Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) opinions on .22 reproduction BPCR style firearms (Read 18125 times)
Dale53
Oldtimer

Re: opinions on .22 reproduction BPCR style firear
Reply #15 - Dec 20th, 2005 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Greg;
That is a good looking rifle in the "white". it's gonna be REALLY nice when finished. 

Congratulations!

Dale53

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Dec 21st, 2005 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Dale, all the original 22rf walls I've seen have had the little scalloped cutout in the block for seating the cartridge, both high and low walls. Have seen a few converted ones with the straight block, but only a few. Also all original 22 rf walls I've ever owned in the Long and Long rifle chamberings have had the shorter match-type chamber requiring a little help with seating. This is a fairly small sample so it's possible that others have had the longer chamber, I've just never seen it in an original rifle. It's easy to add this beveled cutout to just about any single shot falling block if wanted.

BTW the Bentz chamber reamer will solve all those problems & still remain quite accurate, it was developed for accuracy in rifles with no camming action such as the Ruger automatics. I've used it with great success in my 1890 Win pumps as well as several 10/22s I built for my nephews. Would be happy to lend it to you or your chosen smith if you decide to try it some day.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Dec 21st, 2005 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Joe;
I have access to both a Clymer match reamer and a Bentz (auto) match reamer.

You are absolutely correct that the original .22 low-walls had the beveled block. I have seen a number of centerfire to rimfire conversions and of course they do NOt have the beveled block (as you stated).

I mentioned the difference as we don't know the condition and source of the reader's low-walls.

Actually, the BSA Martini Int'l's use the beveled block so that they can and do use conventional match chambers.

From my rather wide experience with .22 rimfire match rifles, there is quite a number of different "match" chamber configurations and most of them seem to work quite well. However, my personal choice, when possible, is the Clymer Match Chamber since I have had such good results in a variety of rifles when using that particular configuration.

Thanks for your most generous offer.

Dale53

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Dec 21st, 2005 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Joe;
I have access to both a Clymer match reamer and a Bentz (auto) match reamer.

You are absolutely correct that the original .22 low-walls had the beveled block. I have seen a number of centerfire to rimfire conversions and of course they do NOt have the beveled block (as you stated).

I mentioned the difference as we don't know the condition and source of the reader's low-walls.

Actually, the BSA Martini Int'l's use the beveled block so that they can and do use conventional match chambers.

From my rather wide experience with .22 rimfire match rifles, there is quite a number of different "match" chamber configurations and most of them seem to work quite well. However, my personal choice, when possible, is the Clymer Match Chamber since I have had such good results in a variety of rifles when using that particular configuration.

Thanks for your most generous offer.

Dale53

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #19 - Dec 21st, 2005 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
Greg, Where'd you get that lever for your Stevens 44? Mine has the original S lever, and I'd sure like to get a lever like your's for my 44!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

First_Shirt
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Dec 22nd, 2005 at 7:51am
Print Post  
Vall,

That's a CPA lever casting.  The only difference I can see in the levers for the 44 and 44 1/2 is the size of the pin/screw holes.

Greg

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #21 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
thanks Greg! i've got a Pope style I was thinking of adpating to mine, but I sure like the look of your's better!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint