Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) An Old time look at Greenhill (Read 13435 times)
PETE
Ex Member

An Old time look at Greenhill
Jan 5th, 2005 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
  I've decided to finish up translating the Warner-Lowe letters over to CD and it's kinda surprising some of the things that are showing up.

As the subject line suggests there has been a lot of discussion and cussing as to the veracity of Greenhills formula for shooting cast Lead bullets in the rifles we use in the different SS venues. Today there are many ways of figuring proper twist or bullet length for a given gun, but for many years all most of us had was Greenhill. The problem seemed to be that using the formula as written didn't always work. So, many of us started using different constants to get a reasonable result. Sometimes this worked, and sometimes not.

I've often wondered why! well, I've just come across a section in one of Lowe's Day Books giving his explanation as he saw in back in 1890. In fact, even then Greenhill wasn't thought of to well for shoulder fired weapons, and Lowe, as well as some others, did the experiments to in order to get better results.

To lead into what's below..... a Maj. J.P. Cundill & a Mr. Hudcock came up with a table which they thought would better serve the small bore community than Greenhill. A Wm. E. Carlin wrote to Lowe fleshing out this table, and then Lowe gives his opinion on things. The following is a direct translation from Lowe's Day Book so don't be to surprised at what you see.  Smiley

The really amazing part is that the last part below is what has started showing up on the various Lists/Forums in the last coupla years. One thing new to me, at least, is why would pure Lead bullets require less twist than hardened ones?

PETE

Wm E. Carlin says table calculated for bullets hardened about 1x16 lead & tin pure lead bullets would require less twist so far as calculation goes.
Prof Greenhill made his calculations so as to give about the least twist necessary in building new breech loading rifle cannon so as to save expense of too many experiments in that direction  There are two things impossible to allow for in these calculations. 1 the confussibility of the air and the affect of decrease or increase of the muzzle velocity would have on the projectile of course the higher the muzzle velocity the higher the velocity of rotation but the higher the velocity of translation the greater the resistance of the air which tends to upset and render unsteady the bullet. In some cases I have no doubt in the majority of cases a higher velocity will often steady the flight of otherwise unsteady bullet but it is not necessarily so  For an increase of velocity might cause a steady bullet to become wild i.e. take an excessive drift.

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Re: An Old time look at Greenhill
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2005 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Pete - I am not sure I understand they way they talked 100 years ago - but if I interpret that correctly he is saying better to spin the bullet to fast than to slow.  Am I correct?
thanks - rimfire

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2005 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Rimfire,

I can certainly understand your finding it hard to understand Lowe's use of the English language. Just remember that this info came out of Lowe's Day Books and as such are mostly memory joggers on things as he saw them. So as you can note periods are not something he wasted his time on, and some sentences don't seem to make a lot of sense.

With that in mind his comments on Greenhill are one of the more coherent paragraphs he put together.

What I was trying to present was that even 110 yrs. ago shooters had the same problem with Greenhill that we have today, and like today people like Lowe had figured out ways of figuring twist for a given length of bullet, or bullet length for a given twist, just as we've done today with some of the more esoteric computer programs you can log into.

As for my opinion of what Lowe was trying to get across...... I'll agree with you that spinning a bullet a little faster than actually required is better than using a twist that is borderline. But it's a little more complicated than that.

This is one of the things Lowe's experiments were about when he designed his own formula for figuring proper twists. What he wanted to end up with was a twist rate for any given bullet length that would be stable at any distance you cared to shoot at out to his test limits of 2000 yds. Also to be able to take a given bullet and determine the best twist to get the same results.

But..... it can also be said from Lowe's comments that a quick twist that is to far out of line will result in more drift than what would result from a more ideal rate.

One of the big problems with any twist formula, as Lowe mentions, is there are variables that can occur on any day that will influence what optimum twist will be. Until Lowe figured this out it about drove him crazy when he'd go out shooting and one day he'd get what he calls "splendid" results and the next day get "poor prints" and not changing a thing. what he eventually found out was that temp. and humidity were the main cause of his problems. If you've read the threads on Density Altitude you'll see that as air density increases or decreases so will your impact points.

So what Lowe, and others, had to figure out was how to be able to figure an optimum twist rate that would give good results under as many conditions as possible. Lowe seemed to think he'd figured it out, but someone with a LOT more money than I've got will have to do the grunt work to see if he was right.

PETE

IP Logged

Doug_Nelson

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2005 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Quote:
  I've decided to finish up translating the Warner-Lowe letters over to CD and it's kinda surprising some of the things that are showing up.

As the subject line suggests there has been a lot of discussion and cussing as to the veracity of Greenhills formula for shooting cast Lead bullets in the rifles we use in the different SS venues. 

snip
Quote:

One thing new to me, at least, is why would pure Lead bullets require less twist than hardened ones?

Well, I think that the short answer is that hardness isn't the real issue, it is density of the bullet metal.  A lead-tin alloy bullet may be harder than a pure lead bullet, but it will also be less dense, and the angular momentum of the spinning bullet will be less.  But since the profile of the bullet hasn't changed, the bullet will experience the same destabilizing forces from the atmosphere.  Less angular momentum + same destabilizing force = a less stable bullet.

Doug Nelson

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2005 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
I have found this site 2 b very interesting concerning ballistics

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

rimfire

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2005 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Doug,

I think you're losing me here. By angular momentum I think you are referring to rotation.... right? If so the density/wgt. of the bullet has no bearing on that factor. Rotation is imparted by the twist and so would be the same for either.

It has also been established that rotation slows down at a much slower rate than forward motion. A point might be made then that the lighter bullet would lose it's rotation faster. But, for me the question is....... Even tho the one bullet out of the same mould might be lighter I don't think that the wgt. difference between the two would be great enough to require a different twist for the heavier bullet. The difference in alloy wgt.'s would be in the tenth of one percent range for any given wgt. bullet.

But, it's also a fact that if you have a marginal twist for a given bullet that increasing MV will only help for a relatively short distance. the only cure is to increase the twist rate unless the range you're shooting at is sufficient for the marginal twist. I have a .45/70 that shoots very well out to 400 yds. with a 405 gr. PP bullet, but will start tumbling between there and 425 yds., completely missing the target frame in most instances. I've also shot to long bullets in a .32/40 that would do good work at 100 but show major tipping at 200.

To put it all together....... The twist rate for a given bullet is not governed by the wgt., it's governed by the length. Of course in most instances a heavier bullet is also longer, but not always! So I think there has to be some other reason for Lowe's statement.

PETE

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Quote:
Doug,

To put it all together....... The twist rate for a given bullet is not governed by the wgt., it's governed by the length. Of course in most instances a heavier bullet is also longer, but not always! So I think there has to be some other reason for Lowe's statement.

PETE

My understanding is a little different. Stability increases as the density of the bullet increases, decreases as the density of the flight medium (air) increases, and is affected only slightly by velocity. Then for a given velocity, air density and bullet density, the stability is a function of bullet length. For most normal conditions, i.e. air on earth, lead alloy bullets and velocities from 1000-2000 fps or so, Greenhill works fine. It has been reported numerous times that better bore and bullet quality allow slower twist/longer bullets. So perhaps Greenhill is conservative, cause faster twist and the perhaps mythological over-stabilization is better than slower twist and keyholes. The 80 grain NEI 22 bullet never keyholed in a 9" Savage, but is humerous to shoot at 50 yards in a 222.
I've never understood that bullets become unstable at low velocity, say at 1000 yards, because of the twist-length relationship. I've read allusions to such, but no hard data. 
If, say, 457125's are going ?800fps? at 1000 after a 1200fps launch, and if one suspects that they become unstable, why not shoot some at 100 yards and 800 fps? Would they be stable?
joe b. 

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Joe,

You bring up some good points that I'd like to comment on but don't have the knowledge to do so. Such as density having to do with stability.

I will argue the point about Greenhill being satisfactory for the conditions you state. That's the very point why people a 100 yrs. ago, and today, feel it doesn't really suit our needs, and why many other formulas have been put forth in trying to find something that really works. Using the 150 constant just doesn't cut it in most cases. As a result some of us use constants of 125or 130 as we feel this gives a better result.

I don't agree with the premise that stability is a function of bullet length. Stability is given to a bullet by the rotation of it. So it doesn't make any difference the length as long as the twist is correct for it.

I've never understood that low velocity caused a bullet to become unstable. As mentioned above a lack of proper twist will cause a bullet to be unstable at any velocity. An exception would be if the bullet has traveled beyond the distance where rotation has slowed to the point where it becomes unstable.

This brings up a point that I've wondered about. Can a bullet be rotating so fast that as the velocity decreases to a certain point it will become unstable? Cast bullets will have flaws in them and it might be possible that as forward velocity drops on a bullet rotating faster than is necessary that it will become unstable enuf to start yawing or tumbling.

PETE

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
The issue with bullets becoming unstable at longer ranges probably has much more to do with trassonic behaviour - passing from supersonic to subsonic with a less-than-ideal shape causes buffeting and will destabilize an otherwise stable bullet because of the shockwave transition.  One just has to look at supersonic and subsonic shockwave profiles to see what will happen.  My take is that in certain cases (i.e. barely enough stability for the supersonic  situation), the trassonic buffeting will cause enough instability to make the bullet loose its gyroscopic stability permanently, and start  up a yaw pattern which will increase up to the point of overturning.  Early supersonic airplanes also suffered from this phenomenon - but airplane design doesn't have to take into account the rifle bullet shape restrictions, so they could minimize the effect by aerodynamical optimization - which wouls not be that easy with a bullet, and which would also explain that some designs apparently suffer more from it than other...  Just my take on the subject, for whatever it is worth.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
MartiniBelgium,

I'm not sure that this idea holds up in practice. If a bullet passing through the transonic region would lose it's stability then very few cast bullets would survive past 200 yds. Twist is what keeps these bullets stable. Of course if you're running very close to a marginal twist then dropping down thru the transonic region could be enuf to de-stabilize it. But with enuf spin a bullet will re-stablize itself. This shows up very well in modern rifles with twists meant for jacketed bullets at MV's near 3000 fps. I found this out when shooting CBA competition with .30 cal. cartridges using both 1-12 & 1-10 twists. The 1-10 twist always seemed to shoot better. For SS's in the .32/40 class it's easy to see better stability in a 1-14 twist than the old "standard" 1-16.

I'm gonna go off on a tangent here because that last is gonna bring forth the argument that someones .32/40 1-16 twist gun shoots pretty good. For the life of me I can't see where this argument ever sprang from since the old timers did everything in their power to make sure the bullets they shot in their target rifles went, as they put it, "point on", or "printed well". As far as I'm concerned any bullet that does not stabilize within a few yards of the muzzle can't possibly be as accurate as one that will, if for no other reason than a yawing bullet presents more surface...... and an irregular one at that..... to the air flow over it. As anyone who has ever spun a top can tell you, once the top starts to lose it's balance it's down hill all the way.

PETE

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 7th, 2005 at 3:15am
Print Post  
Pete,
Twist is indeed what keeps the bullet stable - but the transsonic region needs more of  it than the supersonic or subsonic region by themselves.  One of the reasons why Palma shooters try to keep their bullets supersonic all the way to the target.  And your spinning top doesn't fall over immediately - its starts with a slight wobble which will gradually increase (because it doesn't spin fast enough anymore) right up to stability loss.  now give the spinning top a good whack.  When it has enough rpm, it will become stable again rather quickly.  However, when the rpm is low, you could have just caused a 'fatal' instability a bit earlier than without the external cause (which is what we're talking about here - don't forget, before complete understanding of the problem, quite a few airplanes actually disintegrated while trying to pass the sonic barrier - the buffeting is that bad).  This could explain why some rifles shoot well out to a certain distance, and then accuracy comes apart - maybe they have a marginal but adequate supersonic twist, and the bullet permanently destabilizes at the distance where the transition of supersonic to subsonic takes place.  When the rpm is high enough, on the other hand, stability is re-acquired, bullet yaw is dampened out, and accurate bullet flight continues.   
There could be other causes too - but this seems to me one of the more important ones.   I won't guarantee I'm right, but it does seem logical...

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 7th, 2005 at 7:01am
Print Post  
Quote:
Joe,

Such as density having to do with stability.

I will argue the point about Greenhill being satisfactory for the conditions you state. That's the very point why people a 100 yrs. ago, and today, feel it doesn't really suit our needs, and why many other formulas have been put forth in trying to find something that really works. Using the 150 constant just doesn't cut it in most cases. As a result some of us use constants of 125or 130 as we feel this gives a better result.

I don't agree with the premise that stability is a function of bullet length. Stability is given to a bullet by the rotation of it. So it doesn't make any difference the length as long as the twist is correct for it.

Pete et al;
First, bullet stability is precisely defined mathematically, I just don't know how to do the math. This topic has been defined for years.
Bullet Density. Greenhill assumed a bullet specific gravity of 10.9. a pretty hard alloy or a bullet with a copper or ? jacket. Lead has a s.g. of 11.34, 20:1 lead:tin has a s.g. of 11.1X.
Then with soft = more dense bullets the required twist is less, so I'm thinking the 150 could be increased slightly. 
Stability is a function of bullet length for any given twist. Means that at the edge, longer bullets are less, and shorter bullets are more, stable.
Above 2800 fps or so folks start to use 180 in greenhill, they've lost a little density but the velocity more than makes up for it.
When you say that the 150 doesn't cut it, I disagree. My experience is that Greenhill adequately gives the MINIMUM twist required for any caliber/bullet length pair. In general, Greenhill probably gives us faster twists than we need with dense cast bullets at lower velocities. I just picked up a 45-450 Ohaus bullet and measured it, it's 1.094" long. At 125, twist = 23.9", at 150, twist = 28.6". My 45's have twists from 18" to 22". I know of no case where the predicted twist did not stabilize the bullet, and would be very interested in hearing of some. 
When you mention using 125 or 130 in Greenhill, you are suggestng that twist should/must be increased by about 1/6 th. That's quite a bit. What is the rest of the story, gun, bullet, caliber, ctg etc? 
I read about this transonic business, but am very skeptical. Most bullets go through the sound barrier at attainable = not 27 miles ranges. 22 rf at short ranges, others at higher ranges. 32/40's probably at 200+ yards? I've shot my 32/35 Maynard at 600 yards with reasonable accuracy, could keep them in the black. I doubt that anything horrible happens as the bullet goes through the sound barrier. Good shooters at long range shot great scores with 30/06's that most probably went under sos before the target. I've yet to see any evidence. Clearly the BPCR folks work with the dreaded transsonic region all the time. Probably just more opinion and theory masquerading as fact. 
Again, I'd like to hear about when /what conditions greenhillo must have the 150 replaced by a smaller number, the twist must be faster.
joe b.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 7th, 2005 at 7:42am
Print Post  
Joe, 
Transsonic buillet behaviour doesn't have to be a problem - provided the twist is adequate (read fast enough).  But I am pretty certain that a marginal twist can go unstable during this transition phase.  The twist will be good enough to provide stability both during supersonic and subsonic bullet travel, but the transition is what gives the problem.  Indeed, the BP guys have to deal with it, and are getting such findings.  Marginally stable bullets can provide great accuracy, out to a certain distance - and then all goes to hell.  Which is why I am a fervent believer of faster twists - for me, overstabilization is by far the lesser evil.  Of course, there are quite a lot of variables there:  Bullet shape, temp, pressure,....  which all have an influence.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jan 7th, 2005 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
MArtiniBelgium,

Don't know what to add to your post because it says exactly what I was saying only in different words.

Joeb.

On whether Greenhill is adequate.... I will let you argue that out with Dick Gunn and those with more knowledge than I have on the subject. They will disagree with you for the most part, if not all where Greenhill is concerned. What Greenhill will, or will not, do at 2800 fps is beyond my experience with cast bullets of any persuasion, and is far outside the parameters of this Forum or any other dealing with Schuetzen or BP cartridges.

Don't understand what info you are looking for in your "rest of the story" comment. There is no "rest of the story"! Many have found that using Greenhill's original constant does not ALWAYS, I repeat ALWAYS give a correct twist rate for a given bullet/caliber. We have to keep in mind that Greenhill's formula was not developed, nor meant in any way, to be used for small bore projectiles. We have only used it because it used to be the only formula that gave us a rough approximation of what was needed.

With that in mind the only point I wished to make in the original post was that even within a few years of Greenhill publishing his formula the shooters of the day were questioning the varacity of it for small bore use. Also I wished to show that many things we are just now coming to deal with were already known and excepted over a 100 yrs. ago. Going thru the Warner-Lowe letters it is amazing the things we are just finding out in the last 20 yrs. that were already "old hat" a 100 yrs ago. In a way it's really sad to since all we seem to be doing, for the most part, is re-inventing the wheel as far as Schuetzen and BP topics are concerned.

PETE

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #14 - Jan 8th, 2005 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Amen Pete

The more that I learn the more I understand that all these new breakthroughs are the stuff that the oldtimers thought was common knowledge and didn't bother to write it down. The last couple of years the first place that I go is back to the old masters. 
Those that don't know their history are doomed to repeat it.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint