Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Maynard Cartridges..... (Read 3999 times)
Nailman

Maynard Cartridges.....
Oct 30th, 2005 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
Anybody know any information about the Maynard Cartridges in .35 cal. I guess there was a 35-30 & 35-40 & 35-55. Anybody shoot these today? THANX....Nailman...

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Maynard Cartridges.....
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 10:52am
Print Post  
First, are you talking about shooting a .35-something Maynard, or some other rifle chambered in one of these calibers?  If the latter, just use .357 Max cases loaded to suit you and keep on shooting, but if you are becoming a true believer, read on.

John Bly of Stephens City, VA (mentioned in my Maynard article in the last SSRJ) makes replacement Maynard barrels in this caliber, at least this bore size...we haven't spoken on the different chamberings available yet as I'm still in the early planning stages of that phase of my Maynard Madness Project. He sometimes lurks on this board and has sent a contribution or two to the Journal himself, so maybe we can get him to chime in here.  FWIW, he can also provide nicely made brass adapter rings to convert modern cases to the thick head style needed for the 1873 Maynard.  8)

I've prattled on enough about this for the public portion of this thread, but if you or anyone else would like to pursue it further, especially loading data, etc, please feel free to drop me a PM through this website and I will gladly reply at greater length.  Smiley

As I stated on the "Rook Rifle" thread, I think this could make a Jim Dandy woods walking rifle.   Wink

Froggie

IP Logged

Nailman

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 11:12am
Print Post  
I'm building a new off-hand rifle and it will be a .35 something. Just don't want to reinvent the wheel. Thinking of the one that Ole Bass made and shot very well. The 35 American but think the 35-40 Maynard might also work very well. THANKS, Nailman....

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Nailman, if it were me in the scenario you describe, I would find the fastest twist .357 bbl I could get, chamber it with a .357 MAX reamer, and keep on trucking!  There are a lot of bullets available off the shelf, not to mention the custom stuff, for this bore diameter.  I would try to get a bullet weighing around 200 +/- 15gr.  JMHO, but that's about where I am hoping to go with my "thick rim" Maynard I am planning.

HTH, Froggie

IP Logged

First_Shirt
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Brownell's has a Douglas 1:10" twist .357 pistol blank, 1.2" in diameter, that will finish up at 26" or just a bit longer.  A friend had one installed on a Browning 1885 action, chambered in .35-40 Maynard, and is reporting excellent results.  Seems the price for the blank is pretty reasonable, too.  Might be an option there!

Greg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint