Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens Rifles (Read 8360 times)
smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Stevens Rifles
Feb 15th, 2006 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Does anyone on this forum have anything in general to do with Stevens Rifles.  I have several and was wondering if they were a topic of conversation.

Anyone who cares to can go to my site at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)  and look through 3 or 4 albums of some of my BS. Any comments are welcome.

DG
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2006 at 8:43pm by smoke810 »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Stevens Rifles
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Stevens!!!! Why would anyone with a Winchester, want a Stevens too? Grin Wink
Just had to give you a little bit of trouble Don!

Vall

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
smoke810;
               The Stevens Rifles were the best of the factory rifles [so they say] ---I have owned several Stevens originals and CPA"s--I also have a couple Hi Walls--they make real good hunting rifles.   leadball

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Smoke810,

I've been lurking around here for a while, so this is my first post.  I do some messing around with Stevens rifles.  Have restocked one, reforended several barrels, rebarreled a few, even refinished one.  Your inletting work (and your taste in single-shots) is excellent.  For pure looks, I like the styling of the #44 the best.  I like that late-Victorian flying-buttress look, whether in houses, furniture, machinery or guns.  For strength, of course, the #44-1/2 gets the nod, although I dislike having to cock most of them in order to clean them from the breech.  And the other designs have their points, too.  But the Stevens is my "Favorite." Tongue

I have the remains of a 414 that I got in working order and use for a .22 silhouette rifle.  Nowhere near as complete as your specimens.

Did you buy that rifle with the sideways Stevens .22 barrel from Frey's about 8 months or so ago?  His "official" appraiser/historian/friend/sometimes customer brought it (or one just like it) over for me to look at.  I'd never seen anything like it before; it looked to me like somebody had made the action and stock by hand.  How does it shoot?

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Brent

You are correct in your assumption.  I purchased the rifle at Auction Arms, Frey's was the seller.  I honestly don't have a clue as to buying it, it just looked neat and unique.  I have not seen anything like it.  I went to Claremore to the J.M. Davis Museum and looked at everything in there but didn't find anything close.  It has been suggested it may be a Frank Wesson rifle but I don't have the books by James Grant to research it.  I posted another picture in the other thread so everyone can get a full length look.  No I never have shot it but intend to in the next couple of days when I get my Winchester 1885 back from the smith.

DG

Quote:
Smoke810,

I've been lurking around here for a while, so this is my first post.  I do some messing around with Stevens rifles.  Have restocked one, reforended several barrels, rebarreled a few, even refinished one.  Your inletting work (and your taste in single-shots) is excellent.  For pure looks, I like the styling of the #44 the best.  I like that late-Victorian flying-buttress look, whether in houses, furniture, machinery or guns.  For strength, of course, the #44-1/2 gets the nod, although I dislike having to cock most of them in order to clean them from the breech.  And the other designs have their points, too.  But the Stevens is my "Favorite." Tongue

I have the remains of a 414 that I got in working order and use for a .22 silhouette rifle.  Nowhere near as complete as your specimens.

Did you buy that rifle with the sideways Stevens .22 barrel from Frey's about 8 months or so ago?  His "official" appraiser/historian/friend/sometimes customer brought it (or one just like it) over for me to look at.  I'd never seen anything like it before; it looked to me like somebody had made the action and stock by hand.  How does it shoot?

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Smoke810,

I looked in vain for any sign of a maker on the outside of the rifle.  I would think, though, that anyone who put that much time into it would sign it somewhere.  Maybe under the buttplate or in the action under the barrel.

The design kind of hearkens back to the Davenport, which also cradled the barrel in the frame, rather than screwing it into a hole in front.  I would guess that whoever made it was limited to hand tools, a drill press and maybe a grinder.  A pretty impressive project for anyone to undertake.  Hope it shoots well; Stevens barrels held many records, especially the .22's.  I understand one of those 414's won the 1912 Olympics.

Saw a Ladies' Model Favorite at the Santa Barbara Gun Show this weekend.  Also a Stevens-Pope Ballard with Pope rear sight complete with mold and lube pump.  Both way outta my price range, alas.  A fair number of Favorites and a couple of plain-vanilla 44's.

You don't see a lot of 44-1/2's out in Arizona or California, and they don't seem to have much greater than token representation even at shows like Las Vegas.  I've probably seen more Borchardt single-shots than high-grade Stevens 44-1/2's, and many more Ballards than all the high- and field-grade 44-1/2's combined, which is odd when collectors start talking about rarity and the huge numbers of rifles Stevens cranked out in the glory days.  I've gone back to Michigan several times to that antique arms show in Novi, expecting that most of the Stevens were more popular back East, but haven't seen any more than the proportion of them that exists out here.

Someone's ratholing the dern things, and I demand an investigation Grin!  One that doesn't cover the four 44-1/2's and the five 44s that I've managed to save from their greedy hands, of course.

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
The reason that Stevens 44  1/2 rifles are so scrace is [according to Paul Shuttleworth & other sources] there were only 12 thousand or so produced.    leadball

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Well considering that Stevens thought the demand for the 44 would be nil once they offered the 44 1/2, it would seem that their theory was way off!
Not only did the demand for the 44 not drop off, it ended up outlasting the 44 1/2 by years.
Now I like both actions, for different reasons, but my preference in the looks department is for the 44 also! The 44 1/2 is much stronger, but for the pistol calibers the .44 is fine, and the profile just appeals to me more.
I've got 44 1/2's in .32-40 (#47), .25-25 (schuetzen), and .25-21 (schuetzen) calibers.
I've only got two 44's, a .32-20 amd a .22 (schuetzen)
I could easily own many more if I was a rich man, and wasn't so easily distracted by all the other neat singleshot rifles!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

thickside
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 20th, 2006 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Hey Bent

Just out of curiosity, how much was the Stevens-Pope-Ballard rifle setup you saw.

Thanks

Thickside

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Leadball,

I had no idea so few were produced.  I was under the impression the 44-1/2 was in production from 1903 to 1914 or 1915.  That would be 1000 rifles/year; I figured Stevens would be making more than that.  Still, the incidence of the rifles is pretty low, so I guess it must be true.

Thickside,

The Pope outfit was going for $6K or so.  Straight-grip stock with double-trigger ring lever and Scheutzen buttstock, palm rest, mold (didn't look like a Pope mold) and a Pope lube pump.

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Bent_Ramrod;
                   I think your probably right about the Stevens 44 1/2 averaging about 1000 rifles a year through its 13 or so years of production.  Some of the production figures I've seen on these years indicate that about all single shot rifles had yearly sales around 1000 or less, those dreaded repeaters were on the scene.
                   The Stevens 44 1/2 total production may have been the least of all the Factory single shots--some rough numbers   Sharps Borchardt  24000---Marlin Ballard  40000---Win SS  140000  --Rem RB   a bunch.    leadball

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Remington Rolling Blocks - a million or so. Yep! That's a bunch Grin

Dale53

IP Logged

thickside
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Hey Bent

If you would be so kind to email me at joe 5566 @ netzero.net  (remove spaces) I would like to ask you some more questions about the Pope rifle.

Thanks
Thickside

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 1:03am
Print Post  
I've been a seeker of single shots for better than 40 years and only seen one 44 1/2 on a gun rack.  I'll post something on that in the Pope subject in the collector's section.  I have a Newton and had a 1910 Ross, but never a 44 1/2. Those buggers are rare.

Between 1965 & 1970, I spent a lot of weekends acquiring the bulk of my collection in upstate New York & New England.  And I never saw or even heard of a 44 1/2 for sale.  My gun searching partner acquired a couple of Zischangs and a Schoyen, but never a 44 1/2.  I have a 28/30 and a 25 SS, but they are 44s.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint