Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What chamber? (Read 3497 times)
Antietamgw
Ex Member

What chamber?
Mar 12th, 2006 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Hello,
I'm new here but have fiddling with single shots for a few years. This is a great site and I've spent way too much time reading all the threads of interest to me. I'd like to pick your brains for some ideas. I have a Hepburn in .32-30 with a tired bore and a huge long throat. I shoot it a bit as it is but have been thinking of rebarreling. I also have a 14 twist Marquart cut rifled barrel blank that slugs .326. Any suggestions for what to chamber it for?  I'm thinking that I could go with the .32-357 Dell, stay with .32-30 or go to .32-40. Seems if I breechseated, the standard chambers would be OK. If I wanted to use fixed sometimes I'd likely need a neck/throat reamer.  I don't have a chambering reamer for either so would need to buy one. Though I have a few 8MM molds, only 2 ( a 230 gr. spitzer, a 250 FP) will cast near large enough and they may be a bit long for 14 twist at target velocities.  If I'm going to need molds and reamers anyway, am I better off to just get a standard .321 barrel and not fight the headaches of the oversize 8MM?  I have this conversation with myself every spring and haven't decided yet. 

Also, anyone know where I might find a Hepburn blank extractor?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Re: What chamber?
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 12:25am
Print Post  
I have a suggestion for you. Write Barry Darr and ask him his advice. Barry (and his partner Jim Borton) makes some of the best schuetzen bullet moulds to be had anywhere. He also was a barrel maker of some note. Since he is not making barrels anymore, he cannot be accused of bias. Regardless, you'll get a straight answer with a great deal of experience behind the answer. Then, whichever whay you decide to go, have he and Jim make you a mould to fit. You will NOT be unhappy.

Dale53

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 8:27am
Print Post  
The bore is too large for a 32-30. If you wish to keep it as a 32-30 You will need to buy a new barrel. Kreiges makes a 303/32-20 barrel that would be the right size.
If you wish to use the barrel that you already have then I would get chambered in 32 Miller. This is not the Miller Short it is a 357 Max case tapered to .32. The longer case will be easier to load into the Hepburn than the 32X 357 Dell or the Miller Short. This case should let you use the original extractor. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

AkMike
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 11:41am
Print Post  
What about boreing your tube out to 38-55? That way it's still original and shootable.

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
I suggest you keep the original Hepburn barrel and get a good .321 barrel [Douglas or etc] and chamber for the 32/40 Ballard, with the proper throat you can now breechseat the bullet or use fixed ammo.  The 32 Dell -Miller Short is pretty much  a breechseating affair. These small cases are probably a hair more accurate than the 32/40 case but it takes a very good shooter-wind doper to prove the point.  leadball

IP Logged

Antietamgw
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Folks,
Thanks for the replies and the sound advice - I knew I'd get good solid answers here. I already have a couple of rifles that I really like with oddball size bores - a #8 Ballard "freshed" to .331 and a brand new custom barrel for a Rolling Block I built that measures a huge .414. Oversize doesn't really matter once you get it shooting but it sure is a pain in the wallet not being able to experiment with any of the lesser cost common molds. I'm sure I'll end up with a good custom mold whether I shoot a standard or oversize bore but I like to experiment and have more readily available choices with a standard bore. Making a neck die and half-reamer to neck and throat the big .40-65 barrel was not hard but took extra time and money that could have been put toward shooting. On the upside, It has deep grooves and the maker gave me the opportunity the lap the bore prior to rifling. I lapped in a slight taper, about .001, and maybe that will also help. I'll know if I ever get her shooting! The Marquart .326 blank also has about .001 taper in the last 3 inches , has narrow grooves and is  smoooooth. That's the only reason it didn't end up "yet" on Ebay. But it doesn't eat much and I own it free and clear so maybe it will stay around. The original barrel on the Hepburn is still shootable so I won't change it by reboring. Though the blue is faded to grey and it has an extra dovetail on the bottom, I'd keep it as it is for the next owners, especially as it is in a less common chambering. I suspect that I'll get another .32 cal blank and a DB mold to suit it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint