Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) .22 rimfire?? (Read 7987 times)
plumloco

.22 rimfire??
Aug 24th, 2005 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Hello all,
   I'm thinking about having a .22 rimfire  rifle made. SS of course! What are the preferred actions? I'm kind of leaning toward a Ballard or Hiwall/Low wall. Also what about barrels?
Thanks  Jesse

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Re: .22 rimfire??
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2005 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Lilja bbls win more 22LR matches than just about anybody. Not saying that somone else doesn't make bbls that are just as accurate, but I AM saying that no one else's bbls win more matches. I personally can't afford 'em so I use Green Mountain for the most part.

I personally believe the Ballard is the best-suited for a pure-accuracy rifle with set triggers. The Martini is probably the most accurate action for the 22RF but is not commonly available with set triggers. Of course you could luck up on one of those European Martinis with a nice 4-lever jobbie, but that's problematical at best.

I use 1st-gen Winchester low walls for most of my single shot RF shooting and I like 'em a lot because of the kicking ejector. I don't think the new Browning RF low walls have a kicking ejector. Another good choice IMO would be a Martini Cadet or International or similar, available pretty cheap right now. The Martini is definitely the most accuracy for the money, DEFINITELY!
Yours for more RF shooting, Joe

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2005 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Jesse,

Either one of your choices would be good, and I have a few of each.

But, for plain out & out accuracy in the SS game you'll find the BSA Intl.'s in any of the MK series hard to beat. Plus they can be bought, and equipped, for both bench and offhand, for a 1/3rd the cost of making up, or buying a suitable Ballard, High Wall, or Stevens. The guys in our club who do nothing but shoot the .22 prefer them.

Of course if your heart is set on making up a .22 on a traditional action I sure don't want to stand in your way, being a traditionalist myself.

As Joe mentions the Low Wall action originally set up for .22 will have the kicking extractor, but will work nicely without it. Also if you can find a High Wall that was originally set up for .22 it will have the kicking extractor.

I'd stay away for the High Wall. Not because it's unsuitable but more because the "tunnel" makes getting the empty case out if it doesn't have the kicking extractor.

Many people like the Ballard, but they don't have the kicking extractor and you want to be careful to get an action that's set up for the "rod" style extractor. The older style is nothing but a pain. Just about all of those will be worn to the point that, with the lever at full extension, the extractor will ride back over the case rim, and if your not careful putting the next shell it will go past the extractor and you won't be able to close the action. I'm told this can be fixed but it will add to the final cost.

One problem that never seems to be addressed with actions that don't have a kicking extractor is how do you get the empty case out when you have a Unertl type scope mounted on the gun? Big fingers and a small work area can be kinda frustrating! The best way I've found is to get one of those little alligator clips. Works pretty slick.

PETE

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2005 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
plumloco, my personal favorite rimfire is a low-wall musket receiver that has been rebarreled (Shilen) and restocked to "Special Sporter" configuration (pistolgrip, Swiss buttplate) using a blank turned by CPA.  The sighting is done with a Lyman TS Jr 8X with dot or using a Lyman #103 Tang sight with a Winchester Globe from an early M52.  I've been shooting it unfinished for almost a decade and I still hope to get some blue and varnish on the appropriate parts some day!  Roll Eyes

I am in the process of building a Ballard in .22RF and it will actually come out VERY similar in most ways to the low-wall, but is an excuse to have another rifle...since I already have a high-wall .22 plain sporter and .22 musket (second model.)  Cheesy

For once I must disagree with my dear friend JDS on one point he made.  For a rimfire 'wall, I like the coil spring action because it seems just a wee bit faster and they seem to never break, unlike the flat springs which I have had to replace on a couple of heavily used rifles.  The flat spring variant DOES seem easier to work on and tune, but once you have the coil spring action right, refer to my comments above!  Grin 

As with all things single shot, this becomes a matter of personal opinion, and of course YMMV!   8)  You pays your money and you takes your chances, but it's all good.

Regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2005 at 2:58am
Print Post  
I'm with JD on this one, best QPR is in the BSA int'ls - absolute accuracy at a quite decent price, no need to change the barrel.  Those BSA barrels are GOOD!  If you can do without the set trigger, BSA small actions are available relatively cheaply, and are an excellent basis for building a decent .22.  Then of course, BSA already did those as in 12/15's, 15's etc. - and those also shoot verywell, have quite decent sights and are available for a very reasonable price...
Of course, I'm prejudiced - the recent count identified 20 of the breed in the gun safe.  And yes, they do breed like rabbits too!

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2005 at 10:22am
Print Post  
I am also a BSA Int'l fan. Of course, I am a piker when it comes to ownership (compared to others here). I ONLY have a Mark II, a Mark IV, and a Mark V. Each of them shoots good enough to win any match where they are used ( their owner, however,  often comes up short Grin). My choice of bench rifle is the Mark V, as issued. The triggers on the later Int'ls can be easily adjusted to 8 ounces. That makes for a VERY quick lock time, hardly any other is in the ball park.

My favorite offhand rifle is the Frogmoor Ballard with double set triggers (I had this rifle built from scratch so I HAVE to say this Roll Eyes).

Dale53

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
O Great & Glorious Green One,
I won't argue the point about breakage, although I personally have never had one break. I've seen the stress concentration/wear marks on the flat mainsprings at the point where the spring base ends, and I know this means a weak point. That's why I've always inserted a small leather pad between the mainspring and its base, so that there's no metal-to-metal contact at the end of the little spring base. And as I say, in over 35 years of shooting walls I've never had a mainspring break. I've used leather simply because that's what I had; rubber or similar resilient material would work just as well. BTW I've done the same with my Colt SAs & haven't broken a mainspring in over 40 years of regular shooting & dry-firing.

I prefer the flat spring actions because I like the ease & convenience of disassembly as well as the interchangeability convenience. For instance I can (and do) use a coil spring hammer in a flat spring action, but it's kinda tough to do the opposite! Also there's seldom a week that passes when I'm not swapping parts to experiment in one way or another, & it's a PITA to hafta keep up with the little lever detent coil spring & plunger, seems like they always make a beeline for the deepest darkest corner of the shop.

I'm not saying the flat spring actions are better in any way except in my case for my purposes, but I sure do like 'em. Most folks hardly ever disassemble their rifles or swap parts & so the coil spring actions are fine for almost everyone. And of course the time frame indicates that most original Winchester Schuetzens were probably of the coil spring persuasion, so that's an added inducement. Especially for A True Believer like you!

So, upon reflection, I've concluded it's best that you concentrate all your efforts toward the coil spring elite, the very creme de la creme as it were, of the Winchester wall spectrum. Just don't worry about all that nasty flat spring garbage in your goody box, it might contaminate the good stuff if you let it get too close. You can just send all that pesky flat spring trash down to me and I promise you won't be bothered with it ever again! Why, I might even consider paying the postage if you don't leave any greasy fingerprints for me to clean up!
Regards & coil springs forever, Joe

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
I forgot to add the (VBG) to the above, Joe

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2005 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Wow Joe, you're just too good to me!  Shocked

If I had known that you would be so generous, I probably never would have started on the flat spring action with flat (now octagon) top that will be my BPCS rifle in .45-70.  Wink

Yes, I too take apart and shuffle parts of various 'walls as you well know, and I will be the very first to agree that assembly and disassembly of the flat springs is about 2 orders of magnitude easier than the coil spring actions.  That's why I would never be satisfied with a BPC rifle with coil spring.  What I DO contend, however, is that a coil spring .22 rf rifle (like my low-wall musket that has been "customized") is one I can just shoot 'til the cows come home (that's a looong time for you yankee readers!  Wink )  Meanwhile, if I am out shooting my flat spring .45-70 or even the old original .32-40 w/ smokeless, I will probably have a spare mainspring in my kit.   Roll Eyes

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!  Froggie

PS As our illustrius left coast ancestor would say, any rifle is fine as long as it's a 'wall!  ttfn!

IP Logged

bluesteel45
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2005 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
i'm with the BSA int'l crowd on this one. shoot at a blank piece of paper , then just shoot at your bullet hole....pretty amazing stuff for not a ton of money Grin.....blue

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 11:13am
Print Post  
I also vote for the Martini International MKII or MKIII.
You cannot beat the accuracy acheived for the price you can pick one of these up for. They are extremely reliable and have the most powerful extractor you will ever find on a rimfire. 
They have very good adjustable triggers and I am able to adjust them sensitive enough not to need a set trigger.
Only downside is trying to shoot one of these prone stocks offhand. A good schuetzen stock custom bulit for your Martini makes a great practice Schuetzen rifle for those who get tired of casting bullets.

Ron Smith (aka RKS Barrels - Wimborne, Alberta) also builds fantastic gain twist cut rifle 22 rimfire barrels. He builds them to choke down about 4/10,000 from the chamber to the muzzle.
The finish on the inside of these barels is so god that they never need to be lapped.

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 9:27am
Print Post  
  I vote for the BSA MkII, I have one and its the most accurate rifle I own. I talked two friends into buying them and they are both very satisfied. Joe S

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 3:28am
Print Post  
greetings all and a mighty hidy ho to..

now i ain't got anything against ballards or martinies except they ain't walls, lo nor hi. and martinies ain't got no hammers. (that you can see anyway)

so if you want to be known far and wide as a swarshbuckler with panache, do as my ilustrioue illigitimate green grandson wanted to say, but, didn't have the nerve. GET A 'WALL' didn't mean to yell, but i wanted to make a point.

if you could find a nice winder musket somewhears, i think you would have a nice rifle that would be competitive for schutzen and it would proudly say to all "i am a winchester owned by a swarshbuckler"..

..ttfn and good luck..grampa..

PS.. don't listen to them other guys unless they say get a wall

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint