Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Redfield Olympic sights (Read 25641 times)
FAsmus
Ex Member

Redfield Olympic sights
Dec 8th, 2004 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
I'd like to ask the forum about this sight.

You see, I'd like to up-grade the sights on my M1895 Marlin and the Redfield sight has been suggested by Pete. However! I need a sight with lots of elevation in order to reach out to our 800 yard distance and Pete doesn't know the answer to my question.

The sight I am currently using requires about a full 2 minutes of elevation change from the 100 yard zero to reach this distance. 

Does anyone have one of the Redfield sights? Or know how much elevation is available on them?

All assistance is appreciated.

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Re: Redfield Olympic sights
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2004 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Darn!

Make that "Degrees" where I posted "minutes" !

Forrest

IP Logged

Whatcheer
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2004 at 8:22am
Print Post  
Don't know your setup but possibly a change in the height of the front sight could also be used.  My BSA had a stepped front sight base, high for 50 yards and low for 100 yards so only minor adjustments needed to be made, saved wear and tear.

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2004 at 11:26am
Print Post  

I Don't know your setup but possibly a change in the height of the front sight could also be used.

Whatcheer,

Thanks for the post.

Unfortunately the elevation change is much greater than any front sight could accomodate. I got the wrong term in my first post but corrected it.

If a fellow looks to the sight movement for 2 degrees of elevation, knowing that at the sight radius of an average M1895 Marlin will calculate out at 0.006 inches sight movement per minute of angle he will come up with about 3/4 inch sight movement for 2 degrees: Much too much for a front sight to move.

Good morning,
Forrest

My BSA had a stepped front sight base, high for 50 yards and low for 100 yards so only minor adjustments needed to be made, saved wear and tear. [/quote]

IP Logged

Long_Rifle_101
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2004 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Hello Forrest, There is a redfield international sight on e-bay, item # 7118810168 that I listed and the auction is up 6:00
PM Friday. You can mount this sight on your rifle by useing a side plate or better to make a riser off the tang. I have such an application on a lo-wall for schuetzen shooting.
Long Rifle

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2004 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
I have a Redfield Olympic sight on my O3 Target rifle. It's 60 moa adjustment or about 5/8 inch travel. On my Smallbore M1922 Springfield the Lyman 48 has 120 moa travel and it's over an inch.

I am no expert on the Redfields but I think the "Palma" is the one with a long slide and more travel. I doubt however they have more travel than a Lyman 48. 

I don't know your caliber or bullet but if it's something like a 45/70 it takes a whole lot of staff to reach 800 yards. My Trapdoor Cadet model has the sight on the barrel so sight radius is not so much as on a tang sight. With 24 inch sight radius it shows 1 1/4 inch movement on the staff to change from 200 to 1000 yards. In fact I use even more since I shoot a 405 gr bullet and need to dial 1200 plus on the staff to zero at 1000 yards. 

If you had 36 inch radius like on most tang sight single shots it cuts staff height required by 1/3.  But they also need staff to get from the tang to sight line so they end up being very long too.

I don't know how much you will shoot the Marlin at long range. It takes a lot of sight and set up that way is probably not very balanced for most general shooting 

You can use  alternate sighting, Put a bullseye higher and on line with your intended target to sight only. You change and adjust just like you were sighting on the actual bull but the bullet is actualy striking the intended target.

This has worked for me using pistols on Steel swingers at 500 yards. The sighter target was on top of the berm about 20 feet higher than the steel swinger. 

It all depends on how you plan to spend most of your time. Long range and short range with high trajectory bullets is hard to acheave.

Boats

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
There is a redfield international sight on e-bay, item # 7118810168 that I listed and the auction is up 6:00
PM Friday.

Long_Rifle,

I was not here in time to bid on the sight you posted about but thanks for the message.

Actually, I don't know enough about eBay to go right to the location of a given piece. I should figure it out someday.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Boats,

Thanks for your post about sights.

I seem to remember the Lyman 48 was built for mounting on the right side of various bolt actions. I like the amount of travel but getting it moved over to the left side of the Marlin might be hard to do.

B: I am no expert on the Redfields but I think the "Palma" is the one with a long slide and more travel. I doubt however they have more travel than a Lyman 48. 

F:  Yes. Now that you have said it I know you must be right. Does anyone know more about the Palma Sight or where to find one?

B:  I don't know your caliber or bullet but if it's something like a 45/70 it takes a whole lot of staff to reach 800 yards. My Trapdoor Cadet model has the sight on the barrel so sight radius is not so much as on a tang sight. With 24 inch sight radius it shows 1 1/4 inch movement on the staff to change from 200 to 1000 yards. In fact I use even more since I shoot a 405 gr bullet and need to dial 1200 plus on the staff to zero at 1000 yards. 

F:  Yes!

The sight movement is considerable. I did not intend to shoot the 40/65 any further than 800 yards, and that is plenty far enough for the lever rifle design and intent for me. None-the-less my modifed receiver sight goes high enough that I have to shoot with my jaw open in order to stabilize my head to the buttstock as I sight the rifle at 800 yards.

B: I don't know how much you will shoot the Marlin at long range. It takes a lot of sight and set up that way is probably not very balanced for most general shooting.

F: I made the rifle for hunting but have not used it for its intended purpose for some years now. 

These days I use it exculsively for long range shooting.

B:  You can use  alternate sighting, Put a bullseye higher and on line with your intended target to sight only. You change and adjust just like you were sighting on the actual bull but the bullet is actualy striking the intended target.

F:  Steel silhouettes are all we shoot here!

B: It all depends on how you plan to spend most of your time. Long range and short range with high trajectory bullets is hard to achieve.

F: Sure, this is so. 

On the other hand the old semi-modifed M336 Marlin (M1895) does well when single-loaded with long heavy bullets. I am satisfied with the rifle's accuracy and performance. Now I'd like to have better, more easily used sights.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Fasmas,

Lyman 48's come both left and right handed. But considering what you have told me tang sights are the way to go for your Marlin M 1895  In Single Shot exchange and some of the other magazines a lot of sights are avalable and some are not as expensive as others. If you are shooting swingers and always at the same range you don't have to have the precise veener adjustments the more expensive sights offer.   

If you go tang sight you need a lot less staff to adjust properly. And the old Redfields and Lymans cost well over 100 dollars used.  There are some new tang sights made specificly for the big lever actions that will screw right on.

You can do very well with a tang sight that you have to use a dial caliper  to set for distances. Many years ago most Springfields and Kraigs had the sight leaf set with a OHare or Parker Hale micromoter.  They were built for the job and read in MOA but in the end they do the same thing as a dial claiper. 

While you can calculate the adjustment in MOA it is not required. If your 600 yard sight is 1.35 and your 700 is 1.48 and it's recorded in a sight table that's all you need.

The advantage of MOA adjustments is on strange ranges and moving the sight to adjust as a spotter tells you. In short order you will get a feel for how much in 1/100 of a inch the same thing applys.

The only thing you have to watch is measure from the same refrence points each time. I used to set a sliding bar tang on a H & R officers model repro 45/70 that way with good results.

I always use one to adjust my various loading dies to the correct settings and have a small "Die book" with the measurements recorded. It always sets properly and my dies are not the expensive Micromoter types.

The cheekpiece is another problem. The lace on Leather cheekpieces like M 1903 sniper rifles are the way to go. On the 03's the sight line with a scope was so high they had to raise the cheekpiece, You can do the same with your Marlin and not have to alter the stock.

I see them for sale repro sometimes but if you can't find one it's not a hard leather job to make one.   

Boats

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Boats,

I've already mentioned this to Forrest, but if you're looking for a repro of the O'Hare micrometer sight adjuster you can check out the following web site. From the talk on the CSP Forum it seems like they'll be starting up production in a week or so.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

PETE

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 13th, 2004 at 5:13am
Print Post  
How about this. Buy a $45 or so micrometer rear sight for flat side rifles. Make or have made an adapter that screws onto your rifle and holds the micrometer rear sight up in the air, so almost max elevation with the front at lowest puts you on at max distance.. Make or have made a front sight base that allows elevation changes; in steps maybe. Add a cheek-raiser to the stock. Now you keep your face in the same place and make major elevation changes with the front sight, minor changes with the rear micrometer sight. This has always made more sense to me than that 2" staff and your face is way off the stock.
I've got some sights that may be just what's needed. 
With a micrometer rear in place, what's the distance between sights now? Estimate from the screw holes if needed.
joe b.

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Dec 13th, 2004 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Lyman 48's come both left and right handed. But considering what you have told me tang sights are the way to go for your Marlin M 1895 

Boats,

I have plenty of tang sights in my bag of tricks already and would have installed one long ago.. if they would fit.

The problem is that the long bolt-throw of the lever rifle combined with the small of the stock being relitivly high make this impossible: Even with the tang sight in the "down" position there is not enough clearance for the action to operate.

I own and shoot several single shot rifles over long ranges and am accustomed to the use of tang sights in their various configurations.

The most common sight staff graduations are inches, with the vernier scale for adjustments in 0.010 incriments. This, as we know, is one minute of angle with the 36 inch sight raduis. 

The full 36 inch distance between sights makes for a pretty long rifle! but Ifind that I like degrees and minutes somewhat better than inches and hundredts. It seems more "Traditional" somehow and my current sights on the CPA Stevens and 1895 Marlin are both in degrees.

I keep sight-setting cards in the ammunition boxes. These are therefore always with the rifle and hold enough information to allow me to step up to just about any firing line with fair confidence.

Thanks for the post, good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 13th, 2004 at 10:41am
Print Post  
If you're looking for a repro of the O'Hare micrometer sight adjuster you can check out the following web site.

PETE,

I have gone over to the location you posted.

That is the exact item! I would have ordered one this minute if they were available!

If the M1903 weren't a bolt rifle I'd go on to say a few things about the shooting I've done lately with mine but this is ASSRA, after all.

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 13th, 2004 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Forrest,

According to the talk on some of the Forums the O'Hare repro should be available in a coupa weeks. One guy mentioned he'd emailed in his back order. Might be something you can consider to.

Just to keep this on SS's. Do you think you could use it on a trapdoor sight? Maybe even some of those cheap tang sights that don't have a screw for elevation, or markings? Since I don't own an 03 this was an idea that ran thru my mind when first seeing them.

PETE

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 13th, 2004 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Buy a $45 or so micrometer rear sight for flat side rifles. Make or have made an adapter that screws onto your rifle and holds the micrometer rear sight up in the air, so ...

Joe,

I've tried various modifications to production receiver sights over the years.

The best was when I had the FBW in Scheutzen configuration, chambered to 30 Herrett LN down at Coors in the 80s.

I had a 22RF match sight screwed to the side of the FBW receiver via an adapter plate such as you describe. To increase the amount of elevation available I made extentions to the peep aperature attach point such that I could raise the sight in 0.500 incriments.

This was necessary mostly because of the height of the front sight and the modifcations worked well. Looked kind of strange though and if I'd known anything like what I know now about tang sights I'd never have done it that way.

J:  Make or have made a front sight base that allows elevation changes; in steps maybe.

F: Once again you mention front sights adjustable for elevation.

Have you ever seen such a sight?

In thinking about this proposition always remember that to increase elevation (shoot over longer range) you must reduce the height of the front sight. It does not take long at all for things to approach impossibility here: You would have to start out with a front sight at least an inch and half tall. And! the rear sight would still have to be fairly high, otherwise you'd never be able to come down enough at the front to hit at long range.

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint