Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) San Francisco Bay Area Shooters (Read 8685 times)
Sharps1874
Ex Member

San Francisco Bay Area Shooters
Oct 5th, 2005 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Hello to All Big Bore Single Shot San Francisco Bay Area Shooters,

I received and now have at home with me my 1st Sharps Rifle. I’m interested in finding other Big Bore Single Shot Shooters that live in the San Francisco Bay Area. And if it has not been done yet maybe set up our own group for the area. As far as I’m aware we do not have any thing out here for those of us that shoot the Big Single Shot Rifles. If we already have something out here please let me know and who to contact. I’m in search of others like myself that has a Rifle like mine, it does not have to be a Sharps. 45 and 50 caliber rifles that shoot Smokeless and Black Powder. There is so much that we can learn from each other, and if it has not been done do we have enough interest to put together the big draw for shooter like us that they have done outside of California. I’m wondering if I’m the only one out here in the San Francisco Bay Area. If I am not I’d like to meet and get together with others that have Sharps and other rifles like the Sharps. 

IP Logged

WillH
Ex Member

Re: San Francisco Bay Area Shooters
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 1:34am
Print Post  
Paul,

After the November voting you'll need to turn that dandy Sharps in cuz it's gonna be illegal to own such a weapon in the "city by the bay".  You could just make a pole lamp outta it!  That would be nice! Tongue

Best,

Will

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 2:11am
Print Post  
Will,

Yes, I know of a proposed ballot initiative, which would ban the possession of handguns and the sale, manufacture and transfer of all firearms and ammunition in the city and county of San Francisco. They vote on this proposal, on the November 8th special election ballot.
If a simple majority of voters approves Proposition H on that day, the ban will take effect on Jan. 1, 2006.
After that, San Francisco gun owners will have 90 days to surrender their firearms to authorities. Since all handgun sales are now registered in California, confiscation of firearms from honest, peaceable citizens will presumably begin sometime soon after that.

Fortunately I don’t live in San Francisco, so what ever they do there will not affect me. I’ll still get to keep my guns no matter what they do in San Francisco. 

IP Logged

Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
"Fortunately I don’t live in San Francisco, so what ever they do there will not affect me. I’ll still get to keep my guns no matter what they do in San Francisco."

I would not be so smug.

If the initiative passes, defeats any legal challenges, & is implemented,  you best better that it will only be matter of time before the other Bay Area anti-firearms counties & municipalities follow suit.

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Ray,

I'm not trying to be so smug, just don't want to think about it spreading to the rest of the state. Yes, I know that if San Francisco can get it passed, it's just a matter of time until it spreads. Just not happy with that thought.

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 12:53am
Print Post  
Hello Everyone, 

I was hoping that I would have had one or replies from people in my area that I could hook up with. It’s pretty sad when I cannot find any out my way.  Well I’m not letting that spoil enjoying my time shoot my Sharps. It would have been nice to have met other shooters that have the same love for these big guns. The 40 calibers and up are in a league of their own, and I mean that in a very nice way. My 45-70 is so very different them my 30-30 or my 30-06. My 45-70 is a so much fun to shoot. You might say that I have the fever, and yes I’m hooked. 

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Paul,

I think part of the problem that you're not getting any answers is because you seem to be very specific on the people you want to contact. Shooters in the San Fran. area just might not want to have anyone know they have guns considering the situation there.

I can't help you directly but there are several clubs in Calif. that, if Garbe's magazine is any indication, hold BP matches. Not being familiar with Calif. I don't know how close these clubs are to you. It will probably come down to you'll have to travel in order to shoot with like minded people.

The ASSRA Journal also list a few Calif. clubs, but I would assume that they shoot the smaller calibers that we use in Schuetzen, altho your rifle and caliber would be more than welcome I'm sure. I'd be happy to list all of them for you if you'd like.

Also, I'm not sure what other Forums you're on but the following might be better places to ask your question.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I know several Calif. shooters hang out on the top listed one.

Considering your "gun control" situation out there one thing you might do when asking is to also list your email address so those living close to you could get ahold of you privately.

PETE

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the insight and the links. I’m already with shilohrifle, yet I just joined the other sites. For some reason I’m unable to activate my member ship on Goex, I keep getting a server error with the link they sent me to activate with. I’ll keep trying later. Ya I know the issues that are going on in San Francisco, and over the years there are less and less gun shops or gun dealers around the SF Bay Area. I was just hoping to find others in the Bay Area as a whole, not San Francisco particularly. Thanks for trying to get me in the right direction it is appreciated. Maybe someone else is out here that is trying to do the same thing that I am. Its sad that the only places that I am aware of that have the long range shooting are 80 to 100 miles away. Thanks again for your help. 

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Paul,

Well, until last year the closest 1000 yd. and Shilouette range was 250 miles away for me. Yeah... I know. I can feel your sorrow for me way out here.  Cheesy Now it's only 45 miles away and within 10 miles of where we shoot Schuetzen!

I certainly wish you luck in finding some guys close enuf so you can pop over for coffee and shoot the bull. When my buddy and I started out in SS shooting we probably knew less than you do, and we didn't have an internet to go to either. I think we made every mistake in the book learning to.

PETE

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
I'll trade my 1,000 yd range at 15 miles away, for a schuetzen match 15 miles away! Wink The closest place to shoot a schuetzen match is a 3 hr. drive.

IP Logged

bluesteel45
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
sounds like a few of you san franciscans ought to dress like indians, row out into the harbour at night and throw some tea overboard!!! i never like to hear of such political roadblocks popping up anywhere, but give us a break.......outlawing b.p. singleshots just goes to show you that it goes way beyond outlawing 'gangster' type weapons, and just ridding san fran of all weapons..... i mean, i guess it really dosen't surprise me THAT much, but i guess the second amendment dosen't carry any weight with those bozos, unless , of course, it's protecting their FIRST amendment right to voice their disdain for all firearms.....blue Cry

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
I originally posted this last October. I was hoping to get a good response from 40 caliber and 45 caliber shooters out here and that was a major disappointment. I did get some bad mouthing for living out here. And for mention, the name of one particular city which the bay is named after. Fortunately, I also posted this request on other forums that behaved more respectfully and professionally then here. And yes, I was able to find other shooters. I’ve been now shooting with a group of them. And as I expected they are a great group of guys. As you all should already know those that shoot the big guns, those that shoot BP, those that reload, and also those that cast their own bullets are some fine people to meet and to know. For those of you that have gone to Sacramento for the monthly BPCR Silhouette shoots know how great a time they have there, and some of the nicest and finest people that I have ever met. I’m sure this is common at all the ranges. 

Maybe I’m just to soft skinned, but I never thought that such a simple request on such a respected site could be taken so wrong and handled by some of its member in the wrong direction. I was asking for some help and I got allot of disappointing replies and sarcasm and criticism for where I live. And you wonder why it is sometimes hard to keep the love and passion of shooting and hunting alive out here, with those kinds of replies. I did appreciate those of you that did give me some good suggestions. No one appreciates where they live to be trashed. That was just so wrong. The gun clubs that we have throughout the state are active everyday, and the weekends are packed just like they are any where else. So shooting for fun or for competition is alive out here, as is hunting of all sorts of game. We are proud of it just as you all are of where you live. Enough said. 

I’ve found someone that has been casting bullets for some 40 years that will teach me how to cast. I bought my first bullet mould, Lyman 535 Postell. What a great bullet. Sure am tempted to buy Paul Jones 570 AA Smerker Long Range mould. I’m working on trying to develop a good load for the 420s. If I can then I’ll buy a 420 mould. I’ve seen the Paul Jones bullets, they are very clean, yet you pay for what you get, and they are not cheap. I’ll be casting this summer once I buy what I need to cast. I’ve got my wish list, now I just need the money to buy all of it. Thanks to those of you that have helped out. And if there is anyone out here that has been looking as I have for the same thing, any where close to Fremont, or the Eastbay drop me a line. 

IP Logged

cc_Shooter
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Paul:
Have you ever shot at the Metcalf range just south of you?  If I am not mistaken they have a "cowboy" gong shoot on the 4th saturday of the month at their 200 yard range.  This included lever action and single shot rifles.  I have not taken the time to attend this match myself but I am tempted.  I often shoot the BPCR match at Sacto, was there yesterday.  I won 2nd A with my new toy, a 40-72 WCF Highwall.   
MJS

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
cc_Shooter,

I was at Sacramento on Saturday for the BPCR shoot. I’m not shooting BP yet. I was there to watch Jimmie and Gary shoot. Jimmie won the A. I had the red jacket with the hood on at the end when it got real cold out there. I had the Black Dakota truck. This was the second month in a row that I’ve been there. Jimmie and Gary were shooting on #3 next to Arnie on #4. I had my Spotting scope set up watching the shoot. 

No, I have not been to the Metcalf Range. I did not know about it until now. Field Sports Park ("Metcalf"), south of San Jose, 408/463-0652. I’m in Fremont, where are you located? Is the Metcalf range out there by Evergreen area? From my internet search that is on a county park in Santa Clara. I did not know the state or counties had rifle and shot gun ranges, that must be rare. Is it part of the Joseph D Grant Park? It looks like it’s at 200 Metcalf Rd, San Jose, CA. That is not all that far from where I live. Maybe about an hours drive. Do you know anyone that has gone there?   

IP Logged

cc_Shooter
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Paul:
I started on Turkeys on bank 5.  I drive the yellow Ford Escape.   I know Jim V.  I consider Sacto to be my home range but do not get to shoot there as often as I want to.  My shooting pard lives in the Sierras east of Placerville.   

I do most of my load testing at Field Sports Park (Metcalf) on their 100 yard range.  Yes it is a county park and the good thing about that is they give those of us 60 and older a 50% discount.  It started as a range owned by Winchester firearms many years ago but is now a county park.  The range is a couple of hundred yards east of 101 just past Metcalf Road.  It is most easily accessed by taking the Bailey Road exit and going east over 101 and just following the road back to the range.  Or you can take the Bernal Road exit and taking Monterey Highway south to Metcalf Road and taking the first right after crossing over 101 and then drive south about 1 mile to the range.  You can see the shotgun range from 101.   

As far as the rude behavior goes just take it with a grain of salt.  I do not think anyone meant to seriously insult you.  It just goes with the territory of living in close proximity to SF.  I do a lot of travel on my job and the rest of the country looks askance at California and SF in particular.  I live in Sunnyvale.  I should be at the next Sacto match.  I hope to see you there. 
MS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint