Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The new Remington rolling block (Read 12837 times)
Quisto56
Ex Member

The new Remington rolling block
Oct 19th, 2005 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Is remington making the actions for their rolling block or are they using the imported actions  and are the new remington rolling block custom shop rolling blocks  superior to say a lone star or perersoli 

Quisto56

IP Logged

dnovo1
Ex Member

Re: The new Remington rolling block
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
The man I spoke to at Remington claimed they were made in the USA.  The two I have seen may bear that out, and for the price, no self respecting Pedersoli dealer would sell them.

The fit and finish were sub-par, particularly the way the wood and metal came together.  I have both 'real' (i.e vintage Remington Rolling Blocks from the 1880s, including an original No. 7) and what I consider the top end of current reproduction, a pair of the Ballard LLC made Rolling Blocks and one built by Lone Star.  I have owned several Pedersoli built Rolling Blocks and these were quite a bit better.  I just acquired one of the new Pedersoli Creedmoor Deluxe Rolling Blocks in 45-70, excellent wood, nicely engraved and 'coin finished (I believe they list it as L. 870) and the price was the same as the 'plain Jane' Remington.  Shoots as nice as it looks.   

The current Remington product, IMHO, is an insult to the company name, especially as it is supposed to come from their 'custom shop.'  They should have taken a leaf from the Browning book when they reintroduced a serious 1885 Long Range Creedmoor in 45-90 about ten years ago.  Built in Japan, but with Badger barrels, great wood, and one hell of a shooter.  Still hold their value.  I can't say the same for the new Remington product.  Dave

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 9:31am
Print Post  
From the experences of friends I wouldn,t trust the Remingtom custom shop to hold my gun much less work on it. 
Theim motto seems to be We'll do anything as long as it's offered in the stock catalog and it dosn't require me to actualy touch a machine. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

38-55

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 9:54am
Print Post  
The one Remington roller in BPCR that I was able to handle, has a question on suitability, due to the stock.  It shot ok and it functioned well, as a firearm of that price range should.  The stock had so much drop that you could not maintain head position on the long range targets.  They could have done better.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 11:31am
Print Post  
I hadn't plannned on entering this discussion as my experience with new vs old Remington rollers is somewhat limited, BUUTT...

When the folks with the green boxes brought their newly released roller to a NRA meeting and show for one of its first public showings, I was understandably excited.  As I saw the rifle from afar, I was pleased, so I picked it up and looked at it.  The "showpiece" they brought to stir up interest looked to me like it was assembled first thing Monday morning or last thing Friday afternoon by an hourly worker.    Undecided  Fit was awful (wood to metal, metal to metal, etc.) and finish was not up to the standards of many cheap imports.  Attention to detail that makes a custom rifle (or one "from the custom shop") worth the extra money was notably absent.   ???

If they had put one less zero before the decimal in the price, then the result would have been appropriate.  I quickly but sadly handed the rifle back with no further comment.  If I were buying a new roller, it would probably be one of the new John Bodine models from one of the importers, not a high priced trademark with no rifle to back it up.  JMHO & YMMV!  Shocked

Froggie

IP Logged

Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
I've handles the so-called new Remington Rolling Blocks @ the SHOT Shows. See Green Frog's commenst, which echo my impression.
I also have a Lone Star, .45-2.1".

Save your $$ & buy a Lone Star.

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

dnovo1
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
The Lone Star is an excellent product.  The only drawback is lead time:  Like most small companies with good products, Dave is six months to a year out on some rifles.  The only other builder other than Pedersoli (who delivers from stock as a large Italian company  importing under various names in the US) is Ballard LLC.  They are no longer building Rolling Blocks as they were not able to secure the parts they needed to meet their standards, and are back logged with the Ballards and the 1885 Winchesters they have on order.

I did see a Lone Star in like new condition at Wildwood guns ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links); You may want to see if it was still there.  Dave

IP Logged

bluesteel45
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
i guess there's a reason for the lengthy leadtime......they're not mass produced and they're in high demand. i'm personally a fan of save your scheckles and buy the lone star. they're fine pieces of american craftmanship and they won't leaving you asking yourself if you should have done it. the pedersolies are definately better than the remingtons, just not quite in higginbottom's league.....blue

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 2:41am
Print Post  
Hi there,
Well I've got one of those new Remington No. 1s. It came my way at a very good price....couldn't really pass it up. One of the heavy rd barrel sporters complete with the target front & rear sights. I wish they'd gone with a 32" barrel. Yes the wood to metal fit was poor and as for the finish (metal & wood)...high gloss is an understatement. It does shoot very nicely though. First off I stripped off that plastic finish and lost the plastic buttplate (custom shop special??). Made up a new metal buttplate from a period Rem shotgun plate that I had been saving. Came up well. Next I remodelled the forearm and cut in some flares at the rear. Then I tried to improve that wood to metal fit. Big gaps (1/16") had to be filled between the stock & rear of the action & tangs. Next  I stained the light walnut stock until it was nice & dark using an original Rem No. 1 (.44/77) for comparison. Then the oil finish. It even looks half decent now even with that high gloss blue job (it's slowly growing on me).

The thing that I just can't live with (or forgive the Rem people for doing) is that Stamping on the side of the action. Why they just didn't go with the good ol' patent lines on the top of the upper tang, I'll never know. That ugly stamping will be welded over and reblued. That's next on to do list.
What I can report is that the action is closer to the original  than the Pedersoli. The single set trigger (once adjusted) breaks well and the mid-range sights (again rough in places) are good. As I said it shoots well but I've still got a long way to go in developing a good target load. At this stage it likes the old version of the Lyman Postell rather than the new one!
The Rem is now a "custom job" but only after a lot of time & effort.
Spud

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
I used to love Remington products back in the '60s but they've been going steadily downhill ever since. I personally would not own ANY Remington product made in the last 30 years including their much-vaunted shotguns. Those people are sure NOT gun people and their stuff looks like something Matty Mattell produced. Never thought I'd hafta say it but it's true, nothing but cheap-looking junk IMO.
Too bad, Joe

IP Logged

dnovo1
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
While I agree that the new Rolling Block from Remington is a disgrace, I can't say that all they build fits into that same trashcan.  The 40X is still an outstanding product.  My son bought me a new XR100 single shot in 204 Ruger to hit targets way out there with zero recoil (love to watch those little buggers hit the paper in the scope.)  Again, a great product at a very nice price.  Dave

IP Logged

bluesteel45
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
i'm afraid i have to agree with joe on the remington issue. aside from the 40x, remington has been "dumbing" itself down for the last 30 years. the unfortunate side to that is they force the hand of the other gun companys to somewhat follow suit because 'joe average ' sportsman is financially driven, and alot do not really care if it's machined or stamped.[remember winchester anno 1963/1964?]. do they fire safely and usually reasonably accurately...sure. but i get the impression that remington's more into making money than quality firearms. that godawful plastic sleeve on the 710 bolt hit an alltime low with me. we usually refer to remington in my machine shop as the "R" word. what a shame for a once great firearm company....who knows, maybe they will once again see the light.....blue Cry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint