Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) uberti high wall (Read 8151 times)
gunsbrad
Ex Member

uberti high wall
Mar 9th, 2005 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Hello all,
     I am new to this forum.  Looks great. I have two uberti actions rebarelled with gm barrels.  45-70 and 3855.  45-70 is almost complete.  Does anyone have any experience with these. What are your impressions.  Any help would be apreciated.   

thanks

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: uberti high wall
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2005 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Welcome aboard!  The subject of the Uberti high-wall copy has come up several times on the various "rooms" of this board.  I think that the opinions have varied a whole lot based mostly on the shooter's individual background and expectations.  I have seen a couple of the basic rifles in .45-70 do pretty well right out of the box and one .45 rebarrel job that was engraved and tricked out to be somebody's "special" hunting rifle.  You don't mention the triggers...are they standard triggers or set triggers?  The standard trigger may be tuned to a very fine pull and is actually preferred by some target shooters as being a little faster.  The set triggers have their supporters as they can be adjusted to such a light pull weight they are more controllable.

As for the Grn Mtn barrels, I was very favorably impressed with the .32-40 and .45-70 barrels I put on two original high-walls, so have every reason to think they will do well for you in your application also.  There have been several threads lately on the .38-55, so you should be able to find lots of good ideas with a little searching.  Data for the .45-70 is so widely available that I'm sure you are already finding that.  I would not be afraid to shoot any load for .45-70 that is safe in about any rifle in my high-wall, but to be absolutely safe, you might avoid the ones designed for the Ruger #s 1 & 3.  Congratulations on your fine start on these rifles and again, welcome to the forum.

Regards,
the Green Frog

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2005 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Welcome gunsbrad;
                         Know very little about the Uberti's except they look nice. I just bought my first Green Mountain 45/70 barrel--they sure are bright inside if that means anything.
                       These GM- full oct barrels come about 36" long for less than $150--thats about half price of any other barrel.  The machine work on my GM barrel is top-shelf--I'll find-out this summer if they shoot as good as they look.
         again welcome----leadball

IP Logged

gunsbrad
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2005 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the kind words.  The triggers were both plain triggers, but I have just finished converting the 38-55 to a single set trigger.  I am finding plenty of info on both cartridges, and I have heard wonderful things about Green Mountain bbls. My main concern is the action itself.  It looks great to me and the price was right.  I have read mixed reports about these rifles, but most bad stuff about bbls(wrong twist & c.).  Wondering????

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2005 at 6:17pm
Print Post  

Quote:
  I have read mixed reports about these rifles, but most bad stuff about bbls(wrong twist & c.).  WonderingHuh?

Gunsbrad,

Quality of the barrel is of course dependent on the maker. Altho I don't own a GM barrel I've never heard a bad report on them.

As for the barrel twists you were wondering about, you will need a 1-18" for the .45/70, and a 1-14" or 1-16" for the .38/55. Anything slower and you will handicap yourself as to what bullet wgts. you can use. The twists mentioned above will handle any of the current bullet wgts. used by the various venues you might be interested in. In fact they have become pretty well standard from the barrel and gun makers. If you find a barrel with a slower twist find your barrel, or gun, somewhere else.

PETE

IP Logged

gunsbrad
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2005 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
I meant the uberti bbls.  I don't think I have heard anything bad about the gm bbls.  I was wondering about the action itself.  Sorry for the confusion.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2005 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Gunsbrad, some of the early reports on the Uberti high-wall copies said that some of the critical parts tended to wear fast and funny due to insufficient hardening or wrong alloys, but that seems to have been an early problem which has since been conquered.  Like you, I heard some bad things about some of the barrels, but that point has become moot for you, so the only other things are getting goodstock fit, tuning your trigger to suit, and of course getting a good set of sights (iron or scope, as desired) mounted securely.  Sounds like you are on your way there!  Smiley

Froggie

IP Logged

sakoman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2006 at 9:32am
Print Post  
How does the C Sharps HiWall workmanship compare to the Uberti HiWall?

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

stevens52

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2006 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
IMO the quality of fit and finish on the Sharps is most excellent. The quality of material is as good as one can expect as well. You have to understand that the C Sharps rifles are custom guns and they show that in quality and cost. The Uberti's are very usable but have had cause for concern by a number of users, as Froggie has mentioned. As ever, the nicer stuff seems to cost more.

IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Pete, you say that the best twist for a 38/55 is 1-14 or 1-16.  However, Campbell in Vol II of The Winchester Single Shop says factory twist was 1-18.   Is this correct?  If so, why would the factory use a less than optimum twist?

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
V:
When the cartridge was developed they probably shot lighter bullets.

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
The factory load was, and is, 255 grain.  Are heavier bullets more popular now?

IP Logged

horsefly
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Good morning, vigillinus;

Yes, heavier bullets are used especially for silhouette.  For .38-55, the Lyman 335 is about minimum for the far targets.  The .45.70 and .40-65 both are using much heavier bullets than originally.

Some of the hotrock .38s (.38-50 and up) are approaching 400 grains.

Y'all be good.

horsefly

IP Logged

3T
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
gunsbrad, (or others who might know)

who did or does the Uberti rebarrel with the green mountain barrel?  Have a Uberti Highwall 45-70 that I may want to upgrade.

regards

3T

P.S

Upon reflection this was pretty rude of me...jumping on the forum with a question right off the bat.  Let me say that I have enjoyed reading posts here for quite some time and have learned a few things that have been useful to me.  I am just dipping my toe into the Single Shot world.  I own a few Ruger #1s and Handi Rifles but have just this past year purchased my first Lone Star Rolling Block 38/55 and Uberti Highwall 45-70.  Just this past week I began working on black powder loads for the first time for these two rifles.  So far so good.  So, Hello! and I appreciate your site.  Look forward to visiting with you.

« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2006 at 10:36pm by »  

IP Logged

gunsbrad
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 7:08am
Print Post  
3T

Welcome, I hope you have as much fun as I have with this stuff.  There are several smiths of note on this board who I am sure could do a wonderful job with your project.  Perhaps Mr. Glen Fewless(HST).  Give him a try I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Good Luck,
Brad Hurt

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint