Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hi Wall Functionality for Hunting (Read 4649 times)
Tentman
Ex Member

Hi Wall Functionality for Hunting
Sep 26th, 2005 at 4:37am
Print Post  
Hello Guys

I just got a Ruger action that I was going to build a "real hunting rifle" on - but for a variety of reasons I'm disappointed in the design.

Hi Walls are not common in these parts so I have ever only handled one, many years ago, but I can get a new italian replica on order.   

I know the 1885 was designed "ground up" as a hunting rifle by a great man who knew hunting - But one hears stories about how they are not the easiest to feed second shots into due to the deep sidewalls (and why did "they" make a Lo wall that was easier to feed !!).

So how does the Hi Wall compare with other actions in terms of clearing the old case and feeding a new round ?? Say compared with a Ruger etc.  Is it a function of dexterity or weather eg wearing gloves??  I have Martinis and they are not in this, it has to be scoped and they are not the best with a scope over the action.

Thoughts and ideas invited !!

Cheers - Foster

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Re: Hi Wall Functionality for Hunting
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Tentman;
The Winchester High Wall is not a problem while hunting. That presupposes that you will be working with "full sized" cartridges (30-30 or bigger). The low-wall came into being for small cartridges (pistol length or .22 rimfire). The High-Wall is a pain for small cartridges but there is NO problem with full sized ones. 

Regardless of the action you will be using, serious range time, shooting rapid fire with the single shot will increase your chances of a "quick" second shot. However, to be frank, my personal emphasis for hunting purposes is/was to make the first shot count Grin.

Many, many people have found the Ruger to be an excellent rifle for hunting purposes. It is plenty strong, is chambered for many cartridges (including rimless) and is relatively affordable. It will need a trigger job and a re-bedding of the forend (see Frank DeHaas' books for specific directions) to make it "first class". I would not hesitate to take a good Ruger to the field (I have several of them).

Dale53

IP Logged

SCHUETZEN
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
I have to agree with Dale on the Ruger! A little forearm and trigger work and you have a first class Single Shot Hunting Rifle!

I had a #1 in 6mm Rem. that I used to hunt in Colorado with I loved that Rifle for Hunting purposes!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2005 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
I own and hunt with both rifles. A Ruger #1 Centennial in .45-70, and a Hi Wall. Both great hunting rifles, but the one major advantage of the Ruger is the auto ejection. I tend to stick to the "one shot" theory, but it's nice to have that empty thrown clear when I open the Ruger's action.
On the other hand, the only Hi Wall I had trouble with ejection, or loading was my .22 Long R. Hi Wall.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2005 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
There are high-walls, and there's everything else!  Grin

I am admitttedly VERY biased in this respect, but I don't know anything that any single shot rifle will do in the hunting fields (other than handle rimless cartridges) that Browning's old design won't do just as well or a little bit better.

This said, I have a Ruger #1 offhand rifle, a Ballard Pacific and a Maynard #9, but if I had to give up all my rifles but one, the last to go would be a 'wall.  Call me an extremist, and maybe I am, but it works for me (YMMV.)

Dale hit it on the head when he mentioned that the only reason for the low-wall was to ease placement of small (read, "pistol length") cartridges into and extraction of them out of the chamber; and if you want to go with a small cartridge, by all means use a low-wall.  For truly rifle class cartridges up to and including the big .50s, the high-wall will get the job done for you with no fuss and no bother.  If you go with the modern-built high-walls, you can even get rimless case extraction and although they lack the soul of the originals, these new high-wall adaptations are really shining on the BPCS front, which was designed after all to simulate hunting.

All for now, HTH,  the Green Frog

IP Logged

First_Shirt
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Tentman,

If you like the looks of the highwall action, I'd suggest a modern Browning 1885 as a suitable donor action for your hunting rifle.  It is made of modern steel and designed to handle virtually any cartridge out there, rimmed or rimless, has a very effective ejector system to clear the empties from the action, and with just a bit of work an excellent trigger.  Also, since its a modern action, there's no guilt involved in breaking up an original for customization.

As far as fast reloading scoped single shooters, that's just something that you're going to have to practice, a lot, and will probably always be a fraction of a second (or more) slower than racking the bolt on a repeater.   Actually, the Ruger No 1 you're disappointed with has the right side-wall lowered by design, to allow easier reloading.  Add gloves to the mix with ANY single shot, however, and things tend to get real tough.

Greg

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
I'll echo what Greg said. The swiftness of reloading is pretty much a moot point with any single shot, especially in cold weather.

I restocked my first Ruger No 1 back in 1967, and admire the looks and functionality of them. However, the ejector can sometimes be counterproductive because of the noise. John Taylor in his seminal work African Rifles and Cartridges mentions that a nearby animal is frequently unable to determine the direction of the first shot because of the startlement, and a second shot can often be obtained if reloading can be done silently so as not to spook the game. Other earlier outdoor writers have commented similarly. Taylor specifically cautioned against ejector rifles because of this. Of course the Ruger ejector can easily be disabled, turning it into a silent extractor instead.

One of my original high walls has been converted to rimless extraction in 223 Rem, and works reasonably well, but I would recommend against this alteration for hunting because IME it's not 100% reliable on an original 1st generation rifle. All my original CF walls will throw a rimmed case clear of the action if the lever is operated in a reasonably smart manner, and I see absolutely no problem with their extraction and 'ejection' in the field. Just open the lever firmly and the extractor will fling the case clear with no problems. The Ruger OTOH will sometimes leave a fired case in the loading trough because it hit the protruding end of the safety button and bounced back.

So each action has its faults and advantages, you pays your money and you takes your choice as the madam said to the Bishop. To me the Rugers are more attractive and more versatile in an abstract objective sort of way, but they still don't trip my trigger like a wall. Out of the score or so single shot rifles in my rack, there are now 8 walls and no Rugers. Go figure.
Good luck whatever your choice, Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint