Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Muzzle Velocity is not consistent, why. (Read 11135 times)
J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Re: Muzzle Velocity is not consistent, why.
Reply #15 - Jun 1st, 2006 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
I've used 3031 extensively in the 45-70 since the late '60s, with very good results provided I did two things. It's been my experience that the best results with 3031 are obtained when 1) heavy charges are used and 2) a heavy crimp is applied.

It appears to me that the ignition is much better when the pressure is up when using this powder; light loads gave me lots of unburned powder and poorer accuracy in almost every shooting session. Lately I've been using ReLoder 7 with good success.
FWIW, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
We had our monthly shoot at the Richmond Gun and Rod Club. As I had mentioned, none of the previous test loads stood out by themselves. So I took the Kapok load and increased it’s gun powder to 26 grs of IMR 4198, with my 535 gr bullet. It did very well; better yet, it’s the best of the loads so far. Now I need to improve the nut head behind the rifle. Seems the shooter needs to get back to the basics of shooting. My Sharps is forcing me to do so, it’s not as forgiving as my hunting rifles have been. I had some lengthy discussions with the other shooters about my shooting, and the next steps I need to do. I find myself very privileged and lucky to know them and that they are open to helping me. After many hours and thousands of rounds, my time will come and I will be much better…I sure hope so. I do not plan to mess with this load until after next months shoot, I’ll see how I do there, now that I’m happy with what I have now.

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Aug 30th, 2006 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
It’s been awhile since I’ve updated my findings. As I had mentioned before, it would take time to do the research, and now it’s been done. 

I have finalized my 535-grain bullet load for now. I went with the IMR 4198 with 26 grains and .5 grains of Kapok. What a fine load. This may not be the load that works for anyone else, yet it’s fine in my Sharps. 

Again, some of you wonder why IMR 4198 and not something else, simple. Not all rifles shoot the same or shoot well with all powders. You use in your load a powder that shoots well for your rifle, even if it is not a good powder for someone else’s rifle. You should only worry about your own rifle, and what works for it. In my case, IMR 4198 works just fine in my Sharps, and I’m comfortable with WP. Perhaps one day I’ll try a different WP, or yes…even go BP. But for now, I need a solid load for both bullets that I shoot…and yes, I need much more trigger time with my Sharps. It’s a sweet rifle to shoot and so much fun. 

I hope that none of you got the impression that I’m trying to improve my shooting by finding some kind of a miracle load. Lets be practical, if I’m a lousy shooter, no load will improve my shooting. Yet, I’m trying to get a good load that will give me a nice grouping, then I can concentrate on my shooting and not my load. If I’m confident in my load, then I can focus on my shooting, and not worry about the load. 

Next November will be my one-year anniversary of when I first shot my Sharps. I think that I have done well in just 10 months. I’m shooting rounds that I have loaded with bullets that I have casted myself. And I’m happy to say that they are as fine of a bullet as my Mentor Ron in El Cerrito, CA makes. For those of you that know Ron, you know what I’m talking about…great bullets by Ron. 

OK, I’ve been shooting my 420 grain bullets with IMR 4198, loading 27 grains with .6 grains of Kapok. This has turned out to be a great load for my Sharps. This months shoot up at Richmond, CA…I used the 420s in the competition. I would have done much better if it were not for the nut behind the rifle. The Chrony ranges anywhere from 1350 to 1386. The 420-grain bullets are at the same range in MV as my 535-grain bullets that are using the same powder with 26 grains and .5 grains of Kapok. I think that I found my loads for both bullets. I did load one more test load for the 535-grain bullets. I increased the powder to 26.5 grains. I just wanted to see what the MV was, and how they group. I’ll shoot them sometime in September up at Richmond with one of the guys that I shoot with there. What I need now, is no Chrony, and much more trigger time with the rifle. My Chrony is now taking a well-deserved rest. 

It is currently hunting season, so I’m splitting my time between Deer Hunting and shooting the Sharps. After September, I’ll have more time again to shoot my Sharps and get the trigger time that I need. Unfortunately, the September shoot at Richmond I’ll have to miss, that’s the closer of Hunting Season…and yes you guessed it…I’ll be hunting. 

And no, I have not forgotten about the Paul Jones 570 grain bullet mould. Every shooter must have at least one dream, or hope for something more. This will happen one day, but not soon. Before I get it, I’ll have to find some load data for the bullet. The 570 might just be a bust for me, yet I’m hoping that it will be a fun bullet to shoot. I’m off tomorrow for a one day hunt then the weekend for the long hunt. 

I would like to hear what all of you are using in your loads to include what brass for the 570-grain bullets, the 535 grain bullets, and the 420 grain bullets. I hope you all are enjoying shooting your rifle as much I am with mine. 

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Sep 12th, 2006 at 12:30am
Print Post  
I made one more change to just my 420s. I increased the Kapok to .6 grains, it's made a real difference. My 535s are still at .5 grains of Kapok. This wednesday I'll be trying 26.5 grains of IMR 4198 just to see what it does.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint