Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Pedersoli Trapdoor target rifle (Read 21445 times)
klw
Ex Member

Re: Pedersoli Trapdoor target rifle
Reply #15 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
I'm going to the Shot Show in Las Vegas next month.  What should I be looking for when I examine this rifle?  What should I ask the Pedersoli people when I talk to them?

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
I no longer have my H&R so I am going from memory here. If I remember right, with the breech block open you can see the set screw that holds the breechblock cam in the correct position. Originals did NOT have that screw. If (or when) the set screw comes loose, the cam will rotate on the cam shaft and get out of the correct positioin. When that happens, it compromises the lockup of the breech and when you fire a round it will open up and "auto eject" the empty brass. If I remember right, the cam and the shaft were one piece on the originals. . 
Someone jump in and correct me if I am mistaken, please.  You might want to go to the Trapdoor collectors page and ask around on the forum there if anyone has any info. I hope this helps. Joe S

IP Logged

screwloose
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 8:25am
Print Post  
Joe 
You are correct. I have the H%R and an original 1873 in front of me. It seems if the set screw were loose you wouldn't be able to unlatch the gun. If I decide to shoot this gun a lot I will fix the latch to where it won't loose its alignment. I am more concerned for the next owner. I may see if an original bolt assy will fit while there is still an abundance of good parts available. I replaced the tang sight with one that will stay where you leave it and realy like the rifle. When the operator does his part it will consistantly put everything in the center of the target. Would like to find a pistol grip or a drawing of one though. 
I want to thank everyone on this board for their help
Tom

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 8:39am
Print Post  
When I was building my trapdoor I had several original parts guns and quite a few H&R parts to work with. As a rule, the H&R parts did NOT interchange with the originals. FYI Joe S

IP Logged

cam0063
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 9:17am
Print Post  
KLW,

You should post this question on the Pedersoli Target rifle and issues on the opening breech at the MSN BPCR forum bpcr@groups.msn.com . A few guys there may help and Dick Trenk who posts is the Pedersoli man in the USA... I would like to build a LR target rifle on a trapdoor someday, but it would have to be on a repro as the originals are rare as hens teeth here!
Good luck.

cheers,
Cam...

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Hi Cam, where are you located?   Originals, like everything else, are going up in price but there are lots of parts and parts guns around.  It may take a while to find what you need, but I would strongly suggest using original parts. Joe S

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
An ASSRA member in York Pa has a very good supply of parts. I have bought from him at the Baltimore show before. I think his name is Kinsley. Someone on the board may have his full address

I would not invest in a rifle built from import parts. Too many far better compenents around

Boats

IP Logged

cam0063
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Hi joe,

Yes, original gun would be the ideal option. I have been collecting and shooting here in Australia for 25 years or so and never seen a Trapdoor Springfield parts gun. I think I have only ever seen 2, maybe 3 complete rifles... Whats common for you guys is often rare here. Particulalrly as the Trapdoor wasn`t military issue here. On the other hand there are many, many, many Martinis'. I am a long way off building a Trapdoor target rifle. With a couple of projects on the go, which are taking an eternity to finish, I won`t tackle another in the short term... My money tree is wilting a little too Wink

cheers,

Cam..

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Hi Cam, too bad about the shortage of trapdoors by you. Its one of my favorite rifles, very under-rated and under appreciated as a shooter, due in part to a lot of bad information spewed out by many of the popular gun rags over the years.  At any rate, if you can import the parts, I would give it a try. As was stated above, there are several dealers in trapdoor parts who can provide everything you need. If that doesn work, look at the bright side, My most accurate rifle is the BSA MkII, I wish we had more of them around, and I dont see any reason why a Martini cant be the basis for a great rifle. Cheers! Joe S

IP Logged

cam0063
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 4:10am
Print Post  
Hi Joe,

Importation is very difficult, but where there is a will there is a way... Yes the Martinis are good. I had an original .577-450 sprorting rifle and still have a cadet actioned k hornet. I have noticed reference over the years to the .45-90 chambered trapdoor. Has it been a popular target rifle in this chambering?

Cam...

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #25 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Cam, My experience with the   45-70 has been almost exclusively with smokeless powder. I just started shooting  black powder last year. For long range black powder shooting, velocity is critical to maintain bullet stability at long ranges (600yds +)  .  Therefore, the ability to cram more powder into the case is important, giving rise to the popularity of the longer cases . If you intend to shoot long range matches with black powder, a longer cartridge might be a good idea. 40-70 and some of the bottlenecks are popular too ,I believe. I suggest you check with someone who knows more about the black powder game than I do. However, if short range or smokeless powder will be your primary focus, then there's nothing wrong with the good old 45-70.  Joe S

IP Logged

cam0063
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Hi Joe,
The .45-70 is a great cartridge. Out of curiosity, I just wondered how successfull the .45-90 was in the Trapdoor on the target range. [I came across a reference to a fellow who had built a .40-70 on a Trapdoor sometime back too?] I am a long way off tackling a Trapdoor project myself, tho I have seen pictures of some nice Trapdoor target rifles - original and modern, which are very enticing. At present I am building a .40-82 and a .45-110 about to begin asap. This has my Gunsmiths resources stretched, my pocket too... However once completed I should have Long range Varmints and Plough discs covered Wink

Cam...

IP Logged

klw
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 11:18am
Print Post  
My question to Val Forgett followed by his answer today:

>There has been something of a discussion on (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
>bin/yabb/yabb.pl, the american singls shot rifle association, about exactly how 
>the current pedersoli trapdoor works.
>
>Early guns, and I had one of the rifles, would pop open and spit the fired case 
>out sometimes with considerable force.  I asked if this was still happening.   
>The answer seems to be yes that it is a design flaw.  There is, of course, a 
>better explaination at the web site.
>
>Essentially the arguement is:"
>
>the problem was that force had little or nothing to do with it-the locking cam 
>was retained on the camshaft by a SETSCREW-the originals were one-piece with 
>the shaft for safety-on the H & R's the setscrew would get loose and the cause 
>the breech to open when fired, sometimes. A very bad arrangment-i'm amazed no 
>one was hurt firing them. Buy an original, don't brother with a copy.  "
>
>Know if this is still true?
>
>Also on the long range target version of this rifle Pedersoli has a rear peep 
>sight but placed where there is no metal.  Must attach right into the wood 
>somehow.  Wouldn't this arrangement looses up if the gun was fired much?

Ken:

The H&R guns are far different guns than the Pedersoli one's.  I remember when Dad purchased H&R and he wanted to ship the tooling to Pedersoli.  Pierangelo looked at the H&R gun and told my Dad that the design was inferior and they agreed to make new tooling.   

So, in short, one cannot compare an H&R gun to a Pedersoli Navy Arms gun.

On the rear sight, you are correct, it is attached to the stock.  I would agree that putting a sight on wood will change its point of impact with the expansion/contraction of the wood.  However, I also do noth think a Trapdoor was ever designed for long-range shooting.

If people in SASS are looking for a gun to shoot other than a Sharps or Rolling Block, we are selling original Snyders from IMA's Nepal guns.  Ten-X is building the ammo and they spoke with me yesterday to tell me the gun is far, far more accurate than they expected.  (i.e. 5 shots in a 3" circle at 100 yards...)

I hope this helps!

Val

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint