Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic lyman tang sight (Read 5632 times)
powderman
Senior Forum Member

lyman tang sight
Aug 22nd, 2005 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
I have a Lyman No. 2 tang sight with a  hole spacing in the base of 1.4" . Marked on the sight stem  PAT JAN 29/79. I was told this is a sight for a Ballard rifle but the Ballard rifles I own have a 1.1" hole spacing. Does anybody know what rifle my Lyman tang sight is made for? Thanks.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: lyman tang sight
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
powderman, somewhere I have a sight chart that was published at least twice in the old ASSRA News.  If you look on the underside of the sight base, you should find a one or two letter code marking that will tell us which rifle your sight is intended for.  If you post the code, I will dig out my chart and look it up for you, OK?

Froggie  Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
The Ballard is 1.125", as you mentioned. Colt, Savage, some Sharps, and Mossberg all used the same spacing as Marlin, and Marlin Ballards. The closest thing I know to your spacing is Stevens at 1.5" spacing. Couldn't find anythin in my material at 1.4" spacing.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
My only Stevens sight measures out at ~1.47", FWIW.
YMMV, Joe

IP Logged

powderman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2005 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
I have measured the hole spacing in the base again and it is 1.452". There is a letter stamped on the bottom of the sight base which is either a "M" or a "W" depending on how you orient the sight base. I found an article in the July-August 1990 issue of the ASSRA newsletter regarding Marble Arms Company tang sights but have not found anything about Lyman ttang sights. Thanks for your replys. Your help is greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2005 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Your sight's hole spacing appears to be for the Stevens rifles, in spite of the marking. Mis-marked Lyman tang sights are not unusual, I have a Lyman 103 marked for a Marlin but it has the Stevens hole spacing. I also have had several Lyman tang sights that had been re-marked, apparently by the Lyman factory judging by the similarity in appearance to the original marks.

I can find no listing for an 'M' marking, but the 'W' mark corresponds with the Winchester 1873 according to the list found in Nick Stroebel's Old Gunsights book. However, I have seen one 1873 Winchester that took the usual Winchester-type sight with the wider usual Winchester hole spacing. I don't own an 1873 & so can't check the spacing, it's possible that the 1873s have more than one set of holes & one could conceiveably correspond with the Stevens hole spacing. In any case it's a desirable sight up to a point, depending upon condition.
HTH, Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint