Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Mayanrd tip up (Read 3854 times)
moodyholler
Oldtimer

Mayanrd tip up
Mar 18th, 2006 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Picked up a Maynard tip up marked 1873 but stock looks like a Civil War version. Has ladder tang sight and .64 shotgun barrel. Is anyone making rifle barrels for these models? Are there any old barrels out there? Thanks in advance, moodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Mayanrd tip up
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Moodyholler, it looks like you are following along in my stumbling footsteps...be careful, I fall down a lot!   Wink

I have picked up a couple of 1873 Maynards and a 64 shot bbl as well.  Both of mine have the later stock with the comb, but I understand they didn't start using that until several years after they started (re)making the 1873s from 1865s.  Yours having the tang sight suggests that it might have originally been built as a multi-barrel set since the tang sight isn't really a very useful appendage on a shotgun.  BTW, does the SN on the bottom of the barrel match that of the frame?  The good news is that Rocky Mtn Cartridge will make shells for your .64 shot, the bad news is that they are necessarily pretty pricey.

As for additional barrels...John Bly makes some VERY nice barrels.  He is best known for his percussion Maynard barrels, but I have seen his work on a couple of barrels for '73s or '82s and they are excellent.  If he doesn't chime in soon, drop me a PM and I will send you his contact info.  Also, you might try Romano Rifles, he makes repros of both of the percussion models and the 1882 (but not the 1837.)

HTH, Froggie

IP Logged

klw
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2006 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
John Bly have a web site.

Romano Rifle is making maynards.  I would assume that they could help.  They have a web site though they are slow to response to e-mails.  Best to just call them.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2006 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
klw,   

I passed John's e-mail address along to moodyholler in a PM but I didn't know about his website...he must have established that in the last few months (at least since the Fall N-SSA matches at Ft Shenandoah.)

I have dealt with both John Bly and Larry Romano in the course of my Maynard odyssey have found them both to be most helpful.  It is better as you mention to try and catch Larry on the phone.

FWIW, another source for a few Maynard parts which are actually intended for the percussion models but may be adapted to the later ones as well is S&S in New York.  I don't have their address handy, but they advertise in some of the BP and Civil War venues.  I got a nice finished lever from them most reasonably and a couple of smaller parts I needed.

Green Frog

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Froggie, barrel numbers match frame. It is stamped 1865 on the trigger plate and 1873 on the frame. Shotgun barrel has some pitting inside and out.  With the tang sight it is a really cool gun. moodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
moodyholler,

I can't wait to see it next time I'm in the Star City!  I'll try to catch up with you ASAP.  Maybe we can get together and puzzle out how to make up some usable .64 shot ctgs without having to sell one of our guns to pay for them.  Roll Eyes

Froggie

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2006 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Froggie, thanks for the visit and info. Hope you made trhe trip well. moodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2006 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Well guys, watch for moodyholler!  He is a very enthusiastic "single shooter" and will be joining us for some schuetzen events soon, I hope.  I had a great visit with him yesterday and he is a great guy to chat with and another real nice addition to our little community.   

Moodyholler, congratulations again on your newest acquisitions and I'll be looking forward to shooting with you soon.  Please stay in touch with your projects...you're getting me even more energized!  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint