Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ballard #2 Extractor bore dimensions? (Read 2780 times)
bohemianway
Oldtimer

Ballard #2 Extractor bore dimensions?
Jan 7th, 2005 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Gentleman,

I am going to rebarrel a #2 for the kids and am looking for the detailed dimensions (diameter, depth, relative location to bore centerline and action) of the extractor bore in the barrel.  The current barrel had been drilled for a liner by the previous owner and it had wondered of center at the breech.  It is the only #2 in .22 RF I have and the damage makes it difficult for measurement.  I have all of the original extractor parts.  At some point I will "fix" the old barrel but time and equipment limit it to fitting an old Anschutz 54 barrel.

Thank you
Charles

GTalk  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Ballard #2 Extractor bore dimensions?
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2005 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
You may want to email Ballard Rifle Co. in Cody, Wy. and see if they can assist with your question.
You might also want to get a copy of John Dutcher's book, Ballard, The Great American  Single Shot Rifle. It doesn't have detailed dimensions, but it does have some great close up views of the Ballard extractor.
The extractor on a #2 was never designed to extract a .22 RF cartridge. The Ballard #3's, which were designed to shoot a .22RF, used a completely different designed extractor system. The #3 extractor was a round rod that pushed straight back, rather then pivot on the lever screw. A #2 style extractor can be made to extract, but they generally need to be carefully loaded, so the rim of the small case doesn't get under the extractor. Not a good choice for little ones, who just shove them in and shoot! I'm sure you'll be supervising, but do you want to load each cartridge for them too? Good luck with your project! Hope this helps.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2005 at 9:25am
Print Post  
Some rudimentary information is available in Frank de Haas' book 'Single Shot Rifles & Actions' and his gunsmithing articles, which should be required reading for all of us SS rifle enthusiasts. This info will serve to get you started, but that's all. When (you'll notice I didn't say 'if') you need more info, e-mail me privately & I'll try to help. I've fit several (!!!!) RF extractors over the years & have found that the Ballard is one of the toughest to do successfully. As pointed out, the RF cartridge requires a somewhat different approach & it's fairly tedious to achieve. However, if you can file and silver solder and drill, you can do a creditable job the very first time. IMO the Ballard makes up into a very fine RF indeed, possibly the finest for some applications, but requires some special treatment. That 54 bbl should make it into a real tack driver!
Good luck & ttfn, Joe

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2005 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
I have an old #3 barrel left over from my Ballard project that I will donate to the cause.  It is somewhat the worse for wear and has been relined at least once.  It does have an original front sight.  It has the hole bored for the .22 extractor ( and some other machine work to make it work) and may be useful for your project.  It present, it is just taking up room in my shop.  Send me a PM with your address and I will ship it to you.  My gunsmith converted a centerfire action to rimfire and had the devil's own time figuring out that extractor.  We used a new one from Ballard and had to make a lot of changes to make it work in the converted action.  I wouldn't rely on DeHaas too much.  Best of luck-it will be worth it in the end.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint