Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic M1885 fly? (Read 3390 times)
gene4060
Ex Member

M1885 fly?
Feb 2nd, 2006 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
I recently purchased a m1885 Winchester low wall with a single set trigger. Took it down today and found no fly on the hammer even though it is cut for one. I contacted the previous owner and apparently what little firing he did was without fly as he never took it down. I checked out an old high wall action that I pulled the varmit barrel off of some time ago and lo and behold it does not even have a cut for a fly. I shot that rifle for years with it's single set trigger. Does anyone have experience that suggests that one is necessary or not in the original SS trigger arrangement on the Winchester 1885?
Thanks,

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: M1885 fly
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Gene,  With my 'walls with SST, the ignition of the primer becomes a little spotty without benefit of fly, as the sear will sometimes drag slightly across the half cock notch as the hammer swings down.  This is because the movement of the sear is not quite so positive from the strike of the knockoff when firing from set position as from the push of the top of the knockoff while it is still being acted upon by the unset trigger.   

This situation was dealt with by Winchester with the fly in the hammer, a groove in the sear to clear the fly, and a reduced strength sear spring to allow it to retract more easily and drop more slowly than normal for the standard trigger.  Collectively and when adjusted properly, this results in a fairly consistent performance by the SST, though not as good as either version of the DST.

HTH, Froggie

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: M1885 fly?
Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 1:16am
Print Post  
IIRC, the cut for the fly in the hammer was not limited to set triggers.  I have 2 Winder Muskets with hammer slots & flys.  One drops the hammer to half cock on closure and  the other leaves the hammer at full cock.  I have not checked but have been told that if I reverse the fly, I can alter the hammer position at closing.  Good idea for a training rifle.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
AFAIK, the slot and special fly to lower the hammer to half cock were a standard feature of all of the 3rd Model Winders if not of all Winders.  FWIW, when I put a SST on my converted Winder-cum-sporter, the original fly seemed to allow the SST system to work too.  When I tried an SST without the fly, dragging on the sear and misfires occurred with regularity.  JME, YMMV.   8)

Froggie

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
I'm not extremely knowledgeable on Winchesters, but didn't they use lots of hammers cut for the fly, even on guns that were never set trigger guns? I know I've owned a number that had this feature, but were regular triggers.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
All the coil spring hammers that I've seen personally have been cut for the fly, but that's a mighty small sample.
FWIW, Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint