Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Pope Barrels (Read 15437 times)
bluesteel45
Ex Member

Re: Pope Barrels
Reply #15 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
pope and alex henry used virtually identical rifling styles. henry prefering the odd number of lands and grooves, [7], and pope the even number,[8]. they employed a completely flat cutter as opposed to one that follows the radius of the bore as todays conventional rifling does. this means the corners of the cutter start cutting first and work their way inwards until the cutter touches right at the apex of the bore's radius. kind of like dragging a hoe through a furrow with a radiused bottom, the corners will engage first until the hoe eventully bottoms out in the trough.....get it??? it also employs a wide cutter that leave a "pyramid" shaped land with a very narrow top, [approx. .015" wide]. this style of rifling worked well in muzzleloading form where paper patching is employed. pope also used a gain twist where as henry employed a constant twist....1:20 inches, i believe. both of these had a degree of taper to the bore as they would have been most likely "square" reamed, [ the most common method of the day], which produced a choke to the bore due to the shim wearing as the reamer was pulled or pushed through the bore. although popes barrels were very good, they are not necessarily better than that of george schoyen, a contemporary of pope. some believe that the gain was more of a "gimmick" of sorts to set pope apart. it was hard to reproduce, therefore giving pope a "mental" edge if nothing else. no slam on mr. pope, he certainly knew his salt...thanks..blue

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 2:56am
Print Post  
Blue,

Thanks for confirming my idea.  In which case, except for the taper and the gaintwist, the closest available to Pope rifling is made by Krieger - they make Henry rifled barrel blanks, FWIW...

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #17 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 8:30am
Print Post  
I most disagree The differences between Pope and Henery rifeling are numerous. An illistration of both is in Roberts book Muzzle Loading Target Rifles. The differences are:
a.) The lands in Pope rifleing are thinner than Henery.
b.) The grooves in Pope rifleing are curved to the inside so that the high point of the curve supports the bullet.
c.) Most Popes were made with a gain twist. Henery rifleing is uniform twist. 
d.) The lands are generally much more pronounced in Henery rifleing.
e.) Pope rifleing is left hand twist Henery is right.
In general Henery rifleing has more in common with Metford rifleing than Pope.

40 Rod

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 10:24am
Print Post  
a.) The lands in Pope rifleing are thinner than Henery. 
Quite possible - although even thinnner would be VERY thin indeed...
b.) The grooves in Pope rifleing are curved to the inside so that the high point of the curve supports the bullet. 

This is also the case on the patent application for original Henry rifling - but was never used in practice on production rifles that I know of.  Maybe on rifles made by A. Henry himself, but I'm not that rich...

c.) Most Popes were made with a gain twist. Henery rifleing is uniform twist.   

True

d.) The lands are generally much more pronounced in Henery rifleing. 
If you say so I will believe you, as I never saw a Pope barrel

e.) Pope rifleing is left hand twist Henry is right. 

True - but does not make a practical difference

In general Henery rifleing has more in common with Metford rifleing than Pope

Here, I have to disagree - Metford segmental rifling is so very unlike of what has been described here, is also very shallow whereas Henry is 'deeper'

Still, the principles applied in both Pope and Henry rifling are identical - with maybe some detail variations (gaintwist rifling, direction of twist), but the general form seems quite similar indeed.

FWIW, this is what Krieger says about it:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
If we were to assume that Pope's Rifling was better than others we could also assume that barrel makers would be making barrels on the Pope system.  The best shooting rifles we have today the 6PPC and 30BR do not use barrels that are gain twist or choke bored or even cut rifled I know its another ball game [modern benchrest] but if these type barrels were better we can be sure thats what they would be making. A good shooting barrel is a good shooting barrel.
                                                 leadball

IP Logged

MP
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Pope rifling was influenced by the rifling by George Schalck, if you have ever looked at Schalck rifling you will see the resemblances.

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen - I have been following this thread with some interest - please let me quote from the book "Respectfully yours, H. M. Pope" Compiled & edited by Gerald O. Kelver fome some of Mr. Popes personal corespondence.
"The Pope system, so called, is, as previously stated, nearly the same as the Schalk, the difference being the shape of the cut, and that my barrels are cut to the correct shape, while Mr. Schalk's were leaded.  Mr. Scchalk's rifling had eight flat grooves and eight narrow lands, with sharp corners to lands.  My rifling has eight wide groves, which are on a radius about three times the radius of the bore, and has the corners rounded out, so dirt is easier removed, and it is cleaner to use.  This groove is cut just deep enoughto clean the bore in the center and give a depth at the corners of about .004 inch, which is about one-half depth of the Schalk, but which is of ample depth, and works cleaner, and leaves less to depend on the upset of the of the bullet, and is therefore more reliable."  There it is from the words of the "master" himself - you don't have to believe it - but he did.

Repectfully to all,  rimfire

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 3:14am
Print Post  
Well, there we have another difference - Henry was 7-sided (although there were also 9-sided barrels) - always an odd no. of grooves.  Would it be possible for someone to take a pic down a pope barrel with a bore light the other side and post it?  I could do the same for a Henry barrel....
One thing also seems to be the case - Pope rifling would have been not so deep as Henry's.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #23 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 10:34am
Print Post  
For anyone who has the book The Muzzleloading Cap Lock Rifle by Roberts, on page 28 There are illistrations of 7 different types of rifleing. Center row far right shows a profile of Henery rifleing. Third row far right shows Pope's rifleing profile.The differences between the two seen aparent to me. Then you add the fact that Henery is a uniform twist with an odd number of grooves and Pope is gain twist with 8 grooves. The only thing they have in common is they are sperial grooved tubeing.
As far as Kreiger's advertising lumping Pope Shalk and Henery rifleing togeather to me is like saying all cars are the same because they have wheels. While Pope used Shalk's rifleing as a starting point he changed the profile to inprove the Shalk gain twist system.
As far as I know Kreiger makes a wonderful barrel but all their barrels are uniform twist which excludes them from being either the Pope or Shalk systems let alown the differences in the rifleing profile.

40 Rod

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 10:47am
Print Post  
40rod,

Could you please post those pics from the book here, just for reference?

I found a reference, describing Henry rifling:
Quote from W.W. Greener, "The gun and its development":

"The bore, rifles upon Henry's principle, consists of 7 grooves, .03 of the original bore being left between each groove as lands, and the lands and the centres of the grooves are contained in the same circle.  The twist, is right-handed, uniform, 1 turn in 22",...."
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2006 at 11:32am by MartiniBelgian »  
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #25 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Unfortunatly me picture Juu Juu is bad on this site I have tried in the past and failed every time.
I can't be the only guy with this book. How bout a hand out there.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #26 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
In John Dutcher's Ballard book on page 347 there are four pictures showing Pope style rifling as well as Zischang and Schoyen. If you don't already have Dutcher's book you should buy it, or at least ask Santa Clause. As I've heard it explained, the grooves in Shalk-Pope rifling are formed by two shalow corners, so that the bottom of the groove is actually the radius of the bore. This means that the distance across the grooves is nearly the same as the bore diameter. The idea was that the bullet would be deformed very little and therefore Pope's rifling design would shoot better that other designs. Although Pope's barrels shot extreamly well, other barrels made by Schoyen, Zischang, Neidner, Hubalek and others shot well too. I think you guys have pretty well covered the other points.

Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint