Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Muzzle Velocity is not consistent, why. (Read 11119 times)
Sharps1874
Ex Member

Muzzle Velocity is not consistent, why.
Apr 29th, 2006 at 2:23am
Print Post  
      I bought a Chrony Gamma Master Chronograph and finally used it the last two days with my sharps. I noticed that my muzzle velocities from my Sharps has a wide range of variance in it’s Muzzle velocity. I own a Shiloh Sharps Sporter #1, 45-70 with a 30” barrel that has a .459 bore. I already have the Lyman 457132 (535 gr Postell) bullet mould. I’m using IMR 4198 at 25 grains, with CCI Large Rifle primers. I’m using a RCBS digital scale, backed up with a standard Redding scale to check my powder loads. I cast my own bullets with in a grain of each other. I shoot 5 fowlers to heat my barrel up. Then I shoot and I have gotten from boxes of ammo that I have loaded to very as much as 100 fps. Yesterdays shots went from 1104 fps to 1205 fps, with most shot from the 1120’s to 1140’s range. Then a string of 10 or 15 would go to the 1170’s fps to 1182’s, or up top just over 1200 fps. Yet today I finished ammo from a box from yester day that had 15 left and shot 35 more from another box of the same load and bullets and they all were in the range of 1170’s fps to 1278 fps. Then when a friend shot 15 more bullets of the same box that I had my last 35 from his range went from 975 fps to high 1000’s fps, with none in the 1100 fps. Can some one explain this what seems to me to be a strange inconsistency of the Muzzle Velocities that I’m seeing over the last two days? Granted I’m using the same powder, yet I’m sure some of the loads have come from different containers of new gun powder that I had to put into my powder measurer the fill it so I could continue to load. Could there be that much of a difference from the powder of the same type from the same company? How could my friend and be shooting the same group of bullets from the same box of bullets and have about a 200 to 250 fps difference? And don’t tell me this has to do with the wind, the sun and the rotation of the earth. My Chronograph is 8’ from the rifle and it’s not getting any errors, and it is with in the recommended distance. This really has me wondering what is making the Muzzle Velocity very so much.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Re: Muzzle Velocity is not consistent, why.
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2006 at 8:35am
Print Post  
Hello Sharps 1874.

Getting consistant velocities or as near consistant as possible requires total consistancy in your reloading and shooting technique.

All your cases should be from the same manufacturing batch, as should the primers and the powder. If your shooting previously reloaded brass then all should have been shot the same number of times. No die settings should be changed during reloading at all. Try weighing your bullets before and after running them through a lube/sizing die. Select only those that weigh exactly the same. 

I'm not familiar with the powder your using, I've not used it myself, but does it fill the case to the base of the bullet? If not, then it is possible that the powder in each case will be exposing a different surface area to the primer flash.This can effect the burning chateristics of the powder. Try holding the case vertically and tapping the cartridge rim to settle the powder against the primer flash hole and keep the round as upright as possible when loading it into the breech. Alternatively, use a case filling medium over the powder to hold it in place.

You mention firing five rounds to foul the barrel, how rapidly did you fire? Every round you fire will heat up the barrel and cause minute but measurable dimensional changes especially if fired rapidly. Try firing one fouling round, leave the breech open for say 10 minutes then fire one round through the chronograph screen. Wait 10 minutes for the rifle to cool and fire another round and so on. This will certainly give you more consistant results. 

When you were shooting, were your loaded cartridges exposed to sunlight? If so they may have gradually warmed up during the time you were shooting. Best to keep all loaded ammo in the shade, out of direct sunlight so that an even cartridge temperature can be maintained. The warmer a loaded cartridge gets the higher the pressure it developes when it is fired, even a 5 degree change in temperature can make a considerable difference in muzzle velocity. Again it's consistancy that is important.

I think that on your second days shooting the air temperature was cooler than the day before, hence the lower velocities obtained.

If your absolutely consistant with your reloading, the way you load the rifle and the timing of your shots you should get velocities with no more than a 50fps variation. (Factory made ammo will vary more than that).

If you watch Long Range Black Powder Rifle matches where similar rifles to yours are used, you will note that no one fires rapidly, they often take several minutes between shots, allowing their rifles to cool down. You can bet your last 10 cents that each of them will have taken great care over every round thay have loaded. They have enough to worry about with wind conditions, bullet drift and site adjustments etc.

I hope this helps,

Harry

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2006 at 9:36am
Print Post  
My suggestion, go to Wal-Mart and get some WET foral foam from the flower arrangement dept, cut it about 1/4 inch thick and push the foral foam [wad] down to about 1/8 to 1/4 inch from the powder, this wad stopped the wide velocity readings in my 45/70 Peabody.       leadball

IP Logged

iowa
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2006 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Sharps 1874:  I might be able to give you better advise if you were having problems with shooting Black in that Shiloh, which you should be doing, as ES and SD numbers will be much much less:::but I'd try a different smokless powder.  40-50 fps deviations are not unusual with smokless, but your numbers are crazy.  I'd try AA 5744.  But use a tight crimp.  I have shot this powder in my Shiloh with the Postell and it works reasonably well.   Best regards steve witt

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2006 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Cutting the floral foam (it comes in a block - the porous green stuff) is easy on a table saw or even a bandsaw (Hey! I learned that here on this forum). I have used it in my .32 Dell for several years. Just remember to seat it off the powder .100"-200".

Dale53

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2006 at 1:22am
Print Post  

harry_eale

Yes I am using all Winchester brass, not sure if everyone would agree on my choice…yet as I see it…it’s my money and my choice of brass. I did my research on brass…and I liked the data for Winchester for my 45-70. 

All my cast bullets are weighed with in a grain. IMR 4198 has been around a long time and it is a proven powder that I have researched that produces very good loads per load data that I read. My Mentor Bullet Caster, had told me in the beginning of my shooting the Sharps, was to tap the base of my bullet and to keep the tip up to keep the powder at the base closest to the primer, that’s what I do all the time. 

I did not wish to get into a case filler when I first started out, yet I’m at that point now that I’m looking at trying it out. I have a friend that will give me some kapok to try out and I’m sure I can buy kapok if it works for me. 

I try to duplicate the same conditions that I have when I shoot for competition, where I have 20 minutes to shoot my fowlers and my 10 shots for score. I try to keep a rhythm. I don’t think that It’s practical to wait 10 minutes in my practice when I don’t have that much time to do it in competition. I do understand what you are getting at. Yet I did wish to explain why that part of you suggestion is not practical for me. I can take 1 to 2 minutes to include my fowlers. 

I’m out doors when I’m shooting up on the ranch as I was doing last Thursday and Friday. Only the bullets that I had out were exposed to a shaded area, no direct sunlight. All my other load were in Case Boxes closed and in a range bag. I was not aware that a 5 degree change in temperature would make such a difference, thank…that is very good info to know. Yes consistency is very important. Every bit of knowledge helps not just me, but so many others that never say anything on these forums yet use what we discuss, thanks once again. 

I would like everyone to understand that one day I will go BP, yet I would rather stay with Smokeless for now. I do wish to work out as much as I can with my smokeless, before I go to BP. 

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2006 at 7:21am
Print Post  
I would try another powder before I changed anything else.  I generaly say bullet fit is the prime cause of problems in a single shot. However with a big case like the 45/70 smokeless powders have a hard time burning at the proper rate. And Smokeless that does not burn properly is inconsistent. For a clue look for unburned grains or large amounts of residue in the barrel.

This morning I  looked at Handloaders Propellant profiles.  They say 4198 may need wads to get up to proper pressure. Also interesting  was the comment on 4759. Handloader's book  mentions when it was out of production many shooters of old cartridges had to go to 4198 with less than satisfactory results. 

2 F Black would be my first choice, If you need a smokeless load 4759 would be the way I would go. It's not always the best but 4759 will never be wrong in a large straight side case. It's the only thing I ever use for smokeless in anything larger than a 32/40

If either of those don't have any problems then you can go back to the 4198 and see if you can alter the burn rate with more bullet pull. I  have had good luck with the Lee collet dies to put a firm crimp on large bullets. That will generaly get powders burn rates up. It's a personal thing but a wad would be the last thing I would do.

Boats

IP Logged

monkeyboy
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2006 at 9:36am
Print Post  
     Before I went to black powder,I used 28grs of AA5744 with a 1/4 sheet of TP to hold the powder back in the case.Groups @ 100yds averaged 1 1/2"-2",SD's in the 6-8 fps range.Going to black cut those SD's in half! FWIW--Monkeyboy

IP Logged

montana_charlie

Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2006 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Sharps1874,
You didn't respond specifically to one point that harry_eales made, so here it is again...
Quote:
Try weighing your bullets before and after running them through a lube/sizing die. Select only those that weigh exactly the same.

How do your bullets weigh AFTER being lubed?
CM

Retired...twice.  Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #9 - May 1st, 2006 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
If you haven't already thought of these; #1 How well does your firing pin strike the primer? Does it give the primer a good hard wack? Does the pin strike in the center of the primer? #2 Have you tried raising the muzzle up after you load each cartridge, so that the powder will be back against the primer. That might help too. Let us know.

Bob

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #10 - May 2nd, 2006 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
I’ll try to cover all the question the best that I can, so this may be another long one. Let me say hear and now, the Chronograph was always intended as a tool and nothing else. 

boats,

To change a powder would be a major change. One thing that I have learned over the years is make small changes. There can be something that I can improve on that I’m doing now that could make all the difference in the world. And it’s my feeling that I have more then one thing going on with the velocities. I have very good tight bullet fit. 

I have my last brass that I shot to clean and prep t reload them, I’ll take a look to see what if any residue of powder is in my brass, good suggestion, thanks. Yes, I have read some of the same info on IMR 4198, and just 4198 as a whole. Yet it’s still a powder that so many are shooting with, and having great success. Wads are out for me, yet I’m trying to hook up with a friend of mine that has Kapok that he and others are using to try out soon. I’ll keep in mind 4759, yet for now I am gong to do what I can before I rule out IMR 4198. 

I already have 2f for when I start loading for BP. 

monkeyboy,

I’ll keep the AA5744 in mind, yet I’ll use Kapok instead of TP, thanks. 

montana charlie,

I’ll have to get back to you on the weights of my cast bullets before and after being lubed. I have so many that are already lubed that I need to shoot those up. I do have some that are cast and not lubed and more that I am casting yet not lubing until ready for them, I’ll get back to you on that when I do them. 

Schutzenbob,

The firing pin strikes very well. I look at my brass during my case prep. I’m going that today. That is one of many things that I look at. Raising the muzzle has been done in the past. I do admit that I did not do the muzzle lifting last week, yet I always tap the base of my case to settle my powder. 

« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2006 at 9:32pm by »  

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #11 - May 3rd, 2006 at 8:37am
Print Post  

If you try 5744 do not use a wad to constrict the powder. I shot 5744 over a chronograph with the powder loose in the case and with the powder constricted with a wad .100 of the powder. The loads with the powder shot tighter Sds and gave tighter groups.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - May 3rd, 2006 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
40Rod: my experiences w/ Accurate Arms XMP5744 in a Browning 1886 & a .40-65 Browning BPCR were just the opposite of yours.

The XMP5744 loads w/ a wad shot much better groups. I placed a one-quarter sheet of toilet paper in the case to act as wad. 

I have no idea as to ES & SD as I didn't chronograph the loads.

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

dave_j

Reply #13 - May 31st, 2006 at 2:03am
Print Post  
well by golly,  i finally found a person to share a secret with. try IMR 3031. a friend did a bunch of work in the early 70's with 3031 and a trapdoor. very impressive ! i think it was written up in Handloader or Rifle magazine. i believe he used a large pistol primer but you would have to check that out. dont remember the load though. 
one thing to check is to see if the bullet is sealing the bore..... seat the bullet out until it is where it would be when chambered, insert a primed case-no powder- and pull the trigger. you wont hear a thing except the hammer strike. wait 3 seconds and open the breech. if the bore is sealed the case will come flying out and land 6-8 feet away. the bullet base will be covered with soot. if the bore is not sealed the case wont fly out and the bullet will have soot down the sides.  yes this is big mojo but it works Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Grin

ah heck  AA#9,4227,300MP, as long as it goes bang

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 1st, 2006 at 12:26am
Print Post  
dave_j

I do have IMR 3031. I use it for my 30-06 and 30-30 loads. I’m doing some reloading Thursday. I’m thinking about trying the IMR 3031 and see what it does. I’ve done a check, and since I seat my bullets out as far as I can, they are seating. I recently got a small sample of Kapok to use; I just have not done that yet. I have a feeling that my powder is not burning the way it should because the powder is not staying together in one spot directly over my primer. 

When I did my research on what powder to use. The IMR 4198 looked the best over all. And as I found out from the guys that I shoot with, those that shoot smokeless use the IMR 4198. In my research, I found descent load data for IMR 3031 and the IMR 4064 for my 45-70. I already have both the 3031 and the 4064 for my hunting rifles. I have planned to try them out eventually. 

Thanks for the input and the suggestions. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint