Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hard cases (Read 3062 times)
joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Hard cases
Jan 13th, 2005 at 6:40am
Print Post  
I travel 100 miles to Miami to shoot each Wednesday, mostly on a motorcycle. For the past four years I've roped a rifle, in a soft case or blanket or hard case, to the bike. Hard cases are long and stick way out on either side of te bike; soft cases and the blanket method reduce the width. This week I got the brilliant idea of replacing the clothesline and granny knots with bungee cords exclusively. About 22 miles from home, in the dark, I discovered that the hard case, M54 Winchester, 20X STS and cleaning rod were no longer attached to the bike. While saying the appropriate words I turned around and started searching. Six miles back, on a bridge, I found the case and bungee cords, everything intact, on the side of the road. The case says "ProMax", "Protector" series, and Alex bought it for me at a gun show for $10. My trip to Miami and back gave me time to think, and I did, and I think that I'll never use a soft case to carry a rifle again-even when I'm taking a car. My soft cases would allow a dropped rifle to be damaged, I'll bet. But those cheap hard cases proved their worth to me yesterday.
joe b.         clothesline and granny knots from now on

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: Hard cases
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2005 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Joe,

Good story, but the thing that came to my mind was how you've been doing this and not been stopped by the cops? Or, is this the "rest of the story!".  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2005 at 6:36am
Print Post  
Never stopped by the cops, been here since Sept 00 and going to Miami on a bike.
joe b.

IP Logged

Lee_Stone
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Try square knots. Won't slip like granny knots might and easier to untie.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint