Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic General Condition of Nepalese Martini's? (Read 2424 times)
Paul_F.
Ex Member

General Condition of Nepalese Martini's?
Mar 17th, 2006 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
For almost a year, I've been hoping that SOMEONE locally would buy one of the British Martini's that Atlanta Cutlery and their "sister" company, International Military Antiques have unearthed from Nepal so I could take a first hand look at one... no such luck.

I would kinda like to add one of them to my collection, but I'm a shooter more than a collector. I get more enjoyment out of rifles that I can shoot!

Does anyone have a "first hand" idea of the condition of the bores in particular?
When they call them "Good/Very Good", is their idea of good "has most of it's parts"?

Any insight appreciated!

Paul F.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: General Condition of Nepalese Martini's?
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) is the link to the British Militaria Forums Martini Henry group.  Quite a few folks on that forum have bought the recent Nepal rifles, and you should find a lot of information on them there.

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
Great board at the other end of that link!

Lots of feedback about those Martini's there... generally favorable, except apparently for a predisposition to having some pitting under the wood.  Bores generally very nice.

I think this is one of those imported arms I shouldn't pass up before they dry up (like I have so MANY others and regretted it).

Thanks again!
Paul F.

IP Logged

JLC
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
I bought a couple of Martinis from the Nepalese cache. I read a lot of comments on another forum from those who bought MH from both Atlanta Cutlery and IMA.

As you know, they come from the same source. It believe it wise to pay the extra for "hand select". The MH MKl (converted to MKll) I bought hand select from IMA was very nice as received. The "from stock" MK lV "long lever" I bought from Atlanta Cutlery had a lot of rust under the barrel, and needed repair to the wood, especially under the large barrel band. The pin going though the band was rusted solid, and crumbled to nothing when the rifle was disassembled. That being said, the bore is excellent, and the action fine. Even the wood, except for the two areas fixed, is good with no repairs and very clear markings. All metal stampings are very clear too. This, I believe,  is typical for a lot of the Nepalese cache MH.

This is the advice I got on the Martini Henry forum: if you buy a MH from Atlanta Cutlery or IMA, choose Hand select and ask for the following -

1.  Clear date and crown on the receiver.
2.  Ask for no rust on the large barrel band, and its retaining pin.
3.  No epoxy to fill in the wood around the large barrel band

On guns with problems as mentioned above, the wood got very damp over a long period of time, and besides deep pitting under the barrel, there is a good chance the cleaning rod and the stock bolt will be rusted solid in the wood- that was the case for my "long lever".

I thought of going to Atlanta (I can have a free plane ticket) and select my own, but apparently the staff will only get a handfull of guns out for you, so it's most likely not worth the trouble, unless you live nearby and can stop at regular intervals to check what they have out on the rack. I will order my next MH online, but specify what I want from the "hand select" as outlined above.

JLC

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint