Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Pedersoli Trapdoor target rifle (Read 21449 times)
klw
Ex Member

Pedersoli Trapdoor target rifle
Jan 15th, 2006 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
S.906  Springfield Trapdoor Long Range Rifle

Anybody shot one of these a lot?  If so, what do you think of it?

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Pedersoli Trapdoor target rifle
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Never seen one, think they are on the web-site. ?

A long time ago I had a mind to build a long range rifle on a Trapdoor action.  I even reserched the Arsenal target rifles that were campaigned in the late 19th Century. I have owned several Issue Trapdoors, one that shoots pretty good.  But droped the project when I started shooting Schuetzen

Clearly there would be some compramises to a long range gun on that action/lock but they were fairly competitive in there day.

The origionals as I recall had Sharps sights, Bull barrels, (Bull was one of Springfield Arsenals Armorers) and were stocked with I think a Lee Magazine rifle stock. In any event it had a shotgun butt plate and straight comb.  They were also 45/90's

Except for the problems with cleaning from the muzzle I would think they would be as competitive as a Sharps.  Long and heavy hammer fall would be the limiting factor. 

Let me know if they are on a web-site 

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Found it.

It's not realy a long range rifle more a copy of one of the conversions of issue rifles for target shooting. Thats what my favorate Trapdoor is, There are some limitations.

The Pedersoli is 45/70, has the wooden pistol grip added ,as well as a tang sight. The Stock looks issue in shape.

My # 1  and favorate Trapdoor has an Arsenal Cast steel pistol grip which helps offhand.  It's a 45/70 at while I have shot it at long range it does run out of gas at 1000 yards. It's been a long time since I shot it over the course with a 1000 yard leg but I won no prizes at long distance. 45/90 is the way to go. The big problem with a Trapdoor long range is the stock shape, all but impossable to shoot well prone.  Mine was fine offhand and sitting but 600 & 1000 it was not competitive.

I don't know how they attach the tang sight. If it's screwed to the wood like the H&R repro officers models were it's a poor set up. I had one of those and it would not hold zero.  The Arsenal long range guns had longer tangs to mount the sight. Actualy the Buffington sight on a issue rifle is not too bad as a target sight. You can make them perfectly repeatable and they have a good windage adjustment.

A true long range Trapdoor would probably not cost much to put together. There are a lot of cut up rifles around that could be converted. Stock would be the major issue but there are inletted blanks around for those rifles and if you cut one with a flat buttplate and higher comb it could work well.

I don't know what the Italian imports cost but a friend of mine just sold a real nice Trapdoor for 600 dollars. He had it priced higher but let it go at a show when he thought he had it too long.  Between 600-800 should bring a nice shootable gun.

That's all I know about it

Boats

IP Logged

klw
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Ah thread drift.

But has anyone got experience with this particular Pedersoli rifle?  Looks tempting particularly if, like me, you are such a bad shot that major flaws in the idea would never be noticed.

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
I have no experience with the Pedersolit trapdoor. However, I did own one of the H&R Officer's models.  It was a great rifle, good looking and very accurate. However, they took some shortcuts when they copied the breechblock lever, and the locking cam would come out of alignment and the action would open up and "auto eject" when you fired it.  I have been told that when Pedersoli took over the production, they basically built them the same way H&R did.  I cant say so for sure, but I would check it out before buying one. 

I  had a trapdoor sporter  built a few years ago, had the gunsmith extend the tang for mounting a tang sight, and I put the pewter nosecap on.  Very good and servicable cut down rifles are plentiful and cheap. I bought one about two years ago at a gun show for under $200.  I built my trapdoor for less that what it would cost to buy a Pedersoli. If you are patient and hit some good gunshows you can get  a cut down or otherwise altered rifle pretty reasonably and you will have all the original parts you need. As much as I liked the H& R trapdoor, I would choose original parts over a replica any day .  I have fired thousands of rounds through my trapdoors and never broke any part or had any problems with the original rifles. They were very well made, parts will generally interchange ( with some exceptions such as making sure you put a three notch tumbler with at three notch sear,and there are some variations in action width) . At any rate, If you make your own stock you can overcome the shortcommings of the original wood and have a great rifle. Keep us posted on your progress. Joe s

IP Logged

klw
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
I had a Pedersoli Trapdoor, the carbine I think, when theyfirst came out and it certainly auto ejected the fired cases.  Threw one so far I never found it.  But I thought that this problem had been fixed years ago.  At least I hope so.  I'll have to ask at the next shot show.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Sorry Klw

I thought you wanted an opinion on how such a rifle will shoot.

Buy a import if thats what you want

Boats

IP Logged

klw
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Didn't mean to offend.

Just curious about experience with this particular model.

IP Logged

screwloose
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 9:51am
Print Post  
I have an H&R Officers model and two friends with them and we have experienced no problems. The three rifles are very acurate for what they are, Will shoot under 2" AT 100YDS. i WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH SOME ONE ON MY NICKLE THAT HAS HAD ONE COME OPEN. I think it would take a tremendous amount of force to get the latch past the hammer with out a lot of damage. 
Thanks for any input
Tom

IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 10:40am
Print Post  
the problem was that force had little or nothing to do with it-the locking cam was retained on the camshaft by a SETSCREW-the originals were one-piece with the shaft for safety-on the H & R's the setscrew would get loose and the cause the breech to open when fired, sometimes. A very bad arrangment-i'm amazed no one was hurt firing them. Buy an original, don't brother with a copy.

IP Logged

klw
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Screwloose I had it happen if you want to talk about it.

Think that this problem has been fixed on later Pedersolis?

IP Logged

klw
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Do we know if this cam problem exists on newly made Pedersoli Trapdoor rifles?

IP Logged

screwloose
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
So is the solution to make sure the bolt is latched before pulling the trigger?
Tom

IP Logged

klw
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
No!

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
I was told that Pedersoli did it the same way H&R did, but I have not confirmed it. If you can find a parts schematic online someplace, that might tell you something. Otherwise, you will have to either call or write Pedersoli, or one or their distributors, or personally examine one of the rifles. If you are willing to travel to Milwaukee for the NRA convention in May, you might be able to talk to a factory rep or examine a rifle there. Joe S

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint