Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Help!! With Identification! (Read 5241 times)
smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Help!! With Identification!
Feb 13th, 2006 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
I am new here and hate to take up your time but!!  I posted this rifle on a couple of other forums and recieved no response.

Can anyone shed any light of any kind on the make of this rifle?  It's a .22 LR. Barrel is about 30", no numbers of any kind that I can find.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

DG
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2006 at 8:28pm by smoke810 »  

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Help!! With Identification!
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Have you looked under the fore arm?  The dovetail on the side of the barrel suggests that it has been set back and turned 90 degrees.  Perhaps the manufacturer's info is now under the wood.  It reminds me somewhat of a Bay State, but I don't think it's any rifle I remember seeing before.  Love the buttplate though!  Grin

Froggie

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Allen and Wheelock?  moodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
moodyholler

Are you looking at something specifically with regard to Allen & Wheelock??  I ran a "google" but don't find anything much but pistols.

DG

Quote:
Allen and Wheelock?  moodyholler

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Green_Frog

I pulled the gun out and checked it again. removed the forearm, and found nothing except two punch marks right in front of the reciever. Re-measured the barrel and found it to be 32".  There is a dovetail and a threaded hole milled on the left side of the barrel beside the front sight.  The rear sight is a Marbles elevator and appears to be newer than the rifle.  The barrel is marked in one line "J. Stevens & Co. Chicopee Falls, Mass Pat Sept 6 1864.  I could find no other marks but did not remove the butt.

I think your observation with regard to the milled slot on the left side maybe correct with regard to it being turned 90 degrees because the milled slot on the left side of the front sight now was probably the original location the front sight with a new dovetail being milled for the current front sight location.  Makes sence to me anyway.

I added another picture that might help!

DG

[quote author=Green_Frog link=board=ssr;num=1139876415;start=0#1 date=02/13/06 at 21:00:30]Have you looked under the fore arm?  
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2006 at 8:31pm by smoke810 »  

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Another WAG would be that the Stevens bbl is a replacement itself as that receiver doesn't look very Stevens-y to me...others on the board more familiar with the arcane variants of that company are heartily encouraged to chime in here!  8)   

In addition, the (now) top photo showing a close-up of the left side of the receiver shows at least two screws that are pretty sure to be modern additions, the knurled screw just above the trigger and the small one directly under the chamber both appear to be allen screws which are most anachronistic compared to the apparent age of the rifle.  I think somebody has done at least some rebuilding fairly recently.

JMHO, take it FWIW!  Grin
Froggie

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Green_Frog

Your observation the screw (Allen head) is correct it was installed by me as a temporary measure.  The screw that was in there fell out and had no threads.  There are also 2 more allen heads in the lower tang because the originals where not in the rifle when it was recieved.

DG

Quote:
.  I think somebody has done at least some rebuilding fairly recently.

JMHO, take it FWIW!  Grin
Froggie

IP Logged

buchsenmacher

Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 6:14am
Print Post  
I'll throw my opinion in here for what its worth. (very little I'm sure) 

I believe what you have here is a gunsmith made rifle as opposed to a factory made one. The gunsmith may have been trying to come up with the next great design or he simply wanted to make one himself. He used a Stevens barrel from another rifle. This would explain the extra front sight cuts. As for the cut on the side of the barrel near the breech I'll offer another opinion, it's for a rear sight. It could have been made with an L shaped piece coming up out of the slot and extending over the barrel to hold either an aperature or an open blade. The screw hole in the reciever over the slot would then be a set screw to hold the elevation setting. You mentioned that the rear sight on the barrel looked like a later replacement, this would be consistant with the original rear sight being lost. 

Remeber, this is just conjecture on my part and I have nothing to back it up.

Steve Durren

Steven Durren
Professional member, ACGG

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
If you can find a copy of Grant's second book "More Single Shot Rifles" Chapter 3 is titled "F. Wesson, Maker" Apparently during his life, Mr. Wesson designed and built lots of single shot rifles. Of the Wesson rifles pictured in Grant's book, none are exactly like your gun.....but some are very similar, including the conture of the frame and the slot on the side of the barrel. If I had to guess, I would say that it might be an experimental rifle by Wesson. ?Quien Sabe?

Bob

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Schutzenbob

I don't have that book. If you have a scanner would it be possible to scan a couple of pages and email them to me at chknspit@cox.net.  In the meantime I will go Amazon and see it the book is available.

Thanks

Don G.

Quote:
If you can find a copy of Grant's second book "More Single Shot Rifles" Chapter 3 is titled "F. Wesson, Maker" Apparently during his life, Mr. Wesson designed and built lots of single shot rifles. Of the Wesson rifles pictured in Grant's book, none are exactly like your gun.....but some are very similar, including the conture of the frame and the slot on the side of the barrel. If I had to guess, I would say that it might be an experimental rifle by Wesson. ?Quien Sabe?

Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint