Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Looking for 38-55 rifle (Read 4034 times)
johnny56
Ex Member

Looking for 38-55 rifle
Mar 8th, 2006 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Good morning all..My grandson is 13 and getting interested in black powder shooting.I am looking for a good used 38-55 rifle for him..I was told that Pedersoli makes a nice one,but I have never seen one of them..I have the dies,brass,bullet mold etc..I am a little concerened about spending a lot,you know how kids are..They loose interest after a couple of months..Let me know if you hear of anything like this...
smokey@cqservices.com   or you can post on here...thanks

IP Logged

martininut
Ex Member

Re: Looking for 38-55 rifle
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 10:48am
Print Post  
I have a buddy down in Georgia that has an extra original Winchester Low Wall in 38-55, completely restored, beautiful bore, perfect case color on the action, that he is looking to sell or trade, for about the same price as a new Pedersoli copy.  If you like, I can get you some pics.  Get ahold of me on my e-mail at: craigbrown5150@sbcglobal.net

IP Logged

Shooter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
You can buy a new NEF/Marlin .38-55 for less than $400. It would cheaply test to see if he will stick with it.
Best,
Mike
Central Va.

IP Logged

johnny56
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Mike,
I thought of that myself..If I can't find something
soon,I might go that route..

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
I recently bought the NEF/Marlin 38-55 and it is still available at Sportsmans warehouse for $299.  My 9 and 10 year olds have a blast and the only real problem is keeping them in ammo.  As for accuracy the jury is still out. One neat thing is that you can pretend you are one of those old timers who stuck to the Wesson target rifles and get a feel for how clumsy they are when trying to clean them when the action is open.  Be sure to bring a big stick to pop out the occasional stuck case. They have an ejector and if there is slightly to much resistance your done.   

Charlie

GTalk  
IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 1:19am
Print Post  
My shooting partner bought one of the NEFs with 2 barrels, .38-55 & .45-70.  With factory jacketed ammo, bullets tumbled at 100 yards when shot from the .38-55 barrel & cast bullets in the smaller sizes were hopeless.  NEF replaced the barrel, but the whole thing caused a lot of stress & hassles.  The .45-70 barrel seems to be OK.

If you get one of those NEFs, take it out for a good session or 2 before you let the lad get involved.  Equipment troubles may be more than he cares to cope with.

IP Logged

johnny56
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Good advice and I appreceiate it..I think I will steer clear of the H AND R Rifles..I have hear too many negative reports about them..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint