Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic AYDT parts (Read 2675 times)
Cknerr
Ex Member

AYDT parts
Feb 13th, 2006 at 7:15am
Print Post  
With the help you guys have given me in the past, I hope you will indulge me again. I think this SS stuff is getting addictive.

I recently was given the front end of an AYDT. It has the barrel and part of the receiver. There is no trigger or lever assembly. The falling block (?) is there. Where can I get info on the missing parts. It is nicely engraved, small caliber and short cartridge. When I can unearth my machinist tools (re-arrangeing my shop at the moment) I can get some numbers for you. If there are places to look for names etc. please let me know and I will add them to this message. Nothing is noticeble on/in the receiver.

Could you verify something for me. One person I talked to said this type of rifle was often used as a Zeissenschuetzen, (excuse my spelling please), or "room shooter". After dinner targets where stood up in front of the fireplace and target practice would commence. ?! yikes, that might impress the hired help to get the brandy served faster.... am I getting handed a line of "fertilizer"?

Thanks again for your help,
Chris

IP Logged

buchsenmacher

Re: AYDT parts
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Chris,

There are two books you should have if your going to do some work on an Aydt. The first is "Single Shot Rifles and Actions" by Frank deHaas. It has a very good drawing of the inside of the Aydt along with several other German single shots. The second book, or series if your rich, is "Alte Scheibenwaffen" edited by Tom Rowe. Volume 1 covers the Aydt and its variations. These books aren't as useful when working on the internals, but contain a wealth of information on the rifles themselves.

Remember when working on these rifles, that they were largely hand-made and therefore very few parts will interchange.

Your friend was refering to a "Zimmerstutzen". These rifles fired a 4 millimeter ball, sometimes from a fixed rimfire shell, sometimes loaded with a seperate primer and ball (no powder) in a loading mechinisim located on the forward part of the barrel. These arms are covered in volume 3 of the Alte Scheibenwaffen series. They were used indoors and have much less power than a .22.

Most Aydt rifles are chambered for the 8.15 x 46R cartridge and were used out doors at distances up to 300 meters. This cartridge is similar to the American .32-40.

Hope this helps,

Steve Durren

Steven Durren
Professional member, ACGG

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 10:32am
Print Post  
To add, slightly, to Steve's excellent comments, "Zimmer" is room and "Stutzen" is rifle. Hence, "Room Rifle" or if you prefer, "Parlour Rifle".

Dale53

IP Logged

Cknerr
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info!

I guess I need to buy a clunker or one in very bad shape to get some dimensions off of. I can make the missing parts, or rather if I want to use it, I better get my shop going again. 

There is an antique firearm show this coming weekend here in in Atlanta. Maybe I will get lucky and find one I can copy, then I will have 2? jeez, that's how I got started with muzzle stuffers. Guess I better get another gun safe.

I also will ordered the DeHaas books. Track of the Wolf or, it seems like a family member is carrying on? There is a Mark DeHaas with a website selling that book and many more. Folks seem to mention it  a lot, so I think I better get with the program.

Thanks again for the help,
Chris

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint