Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Browning 1885 low wall, 260 Rem (Read 7804 times)
bret7237
Ex Member

Browning 1885 low wall, 260 Rem
May 11th, 2006 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
I saw a Browning 1885 low wall in 260 Rem for sale.  Does anyone know if this is a factory chambering.  I had assumed that the Browning low wall wouldn't take these types of pressures.  I have 2 of them in 22 hornet and 357 mag and have at times thought of rebarreling one sometime, but if the 260 Rem is not excessive, the possible choices are expanded.   
Thanks, in advance, for any info. 

Ken

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Re: Browning 1885 low wall, 260 Rem
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2006 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Yes.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2006 at 6:30am
Print Post  
Yes it is a factory chambering, but one of the less common ones.  Ken--grab it!  (or tell me where it is! ) I have been looking for one for a couple of years.  Either they didn't make many of them or the guys who have them have learned exactly how good that cartridge is and they have all turned into Heston-rifles.

the browning/miroku iteration of the original browning/winchester action is overly complex but is as strong and probably a lot stronger than the originals,  we have better materials, more precision in our engineering and QC, and more lawyers riding herd on things nowdays.  Believe me that chambering would never have seen the light of day if it ws not safe.
DWS

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

bret7237
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2006 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
It's not something I'm interested in, it's on Gunbrocker # 48589909 at $1300.   

My interest is in knowing what the browning/win/miroku low wall's practical safe limits are as to pressure, case head dia, and caliber.   

I have halfway assumed that the browning/win/miroku highwall could handle up to 460 Wby [not that I'd try it], but that since the low wall wasn't chambered in 454 Cas, only 45 Colt and 44 Mag, that it couldn't handle the 454 Cas or any 308 based chambering.  However if it will handle the 260 Rem, the low wall might be safe up to the 460 S&W.   

I'm really probably most interested in doing a 6 lb barrel in 356 Win in one of my browning/win/miroku low wall's for Fla piney rooters since I already have an Encore pistol barrel and dies.  I only have used moderate loads in the Encore pistol barrel, but would want higher pressures in a rifle [which an Encore action can easily handle].  If the browning/win/miroku low wall could safely handle the 356 Win at 52K psi I might want to rebarrel the low wall, but I have no firm knowledge of it's limits.   

Thanks,  Ken   

IP Logged

tar baby
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2006 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Hey, Miroku has a phone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint