Its used for $199.  Here is the link:

Hope this helps someone!!

Red

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint