Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Douglas, Shilen or? (Read 7439 times)
Antietamgw
Ex Member

Douglas, Shilen or?
Mar 14th, 2006 at 9:17am
Print Post  
I'm considering a .32 cal barrel. I've used Douglas and Shilen barrels before, though not .32, and like both. Looks like Douglas is .321 X 16 twist, Shilen .320 X 14 twist. Any preferences? Alternatives? Thanks!

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Re: Douglas, Shilen or?
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 9:30am
Print Post  
I use a lot of Douglas barrels, as did Charlie Dell and a lot of others- here are their offerings in .321 and .324:

32-40    14,16,18&20      32-40 Win.

8mm     10 & 12             8 x 57 mm, 8mm-06, 8mm Rem. Mag.

Shilen currently lists only 8mm = .323 in 10" twist, and .320 in 14" twist as a black powder barrel.

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Most Schuetzen matches are won with RKS barrels.
Why not try a Ron Smith gain twist barrel?
His barrels are tapered .0004 from chamber to crown ensuring a good gas seal as the bullet progresses down the barrel.
The quality of these cut rifle barrels are subperb.

His .321 gain twist barrels finishing at a 1:14 twist are ideal for 205-210 grain bullets.

His .321 gain twist barrels finishing at a 1:11.5 twist are ideal for 220-235 grain bullets.

IP Logged

choken
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
I'd like to have contact information for Ron Smith's barrels. Does he make a 22 rimfire barrel?

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Between the Douglas and Shilen barrels, I have a Shilen 14" twist (anything slower is too slow for me) and am VERY happy.

Jim Borton's winning rifle has a Smith barrel that ends in 11.5", I believe.

FWIW
Dale53

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Ron Smith
P.O. Box 635
Wimborne, Alberta 
Canada
T0M 2G0
403-631-2405

Yes Ron also makes 22 rimfire barrels, I have one on a Martini International MkII. However he does not do .17s

Just broke in a new RKS 22-250 gain twist barrel  this weekend. Shot a .345" 5 shot group at 100 yards using Speer 50 grain HP TNTs while breaking in.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Dave

Not to be difficult but can you support that most Schuetzen matches are won with RKS barrels ?

I like to see equipment list but finding out what top shooters use is pretty difficult.  I don't think I ever saw a RKS in a match I shot on the East Coast. But then again I have not looked too hard at the makers.

Could be a region thing but around here Douglas barrels are on more rifles than any other kind. CBA who publishes equpment list faithfully has always shown a prefrence for Douglas

Boats

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
A few years ago someone assessed the frequency of placing in the medals at the annual ISSA International Schuetzen  match in Raton based on the rifle barrel maker. Approximately half the time the winner was using a RKS barrel. Unfortunately I cannot relocate the article to give you a proper reference.

Also having shot at all of Tommy Mason's  and the Pacific Northwest regionals and the Canadian International ISSA shoots every year since 2000; I can positively say that at least 75% of all medal winners were shooting RKS barrels at these events.

Yes there are regional preferences to barrel makers and there is also preferences within certain shooting disciplines.

However RKS barrels have become very popular in more than one discipline. In  long range high power game RKS barrels have been winning competitions for many of the British and Australians as well as numerous Americans and Canadians.

But as most everyone already knows Ron doesn''t have to advertise his barrels. They have developed an amazing reputation based on their own merits wether it be for Black Powder, Silhoute, Cowboy Action, Schuetzen, Long Range High Power or for fine custom hunting rifle.

It is impossible to say which is the best when it comes to fine barrel makers like Douglas, Shilen, RKS etc. They are all worthy barrels.

However I can easily get you a list of at least 50 very well respected American and Canadian and other International shooters that swear by RKS barrels. Many of us hold Ron's barrels in as high esteem as Pope's were in his time.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 8:16am
Print Post  
Bob I am sure they are good barrels.  While I have never shot ISSA it does seem from what I read the RKS barrels are much in evidence.

CPA uses Douglas unless another barrel maker is chosen.  On the East coast CPA's are probably the action that is seen at Schuetzen matches more than any other which means we see a lot of Douglas barrels used by the top shooters. And by default doing very well in matches.

They have been in business a long time and compared to small shops have a fairly large production rate which lets them fill orders from stock quickly.  The Button rifling method Douglas uses has  been prefered by many for Cast Bullet shooting. Of course cut Rifling has it's fans too and I guess that's a topic that will always be debated.

I don't think any Schuetzen shooter would go wrong with a Douglas barrel.  I have several and have always been pleased.

Boats

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
our beloved Schuetzenmeister shoots an RKS bbl and we all know that he is hard to beat - be it score or group size - If I had it to do over I would have gotten RKS bbls for my CPA if I would have known about them at the time.
u all have a good day now - rimfire

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #10 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 8:00am
Print Post  
I just got my bench rifle back from Johnsons two days ago. Steve rechambered my .40 2" barrel to 40-70 and he fit the RKS barrel that I sent him to the action. I can't wait to get this out to the range and try it out.

40 Rod

IP Logged

38-55

Reply #11 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Have Schuetzen style rifles with Douglas, Shilen, and 
Badger barrels.  They are all properly chambered and throated for the bullets that I use in them.  Unfortunately, they all do better than I do.  If I could find a barrel that when properly set up on a rifle, was superior on its' own, to others.  I will buy it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint