Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 44 1/2 Stevens-Is this a good price? (Read 3159 times)
Ex Member

44 1/2 Stevens-Is this a good price?
Mar 25th, 2006 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
For the first time ever I found a 44 1/2 Stevens  rifle, .22 rimfire, at a gun show.  Never see them at shows in this neck of the woods.  Pretty fair shape mechanically but shows its years.  Barrel is fair to good inside, no rear sight, no holes. and receiver has a tang mounted (modern made)  sight.  Wood is good no missing wood, solid, with usual handling marks, dents etc.  Looks like a good project gun.  Guy wants $775.00.  Good price???  My thoughts are to replace barrel and add scope and save old barrel (reline?) to maintain the original gun.  Advise appreciated ASAP.  2520

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Re: 44 1/2 Stevens-Is this a good price?
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2006 at 1:02am
Print Post  
I don't think that is a bad price, at all. Before you rush to replace the barrel, try it out with several different brands of ammo. It may surprise you. If it indeed turns out to need replacing, seriously consider relining. I have a friend who has a whole collection of "brown on brown" Ballards, low-walls, 44's and such that he has relined with excellent results. Most of them will do minute of angle at 100 yards after he is finished with them. It IS important to chamber with a match reamer (matched to the action type). The 44½ can be used with a full match reamer as it's closing action easily seats .22's that have tight match chambers that engrave almost to the case.

Good luck!
Dale53

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2006 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
That's a good price.   leadball

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2006 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Thank you gentlemen for your timely advise.  Whet back to the show this morning to see if I could tempt him with a trade but he was not interested.  He will have the rifle at another show next Sunday.  I will call him tonight or tomorrow and tell him to bring it to the next show and I will rustle up the cash this week.  Will place an ad here as well.  My intentions, Dale were as you described.  I will try shooting with barrel as it is; reline if unsatisfactory.  I would rebarrel only if I think I just have to have a scope.  Thanks again, the only other 44 1/2 I have ever seen at a show was a pretty beat up action only and that at what I thought was a very steep price.  Very rare to find a 44 1/2 at shows in northern Michigan.  2520

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2006 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Congratulations on the purchase of your new (used) Stevens 22RF rifle! Stevens made excellent taget rifles. Now, I have owned two rifles which, although the barrels were not anywhere near perfect, were excellent shooters. One was a Ballard 32-40 with a Schoyen barrel, the other was a Winchester low wall 22. Both of these rifles looked like they were shot out and I thought seriously about relining the Winchester. To my surprize, the Ballard shot 2" groups at 200 yards and the Winchester is a tack driver. (the last 8 inches of the 22 barrel are perfect) Make sure you carefully clean your Stevens barrel, shoot several hundred rounds through it and try different brands of ammo before changing anything!

Bob

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2006 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Stevens 44 1/2's are hard to find anywhere in the USA! They just didn't amke a ton of them, and actions often go for nearly what that whole gun costs! I see dozens of 44 Stevens, but rarely a 44 1/2.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint