Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Re: Question about .22 Short Schuetzen Rifles. (Read 4001 times)
PETE
Ex Member

Re: Question about .22 Short Schuetzen Rifles.
Jan 13th, 2005 at 10:21am
Print Post  
MP,

I assume you are talking at what ranges the .22 short was used in this country? If so, these guns were most always used in shooting galleries, and the standard distance was 75 ft. If you ever have a chance to look over some of the big indoor match results in S&F, these matches were all shot at that distance.

But, that's not cast in stone. Like now, they shot at whatever distance they could come up with.

PETE

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2005 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
I have a Winder low-wall musket in .22 short with a perfect barrel and it shoots extremely well. It is  ammo sensitive but it is amazing for its caliber. I certainly am not going to take it to Etna Green for the matches, but it sure does well at my normal indoor range of fifty feet. In fact, I witnessed the previous owner shooting an EXCELLENT group at 100 yards in near perfect conditions. Of course, in any kind of wind, the .22 long rifle will beat a short "all hollow" everything else being equal.

Dale53

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2005 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
I too have a Win. 1885 Special Sporting deluxe rifle, with Swiss buttplate, chambered for .22 short. Like Dale's gun, it works extremely well at short distances, but at our outdoor range of 100 yds, it's not nearly as adequate, unless all is calm!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2005 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Just prior to WW I there were gallery ranges in some of the big cities like Zettler Bros in NY where the .22 short was the cartridge of choice.  In fact, I think I remember reading about the last of the famous Election Day matches being gallery matches with .22s.  One thing about that reduced target, even with indoor conditions and at "close range," it still ain't very forgiving!!    Roll Eyes

Froggie

IP Logged

rafter-7
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2005 at 12:43am
Print Post  
I too have a 1885 high wall take down schutzen dst and a no. 2 oct only in 22lr.  it shoots hard for what it is  its no anschutz  my friend arjunky shot that gun into third place at a local 50 yrd shoot. it was right behind a 52d and a 1411 match anschutz but it was ahead of other 52s a kimber and a walther the older win.seem to like the RWS brand ammo i always start with that

rafter-7

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint