Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Heeren actions (Read 7267 times)
KWK
Senior Forum Member

Heeren actions
May 3rd, 2005 at 2:32am
Print Post  
I learned recently these are still being made by at least one company, (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) in Germany.  De Haas felt this action was a bit lacking in extraction, and I've heard Grant wrote so as well.   

Has/does any one here use a Heeren?  I wonder if extraction might be of no concern when chambered for medium pressure cartridges, such as the Krag or the 9 mm Mauser, etc.

Karl
IP Logged

jgttech
Ex Member

Re: Heeren actions
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2005 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
There is a French fellow near Grenoble who makes a modern day version of the Heeren. I had a link once but not now - I remember getting it from some single shot forum - a poster listed current manufacturers of falling block single shots. Sorry I could not be more informative.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - May 16th, 2005 at 9:43am
Print Post  
I believe that is (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) you mentioned.  His Heeren is modified, but it is still clearly a Heeren.  There was a short write up in the Gun Digest a few years back.  I just checked his web site and see he is indeed near Grenoble.

Karl
IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 11:32am
Print Post  
years ago I tried out a matched pair of cased Heerens, gorgeous rifles, by Glaser of Zurich, in .30'06 and .220 Swift.  Had to kick the levers to get them to extract.

IP Logged

jtimouri
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 1:02am
Print Post  
I just saw another French manufacturer of Heeren actions -
see (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

What is nice about the Heeren action is its compactness. It is too bad if the extraction is weak and that is inherent in the design.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 4:56am
Print Post  
Thank you much for that link to another maker of Heerens. I wonder if these companies make their own actions or if there is a single source in Europe for the unfinished actions.

There is no question the Heeren will be weaker in extraction. Look at the action's drawing, in de Haas, and you'll see there is no leverage given by the fingerlever onto the extractor.  Extraction force must be about 1/3 that of the Hi Wall.  Of course, weak extraction means rapid extraction, and the simple extractor will likely function as an ejector -- if the case doesn't stick.

I have to believe that if the pressures are low and the barrel is suitably thick, the case will never bind.  The best explantion for case stick I've seen is that the barrel expands on firing, the case deforms, and then the barrel springs back more than the deformed case. Lower pressure means less deformation in the case, and thick walls mean less spring back of the barrel.  I don't know what works in practice, though.  Apparently '06 pressures and diameters don't work in these.

The Heeren's compactness comes from placing the trigger face nearly directly under the breech face.  I wonder how ergonomic that would be.   

I'd really like to fire one of these in .30-40, or 9x57R, etc.

Karl
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint